Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which boats would you choose?

cjohnson8080

Speaking from experience, I currently have a 98 response and 07 247.

The decision on response was simple, unless you need to use the open bow for seating, which isn't very good anyway, a CB response offers a lot more storage and less maintenance. I chose a 98 as that was the first year of the diamond hull and skis the exact same as even a brand new response. So, if at the end of the rope it skis like a newer boat, I got the oldest year possible since I just use it for a slalom tractor. We use stargazer and am very happy with it's functionality and parameters which will allow you to run hot or cold times by just selecting different times, unlike "classic" which would mess with the feel of the pull to do so and it's my understanding that 0 off won't allow that.

As to the 247, it's simply the biggest and baddest. Space is huge, wake potential is huge, and drives great in chop. That said, since I keep the boats in a boathouse, on a rougher day, the 247 is a little big to handle for my wife in and out of the boathouse hence why mine is for sale. If interested, pm me, I have it listed in classifieds.

Really? I've owned both. The open bow boat you sweep the walkway and wipe down the seats with 303. The closed bow I crawled up into the bow with the sweeper every month or so often to clean the carpet. Can't see the open bow being much of a maintenance difference?

My choices if you've got a big family would be a SSLXI and a 247 for the SSLXI's trunk space and room. That bad boy still skis really well A small family - CB Response and a 247. Thumbup.gif

Really? I've owned both. The open bow boat you sweep the walkway and wipe down the seats with 303. The closed bow I crawled up into the bow with the sweeper every month or so often to clean the carpet. Can't see the open bow being much of a maintenance difference?

My choices if you've got a big family would be a SSLXI and a 247 for the SSLXI's trunk space and room. That bad boy still skis really well A small family - CB Response and a 247. Thumbup.gif

Cleaning, sweeping, wiping, drying, etc......Not a concern...I'm hiring 06vlx to handle all that stuff :biggrin:

I don't need a garbage can and cooler anyway....you think I could take them out somehow and have similar sacs on both sides?

Oh Yea...I need a world class wave to have any chance at looking like a recreational Joe. :cry:

The garbage can sits down in a hole, so when you remove the can, there is a hole there. The sack could easily lay on top of that, it isn't that big. Not sure I have yet to see anyone remove the cooler. Knocking down the wall would be easy with a good strong arm and a Rotozip. I think the question would be on the floor of the cooler. I have no idea if you could just carpet the floor of the cooler and have a reasonably factory looking setup, or if there is a difference in floor height between the storage compartment and cooler. I would be willing to bet it would be pretty easy to do. Even if there were a step-up, I bet it would not affect the tongue portion of the ballast bag in there.

This is the bag I use:

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1813

And I honestly cannot believe that they can sell this bag for $750 and not give you plugs. You can only imagine my disappointment the first time I went to use it and realized I had a bag with 6 holes in it...and I had 5 plugs I could dig out of the glove box and off of another sack. :crazy:

Ski Boat: 99 Ski Nautique with the GT40. In my opinion best ski boat made in the late 90's Plenty of them out there.

or an 84 MC Stars and Stripes.

09 LSV. Sac it up and have some fun.

Ski Boat: 99 Ski Nautique with the GT40. In my opinion best ski boat made in the late 90's ...

:plus1: I think the year range was 97-02. The 196 CB w/ the original TSC hull. Fantastic wake @ 34 MPH / all line lengths. :thumbup:

:plus1: I think the year range was 97-02. The 196 CB w/ the original TSC hull. Fantastic wake @ 34 MPH / all line lengths. :thumbup:

Is it good at 30mph...my wife and her MILF friends ski at 30 about 4 days a week.

Is it good at 30mph...my wife and her MILF friends ski at 30 about 4 days a week.

Not sure. I've never skied that slow behind it. The one in our rotation belongs to a fair weather skier and is put away for the year already so I can't help you out with the info until spring. Sorry... I would ask the owner of the boat but he will just give me the totally predictable Nautique Owner answer. :lol: "It's the best wake at XX speed of any boat out there..." Blah, Blah, Blah,.... :Doh:

:lol:

Not sure. I've never skied that slow behind it. The one in our rotation belongs to a fair weather skier and is put away for the year already so I can't help you out with the info until spring. Sorry... I would ask the owner of the boat but he will just give me the totally predictable Nautique Owner answer. :lol: "It's the best wake at XX speed of any boat out there..." Blah, Blah, Blah,.... :Doh:

:lol:

I hear you....I suspect my wife wouldn't know the difference anyhow. Thanks for the info.

Around here we love to diss the "Nautique Snobs " when they're not around. But when one shows up, nobody refuses a tow when offered.

The Nautique owner that I was referring to is not so much a snob as he is a true believer (Kool-aide drinker). He is also a close personal friend that I have said these exact things to in the past. There is no denying that there is a common sense of arrogance that surrounds a large percentage of Nautique owners.

And no, I don't refuse a pull from him just like he doesn't refuse a pull from me (unless the water is cold).

RLX with a HH or TXi with some HP's

&

WVLX, WLSV or W247.

My truck and I are for hire, to tow your toys to your favorite vacation spot. Will send you a resume.

Edited by CumminsBu

Tiny platform, no good "seat" to get your ski on from, spray issues, slow, small and cramped....I don't share the same enthusiasm on that boat. From behind the boat, it's been a few years since I skied one, but, personally, I would not consider it over a similar era response. Not to mention the gt40 no longer made (no ford engines used by anyone anymore) so while some places may still have a good part selection, those are limited. Monsoons of that era bear a striking resemblance to the modern ones.

Tiny platform, no good "seat" to get your ski on from, spray issues, slow, small and cramped....I don't share the same enthusiasm on that boat. From behind the boat, it's been a few years since I skied one, but, personally, I would not consider it over a similar era response. Not to mention the gt40 no longer made (no ford engines used by anyone anymore) so while some places may still have a good part selection, those are limited. Monsoons of that era bear a striking resemblance to the modern ones.

Tiny platform...as long as it's bigger than my ski... :crazy:

No good "seat"...???...I don't sit down when putting my ski on. :unsure:

Spray issues...Maybe you're skiing faster or shorter lines than I am but at 34mph 22-32 off there are no spray issues. :no:

Slow...every boat seems slow after skiing behind Sportsters and Responses... :lol:

Small and cramped...ever been in a Sportster? :lol:

The Ford power plant is a valid point. Never been under the clamshell of that boat. That would be enough to keep me from buying one. The other points you raised are mostly personal preference / opinion type things.

I'm with Narcalibu. I stated I wouldn't buy a Nautique. But I will say I would put it on the short list if somebody asked me what they should get for a late 90's slalom boat.

I ski behind one regularly 22 and 28 off, 32 and 34 MPH. My wife 15 off 30 and 32 MPH. Nautique has the edge at 22 off.

But I seriously doubt parts will be in short supply for a long time. There are tons of 351 blocks still out there. And that GT-40 is a very reliable workhorse.

That said, I would still take my Echelon for my uses if I we're looking again. Slalom, Barefoot, West coast styling, solid built quality, and fast as hell (for an inboard).

Tiny platform...as long as it's bigger than my ski... :crazy:

No good "seat"...???...I don't sit down when putting my ski on. :unsure:

Spray issues...Maybe you're skiing faster or shorter lines than I am but at 34mph 22-32 off there are no spray issues. :no:

Slow...every boat seems slow after skiing behind Sportsters and Responses... :lol:

Small and cramped...ever been in a Sportster? :lol:

The Ford power plant is a valid point. Never been under the clamshell of that boat. That would be enough to keep me from buying one. The other points you raised are mostly personal preference / opinion type things.

Ever dealt with an injured skier on an undersized platform? Not good.

Maybe my technique is weird, I put ski on platform and sit on rear hatch area. Those era nautiques might have rear curves like a Kardashian but are hardly functional.

No spray issues for you? I don't mean like early 90s mastercraft spray, but with a little breeze I recall spray, perhaps I'm wrong, sorry.

True as to sportster size, but that's a different boat. A nautique is priced like a Mercedes. I don't like paying Mercedes money for smart car comfort. I'm not saying a response is big, but it's not cramped feeling like the nautique.

Ever dealt with an injured skier on an undersized platform? Not good.

No, I actually haven't. Knock on wood.

Maybe my technique is weird, I put ski on platform and sit on rear hatch area.

I guess sometimes I'll sit down if for some reason the crew in the boat isn't ready to go once I get the stick on my feet...but putting the ski on is a stand up and jam the feet in proposition.

No spray issues for you? I don't mean like early 90s mastercraft spray, but with a little breeze I recall spray, perhaps I'm wrong, sorry.

Maybe with a breeze...:dontknow:...I don't ski with a breeze. :no::lol:

True as to sportster size, but that's a different boat. A nautique is priced like a Mercedes.

True dat. That's why I have a 2000 Sportster and not a 2000 CC 196. In 02 when I bought my Sporty (with all of 26 hours on it) 2000 CC 196's were pulling more than $10K more than what I paid for my Sporty and the Sportster is a better crossover boat. I just love the 34mph wake of the 196 that's all.

Peace.