Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Phil Soven's MXZ

rennis

• 2 weeks later...

The wakes are not any different at all from a VLX to an MXZ. Rode in and behind one last weekend

I disagree. The reason I bought a Wakesetter is because my admiration for my friends VLX but everyone Ive talked to (yes including the dealers) have said differently.

I disagree. The reason I bought a Wakesetter is because my admiration for my friends VLX but everyone Ive talked to (yes including the dealers) have said differently.

Have you ridden behind a new VLX with a newer hull? What year is your friends VLX.

I have a 2011 VLX and just rode a 2012 MXZ

I've now ridden both. Plain and simple MXZ has a larger, meatier wake. Still as perfectly clean as the VLX. Quite an impressive boat

100% agree, I've owned a VLX the last 3 season and I have no reservation saying the MXZ is NOT the same. My son confirmed this on his first set and the decision was made on our next boat. I'm still a VLX advocate and its a great boat, hands down one of the best stock wakeboard wake in the industry. That said, thanks to our dealer we've been out the last two weeks in a 23LSV, weighted down its wake is huge and beefy. I honesty think the MXZ shares properties of both the VLX and LSV; we can't wait to see it's full potential. So no real argument from me, I guess I like them all.

The wakes are not any different at all from a VLX to an MXZ. Rode in and behind one last weekend

Im not trying to be a jerk or anything but what is your caliber of riding? Just curious. But from what i've heard its similar to what others have been saying in this thread.

So if you buy the MXZ you are guaranteed to pull of better tricks than with the VLX?

I would also think the amount of people in the boat also plays a factor, along with water conditions. I would think with the additional 450 lbs of weight the MXZ has it would create a larger wake than the VLX, which from what most are saying appears to be the case. I am sure most of it is marketing and hype for the MXZ, for the average joe rider either wake would probably be more than sufficient.

Would love to see the expert rider behind the VLX, then see him behind the MXZ and actually how much better of a rider he becomes with the wake. And what tricks he can perform behind the MXZ that he could not behind the VLX. This test would make me a believer.... otherwise, I think people are buying the MXZ for additional space and a new look, which is also fine.

Edited by Fman

I have to ask because you seem very honest, did your riding reach a new level with the MXZ coming from the VLX?

So if you buy the MXZ you are guaranteed to pull of better tricks than with the VLX?

I would also think the amount of people in the boat also plays a factor, along with water conditions. I would think with the additional 450 lbs of weight the MXZ has it would create a larger wake than the VLX, which from what most are saying appears to be the case. I am sure most of it is marketing and hype for the MXZ, for the average joe rider either wake would probably be more than sufficient.

Would love to see the expert rider behind the VLX, then see him behind the MXZ and actually how much better of a rider he becomes with the wake. And what tricks he can perform behind the MXZ that he could not behind the VLX. This test would make me a believer.... otherwise, I think people are buying the MXZ for additional space and a new look, which is also fine.

Fman,

To answer your first question, NO.

Once a rider has learned the proper technique they can throw most of their tricks behind any boat, it's just how big they can take it. I would in no way be disappointed to be back in a VLX and may even go to a 23LSV, we've never been out on a 247. I have not seen the MXZ marketing hype you are referring to, just giving our experience and it was very limited.

I would also think the amount of people in the boat also plays a factor, along with water conditions. I would think with the additional 450 lbs of weight the MXZ has it would create a larger wake than the VLX, which from what most are saying appears to be the case. I am sure most of it is marketing and hype for the MXZ, for the average joe rider either wake would probably be more than sufficient.Would love to see the expert rider behind the VLX, then see him behind the MXZ and actually how much better of a rider he becomes with the wake. And what tricks he can perform behind the MXZ that he could not behind the VLX. This test would make me a believer.... otherwise, I think people are buying the MXZ for additional space and a new look, which is also fine.

:unsure:

For the average joe, a mid-eighties ski nautique without a skylon is sufficient.

Fman,

To answer your first question, NO.

Once a rider has learned the proper technique they can throw most of their tricks behind any boat, it's just how big they can take it. I would in no way be disappointed to be back in a VLX and may even go to a 23LSV, we've never been out on a 247. I have not seen the MXZ marketing hype you are referring to, just giving our experience and it was very limited.

Malibu should "hype" up the MXZ, its what sells boats... its there new flagship boat, and has a lot to offer. Fortunately, I will never be that good of a rider to demand any larger wake than the VLX, with the extra 900 lbs we had the other day in it, I was really impressed with the wake.

I hope Malibu sells a lot of the MXZ's, the wider beam, spacious bow, and new look are great.... the boat is growing on me, out of all the pickleforks on the market, it looks the best... especially with the new X-star, it got even better.

It makes sense that the MXZ wake is similar but slightly bigger/beefier than the VLX, just look at the specs.

Specs: LSV MXZ VLX

Length: 23' 22'3" 21"6"

Beam: 102" 102" 100"

Draft: 27" 27" 24"

Weight: 3900 4000 3550

Fuel: 56gal 50 48

Also look at the pictures, the hull on the MXZ is clearly different than the hull on the VLX. It looks like Malibu has done a good job of keeping the VLX characteristics of the wake shape, but improved a few things on the hull to make the wake slightly better for wakeboarding (similar to what they already did with the A22).

IMG_2838.jpg

311618_2339860306129_1538571134_32506914_386739123_n.jpg

Malibu should "hype" up the MXZ, its what sells boats... its there new flagship boat, and has a lot to offer. Fortunately, I will never be that good of a rider to demand any larger wake than the VLX, with the extra 900 lbs we had the other day in it, I was really impressed with the wake.

I hope Malibu sells a lot of the MXZ's, the wider beam, spacious bow, and new look are great.... the boat is growing on me, out of all the pickleforks on the market, it looks the best... especially with the new X-star, it got even better.

I didn't take your comments as negative and think more info will come out as these boats get on the water. All the Malibu's get better with weight, but it's not necessary for most riders. We had stock ballast, 2 - 750's, and a 1000 bow sac in a 23LSV last night and it didn't phase it with a 1235 prop. The same weight in our VLX required a core prop and even dropping some weight if people were added. I'm curious how the MXZ will handle it, I ordered the 410 because you can tell the hull digs deeper.

At the last tournament this season I heard one complaint the VLX wake was too big in the upper division, that didn't offend me. :biggrin:

BTW, my son was feeling the LSV yesterday, landing two consecutive toe 9's off the wake!

I didn't take your comments as negative and think more info will come out as these boats get on the water. All the Malibu's get better with weight, but it's not necessary for most riders. We had stock ballast, 2 - 750's, and a 1000 bow sac in a 23LSV last night and it didn't phase it with a 1235 prop. The same weight in our VLX required a core prop and even dropping some weight if people were added. I'm curious how the MXZ will handle it, I ordered the 410 because you can tell the hull digs deeper.

At the last tournament this season I heard one complaint the VLX wake was too big in the upper division, that didn't offend me. :biggrin:

BTW, my son was feeling the LSV yesterday, landing two consecutive toe 9's off the wake!

No offense taken... nice thing is, all the wakesetter boats put out a great wake, its pretty much a win-win situation!

How old is your son? Would love to see some pics of him riding, my 9 year old is starting to clear the wake and is working on a 180/360. He is going to a wakeboard camp next year, and is going to start riding in the INT nor-cal league. He seems to really enjoy it, I think its because he does not have to run much, like in soccer :biggrin:

Not to HI-JACK this thread... but I really like this pic of him! He's a great kid... really enjoy watching him behind the boat! He was sooooo close to landing this 180!

IMG_8115.jpg

Edited by Fman

Fman,

Sweet shot of your son, it's great he's started riding early and has an Awesome boat too! My son is 17 and started INT at 13 as a Jr. Novice, the next year he rode the first contest at intermediate, then bumped to Expert and went on to win the division. He's was hurt most of this summer with a knee injury, but thankfully it was not serious. Thanks to CTi and the knee brace they fitted him with he's back on the water and stronger than ever. One reason more to anticipate the new boat and next season!