Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 X Star

CL-Rides

Yeah that's what I meant, but at some points of the video both sides are washed out. Someone else makes the point that this always happens, but in the Axis A22 video the wake to me looks a lot cleaner.

I don't know what to really think of this boat overall. Would I trade one for my boat? Yeah absolutely, because the power tower is half the price of my boat. But overall, a 24 foot boat belongs on a big lake. For those of us who live on a lake, that boat would require a MASSIVE lift, the interior doesn't seem very functional, more like a lounging area. It seems like a core wakeboard boat, instead of a overall wakeboard boat. Everything is overally complex and prone to break. Really, for the price to me the 04+ Xstar is a lot more appealing.

I can't afford this boat, but even if I could, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Who is? It's not a family boat. The people it seems to appeal to would be professional wake boarders, but don't they get their boats for free via sponserships? The up and coming pro's probably can't afford the boat either, so who will buy this?

Yeah im not sure why the wake washes out. But like what Fman said below in my post i assume its because of lots of different things.

But like you said and i agree with you, i'd totally buy an older X Star. My favourite all time is either the 2008 anniversary edition, the 2008 regular graphic or the 2006 and 2007 "graffiti" graphic and i would be completely happy with one of those boats even though they are older. Mind you i've never ridden behind an X Star but would love to try it

Not saying the 247 cant produce a nice wake, but the VLX is Malibus flagship boat, which according to many (ie: transworld magazine, my dealer, etc..) produces the most versatile, largest wakeboard wake in the wakesetter lineup. This must be why they use it to tow competitions, it is there core wakeboard boat. The 247 seems to be more desirable for surfing.... Maybe the MXZ will be replacing the VLX for competition towing?

There is more to "wake size" then just weight, hull design and how it is balanced out all play a roll. The X-star is not only 5,100 lbs but it also has a completely redesigned hull. Seems like most of the larger 24'+ boats have issues with wakes washing out, regardless of make. From what I could see on the video, the X-star wake looks large, but very sloppy and washed out.

Guess it all depends on what you want, I have been behind quite a few different boats and the VLX wake is amazingly versatile and clean at lower speeds, with an excellent transition...we ride from beginners to advanced, so it works perfect for our crew. I have never rode behind a 247, it might be similar or even better.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CL-Rides

• -BS-

• MARiley

• wakeboarder3780

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for the whitewash it does seem a bit extreme, however it's normal to have some witewash on the landing side because as the rider cuts from the opposite side he is tipping the boat towards him a bit which is essentially the same effect as having 2 or 3 too many people on that side and then the opposite wake washes out. You should notice with an aggressive rider that even as they cut out hard to prepare for their wake jump they make the opposite side wash out (no one sees it because they are looking at the rider way over on the opposite side).

Anyways. on to what I think about it.

Like:

MC is trying to provide more rear facing seating, even if they aren't first to market with it, I like rear facing seat options.

MC is trying (but failing IMO) to create bigger boats (24' model this year)

Dislike:

That boat honestly is the most aesthetically displeasing boat I've ever laid eyes upon. The way the lines swoop in the middle of the hull and the multiple layers make it look like a 7 layer salad on a V-shaped pan (or that the thing is made out of F'ing legos). While the picklefork was always subjective, I liked the earlier styling of the x-stars as I felt they were one of the few that did the look well. Now I think beached sperm whale is a precise definition man did they go backwards.

The electronics they've added are ridiculous and pointless. Powered LCD screen? Power tower? Have fun replacing all those components when they fail chumps, not to mention have fun waiting for that lcd to rise and turn on (and go down) every time you cycle the power on the boat.

How can you waste 24' like that? First off the bow didn't even look that big to me, and the main seating area was smaller than my 23 LSV and they have AN EXTRA FOOT. Seriously how are they wasting so much space?

As for the whitewash it does seem a bit extreme, however it's normal to have some witewash on the landing side because as the rider cuts from the opposite side he is tipping the boat towards him a bit which is essentially the same effect as having 2 or 3 too many people on that side and then the opposite wake washes out. You should notice with an aggressive rider that even as they cut out hard to prepare for their wake jump they make the opposite side wash out (no one sees it because they are looking at the rider way over on the opposite side).

Anyways. on to what I think about it.

Like:

MC is trying to provide more rear facing seating, even if they aren't first to market with it, I like rear facing seat options.

MC is trying (but failing IMO) to create bigger boats (24' model this year)

Dislike:

That boat honestly is the most aesthetically displeasing boat I've ever laid eyes upon. The way the lines swoop in the middle of the hull and the multiple layers make it look like a 7 layer salad on a V-shaped pan (or that the thing is made out of F'ing legos). While the picklefork was always subjective, I liked the earlier styling of the x-stars as I felt they were one of the few that did the look well. Now I think beached sperm whale is a precise definition man did they go backwards.

The electronics they've added are ridiculous and pointless. Powered LCD screen? Power tower? Have fun replacing all those components when they fail chumps, not to mention have fun waiting for that lcd to rise and turn on (and go down) every time you cycle the power on the boat.

How can you waste 24' like that? First off the bow didn't even look that big to me, and the main seating area was smaller than my 23 LSV and they have AN EXTRA FOOT. Seriously how are they wasting so much space?

Something i never understood about the X Star. :whistle:

I am starting to care less about colors, seating configuations towers, lines, ugly towers, dash layout, grafitti etc etc. Hell, pretty much even the price.

Can Mastercraft build an Xstar that doesnt have 20-30 poor quality and poor craftsmanship/assembly issues in the first year? Do they stand behind their warranty to quickly fix when they fall short and make it right?

Get those 2 right and you have yourself a hell of a boat. if you cant get those first 2 right, all the rest is irrelavent. Wake up Malibu.

I am starting to care less about colors, seating configuations towers, lines, ugly towers, dash layout, grafitti etc etc. Hell, pretty much even the price.

Can Mastercraft build an Xstar that doesnt have 20-30 poor quality and poor craftsmanship/assembly issues in the first year? Do they stand behind their warranty to quickly fix when they fall short and make it right?

Get those 2 right and you have yourself a hell of a boat. if you cant get those first 2 right, all the rest is irrelavent. Wake up Malibu.

:plus1:

I gota say I like the idea of rear facing seats, but it always makes the interior look so chopped up and not very appealing to me. I can appreciate what is trying to be done, but the whole boat looks pieced together? in my mind it has no flow to it at all. I have said before I like the much sleeker/classy look of the older Malibu boats over the new ones, but in my opinion, the new Malibus look much better then the Xstar, I even prefer how the Moomba looks over that Xstar! Does that mean its a poor boat, hell no. I think it is very functional, with the exception of the maybe dash, and the interior still looks small, especially for a 24 foot boat. I have always thought the Xstar interiors look small? Where do they use the space? I don't care for the big rounded, arching look of the Seadoo boats, and that hull kind of reminds me of one of those, and alot of my friends like that look? I don't care for the pickle fork look but would take the new MXZ over the Xstar without hesitation.

Doesn't that interior look very small for a 24ft boat?

post-5050-029676900 1315657970_thumb.jpg

I like it. I always thought the later MC boats looked like they were "overdesigned" to some degree with everything machined, etc. But this one looks cool IMO. Props to MC for incorporating new ideas -- some bad, some good -- but changes help move the industry.

For some reason I really like the solid interior. Reminds me of a classic Riva boat or sports car. Beautiful.

Not a fan of pickle fork either, but that's probably because I've never owned one. Would most likely appreciate the extra space.

Still love the overall look of Malibu better though. :) And it'd be hard to beat the customer service experience I've had from Malibu corporate (not dealer). They helped me big time on rebuilding my old Sunsetter -- which is a big reason why I bought another Maibu when I upgraded to a bigger boat.

And it'd be hard to beat the customer service experience I've had from Malibu corporate (not dealer). They helped me big time on rebuilding my old Sunsetter -- which is a big reason why I bought another Maibu when I upgraded to a bigger boat.

Who are you dealing with at corporate? They have no published numbers--those all went away within the last few yrs with the huge outflux of management---and seems all the common sense and talent. The regional reps wont return calls, respond to surveys, all they are there for is to work issues that arrise between dealers and corporate to keep things working for them. There is ZERO customer service with Malibu, other than what you might get from your local dealer... if you have a good one.

There is about zero chance that you can sell high end boats, throw them together with piss poor R&D, terrible QAQC in your assembly line, have tons of issues with your product and think you dont owe the customer anything other than what they might get from dealers.

Who are you dealing with at corporate? They have no published numbers--those all went away within the last few yrs with the huge outflux of management---and seems all the common sense and talent. The regional reps wont return calls, respond to surveys, all they are there for is to work issues that arrise between dealers and corporate to keep things working for them. There is ZERO customer service with Malibu, other than what you might get from your local dealer... if you have a good one.

There is about zero chance that you can sell high end boats, throw them together with piss poor R&D, terrible QAQC in your assembly line, have tons of issues with your product and think you dont owe the customer anything other than what they might get from dealers.

that sucks that you are having that much trouble with the boat. That said, they aren't like camrys where they make 500,000 a year and each one is nearly like the last. What I mean by that is that some imperfections are to be expected in the process. Of course "imperfections" and "system failures" are very different things and when you spend some coin you expect to be treated like you spent some coin.

And you are certainly proving that there's no WORSE advertising than a dissatisfied customer!

Not sure it is functional for Joe wakeboarder...but again, the audience is core wakeboarders with 125K to burn.

99% of people that own these boats ARE NOT core wakeboarders with 125k to burn. They are guys who want the biggest, baddest, thing the dealer will sell them no matter what the cost. I would honestly bet a years salary that the majority of people who own these boats can't even clear their wake........ These boats are status symbols, not wakeboard boats (although I'm sure the handful of pros that actually need a bigger wake like them).

that sucks that you are having that much trouble with the boat. That said, they aren't like camrys where they make 500,000 a year and each one is nearly like the last. What I mean by that is that some imperfections are to be expected in the process. Of course "imperfections" and "system failures" are very different things and when you spend some coin you expect to be treated like you spent some coin.

And you are certainly proving that there's no WORSE advertising than a dissatisfied customer!

if you want to know pricing msrp wise, i have a mc dealer friend, i can get answers to any specific

questions you may have.....be specific of x#, options etc.....

have been a bu owner for 25 years, echelon, then vette, then added '06 lsv for the family boat,,,

the '06 WAS and STILL IS the biggest lemon from a quality issue i've ever seen....dealer replaced

alot, but the replacement crap didnt last any longer than the original....makes me sick to think of

the expense i'm gonna have involved in a 'face lift' someday due to piss poor oem equipment

as far as mc/bu,,,comes down to dealer presence..... in Winter Haven, Florida "the chain of lakes city"

the chain has 10 to 1 mc's vs. bu's,,,,,5 to 1 nautiques to bu's,,,,,

scarpa's school is the only official bu' presence here and he's not showing any board boats...

zane zwenk is out here all the time pounding the lake with his mc teaching students....

Oh me either haha

Here are more pictures as well. Not sure im a fan of the seats in the corners and in the bow. Look like a space shuttle seat or something...

All that is missing are a bunch of guys in spotted costumes, red noses, friizzy hair and little hats with flowers.

This one didn't catch me half as ugly as the other side profile I saw, but that's just because the black with writing is camouflaging all those damn lego layers. Maybe this look would grow more on me over time but I don't think I'd ever call that boat "hot".

2012xstar_2.jpg

Wow, thats a bummer... if I felt like this about my VLX I would be trading it in this winter.... sounds like you need to move on to something else... I have had less problems with my VLX than I did my last boat... not saying the VLX is perfect, but overall seems like a solid runner after 125 hours this year.

Lets get serious this is a really nice looking boat ! !!

now i dont know if mastercraft have shot themselves in the foot with this one ..as its too big and too expensive...

i have heard 100's of problems with hydrolic tower..now those new screens and 3 of them ..i see alot of new problems till they saught out all the ups and downs...

that pop up screen...and the hydrolic tower... in salt water over time i dont see them working very good...

as for design mastercraft have it and the wraps for mastercraft make their boats look 100 times better.. malibu needs a serious wrap program ..

also with the g3 tower dear malibu.you need something to hold the tower when we drop it ..as it can rip the dash ..maybe some leaver so you can drop it as low as you want and lock it there..

The MXZ needs some cosmetic work..and the red and black boat they keep showing looks s***...use a better colour!!

apart i see malibu at the top again..great ,reliable boats !! they just need a funky model to blow the tower of the xstar ..and since the MSX is targeting the xstar market ..

make it more funky, colours,wraps ..

and how about plug and play option on malibu's ?????? why does axis have it and not the malibu's???

and some nicer interior colours and fabrics...

apart from that the parks and new xstar are great looking boats...

malibu get to work on that MXZ

i have heard 100's of problems with hydrolic tower..now those new screens and 3 of them ..i see alot of new problems till they saught out all the ups and downs...

that pop up screen...and the hydrolic tower... in salt water over time i dont see them working very good...

How have you heard of 100s of problems with the hydraulic tower?? This is the first MC with a hydraulic tower....... Jussayin.....

Agreed. All the guys who probably helped you Rugger got a package and are all gone! Malibu's top interior guy is now at MB... I hope things will turn around and go back to the old ways...

I'm not sure what number you have been calling but I skip the Dealer and go straight to Malibu. Their number is on their Face Book Page

http://www.facebook.com/malibuboats?sk=info

If you want to get things done right skip the dealer

An official video from one of the premier manufacturers in the industry and they can't do HD? Plus whoever edited that is worse than me and I suck. I do love the convertible rear seat, but many of the other "new" options seem mighty, mighty familiar to a 2010 Malibu owner.... :P

I'm not sure what number you have been calling but I skip the Dealer and go straight to Malibu. Their number is on their Face Book Page

http://www.facebook.com/malibuboats?sk=info

If you want to get things done right skip the dealer

Gotta disagree with you on this one. My dealer is fantastic! If it wasnt for my dealer I would not have a Malibu. I have called corporate..they could not and would not answer my question and told me to call my dealer. Who were you talking to a Malibu?