Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 X Star

CL-Rides

Lucky, lucky man! Good for you! :thumbup:

Yeah, I don't know if I see more boat traffic being on a river or if the markets are just different.........

Were about 8 hours in either direction of Vancouver to the west and Calgary to the east up here in Canada so maybe totally different markets from where you are coming from.

I dont even want to know how much one of these new X Stars will cost but i know im sure happy with the bu and not even paying half what the cost of the MC will be :yahoo:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CL-Rides

• -BS-

• MARiley

• wakeboarder3780

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh me either haha

Here are more pictures as well. Not sure im a fan of the seats in the corners and in the bow. Look like a space shuttle seat or something...

Wow. was that interior designed by upland game hunters? Do you get a Remington 870 with that? Is that supposed to be seen from the space station. Wow

This is a joke right? No wonder they made the people involved sign a non-disclosure contract: That thing is horrendous. I wouldn't want anyone to know about it either.

First off, only MC can make worse use of 24 feeet of boat. Look at the interior, you still can't sit more than three people without playing footsy with your passengers. Who wants a 6,000 lb, 24 ft monster boat that seat 6?

Things they copied- Rear facing seat, transom walkover, flip up center seat, corvette seats front and rear, the windshield from the pre-'09 Malibus, the steering whell from 80's mini truck.

The tower is an answer to a question nobody asked. Well maybe "What do I do with my old dirt bike forks."

And for the record, the MXZ has many of the above qualities. There is more bow than playpen.

Were about 8 hours in either direction of Vancouver to the west and Calgary to the east up here in Canada so maybe totally different markets from where you are coming from.

I dont even want to know how much one of these new X Stars will cost but i know im sure happy with the bu and not even paying half what the cost of the MC will be :yahoo:

Realistically, I heard $100k. I don't want to know what MSRP is going to be....

This is a joke right? No wonder they made the people involved sign a non-disclosure contract: That thing is horrendous. I wouldn't want anyone to know about it either.

First off, only MC can make worse use of 24 feeet of boat. Look at the interior, you still can't sit more than three people without playing footsy with your passengers. Who wants a 6,000 lb, 24 ft monster boat that seat 6?

Things they copied- Rear facing seat, transom walkover, flip up center seat, corvette seats front and rear, the windshield from the pre-'09 Malibus, the steering whell from 80's mini truck.

The tower is an answer to a question nobody asked. Well maybe "What do I do with my old dirt bike forks."

And for the record, the MXZ has many of the above qualities. There is more bow than playpen.

I agree. The boat is just all around terrible. I posted on wakeworld before it crashed that it looks like Homer Simpson got to design this boat liek he did that car. Then my old roomate came up with this "it looks like big foot took a $hit on the car Homer Simpson designed". Other then the engineering in how the seats are movable I don't like a single thing about the boat. The lines are terrible, the dash is powered and has 3 screens, the seating doesn't look "lounge" freindly, the seat thing on the transom is stupid, the tower is terrible, the headrest things for the back seats ruin the sunpad, it is just a longer way more heavy version of the old xstar, I am sure it cost 150k or so, etc... The boat is a flat out fail and I wouldnt' be surprised if they sit on dealers lots for ever, kid of like the Malibu corvette boat. Mastercraft must be run by a bunch of engineers and college grads(by the way I am one) who have no experience in the industry or how people use their boats. They have gone to completely 100% catering to the uber rich doctor/lawyer who's kids have to have the best(they equate best with most expensive) so they can look cool, tube and thrash the hell out of the boat. I also agree that this thing is going to be a mechanical/eletrical nightmare and most are probably going to spend more time in teh shop then on teh water.

Mastercraft gets a big fat F-.

My dad has had 2 Stars and stripes and another older mastercraft, I sold Mastercraft's for a year in Seattle and have always loved them. I was a huge Mastercraft homer. Now I just can't stand them.

Realistically, I heard $100k. I don't want to know what MSRP is going to be....

I don't buy that for a second unless you mean that is all they will get when they sit on their lot for 2 or 3 years. When I sold MC in 2007 I sold 1 xstar and 2 X45's for 90k. My old roommate from Lake Sammamish has the 2011 Parks edition Xstar on his dock right now and i bet they want 125k plus for that thing. I bet MSRP is around 150k and they try to sell for 125k plus. I wouldn't even be surprised if MSRP is in the 175 range.

Im curious as to what the crew over at Team Talk thinks about it?

Im the kind of person that tries to find the good in all things, but this boat has zero appeal!

They all absolutely love it. In fact they love it so much they think the unveiling is the reason wakeworld has crashed.

Edited by polarbill1999

The body style is very unique, it does nothing for me, but maybe it will grow on me over time. I would like to see that boat in a normal color scheme, it would probably change it up.... I do like the seating arrangements you can create for watching the rider. It looks like it has a lot of room for passengers and tons of gear storage... which is a great feature. Typical Mastercraft build, I really like there boats, but I would take the X-15 or X-25 any day over that beast. I personally am not a fan of 24' boats, they are bulky, hard to manuever, gas guzzlers, difficult to tow and just because a boat is 24' does not mean it puts out a larger or better wakeboard wake than a smaller boat. (ie: the VLX is used to tow many pro events, not a 247)

And that wake is scary, it makes my 39 year old knees and back start hurting just looking at it.... I will take the VLX wake, its already more than I can handle right now...

Is there a ski pylon? I did not see one, where will the people buying these tow there tubes from!?!? :unsure:

I know what your saying but i heard the boat holds 16 people..

Edit: Also heard its a 5 blade prop

Edited by CL-Rides

just because a boat is 24' does not mean it puts out a larger or better wakeboard wake than a smaller boat. (ie: the VLX is used to tow many pro events, not a 247)

I bet its not long before the 247 or 24 footer is driving alot of the wake events. They already use the 23.

And that wake is scary, it makes my 39 year old knees and back start hurting just looking at it.... I will take the VLX wake, its already more than I can handle right now...

More displacement = bigger wake

I don't buy that for a second unless you mean that is all they will get when they sit on their lot for 2 or 3 years. When I sold MC in 2007 I sold 1 xstar and 2 X45's for 90k. My old roommate from Lake Sammamish has the 2011 Parks edition Xstar on his dock right now and i bet they want 125k plus for that thing. I bet MSRP is around 150k and they try to sell for 125k plus. I wouldn't even be surprised if MSRP is in the 175 range.

Nah, With every possible option, including LSA and PT, the parks star hit about 102k. MSRP on the quote was like $138k though...... A dealer might get $125k for one if the buyer was uneducated about boat pricing....

I am betting this new star will be $125k loaded up though.

The body style is very unique, it does nothing for me, but maybe it will grow on me over time. I would like to see that boat in a normal color scheme, it would probably change it up.... I do like the seating arrangements you can create for watching the rider. It looks like it has a lot of room for passengers and tons of gear storage... which is a great feature. Typical Mastercraft build, I really like there boats, but I would take the X-15 or X-25 any day over that beast. I personally am not a fan of 24' boats, they are bulky, hard to manuever, gas guzzlers, difficult to tow and just because a boat is 24' does not mean it puts out a larger or better wakeboard wake than a smaller boat. (ie: the VLX is used to tow many pro events, not a 247)

Is there a ski pylon? I did not see one, where will the people buying these tow there tubes from!?!? :unsure:

+1, We need pics in a normal color scheme.......And ya, the X25 is a far better choice. Roomiest 22 footer out there, and best wakeboard wake with stock ballast. I have serious wake envy after riding behind an X25 a few times now......Unfortunately, they quite making the ZFT-3 tower. The new towers are just plain UGLY.

Ski pylon is removable. Goes in right behind the center seat backrest, just like the X25.

I know what your saying but i heard the boat holds 16 people..

Edit: Also heard its a 5 blade prop

Ya, i dont know why someone would think the interior is small..... That thing is huge inside. That thing would easily fit 10 adults with plenty of space to stretch out. The old star was a different story. 16 adults wouldnt be very comfortable at all. But lets face it, 16 adults in a 247 is not comfortable either.

This is a pretty cool boat, IMO, but it is going to be too $$$, and way overkill on tech gadgets. Malibu needs to get rid of all of their techy crap too. The new Bu's are just as bad in that regard. And MC really did a piss poor job on the color scheme for the first '12 Xstar to see daylight...... Who does a color scheme like that?? Yuck.

You mean the side that the rider is landing on? Not necessarily port side but just in general?

Check out this video of Harley Clifford behind his 2011 X Star or this video of Josh Twelker behind an Axis A22 and it happens to them as well, its not as intense but still happens.

But I do agree with you Indyxc, the wakes are really washed out on the landing side which is most important because its not on the takeoff side, so to me it really wouldnt matter if its washed out on the landing wake

Yeah that's what I meant, but at some points of the video both sides are washed out. Someone else makes the point that this always happens, but in the Axis A22 video the wake to me looks a lot cleaner.

I don't know what to really think of this boat overall. Would I trade one for my boat? Yeah absolutely, because the power tower is half the price of my boat. But overall, a 24 foot boat belongs on a big lake. For those of us who live on a lake, that boat would require a MASSIVE lift, the interior doesn't seem very functional, more like a lounging area. It seems like a core wakeboard boat, instead of a overall wakeboard boat. Everything is overally complex and prone to break. Really, for the price to me the 04+ Xstar is a lot more appealing.

I can't afford this boat, but even if I could, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Who is? It's not a family boat. The people it seems to appeal to would be professional wake boarders, but don't they get their boats for free via sponserships? The up and coming pro's probably can't afford the boat either, so who will buy this?

Edited by Indyxc

The pumpkin colored vinyl was sort of a rude introduction if you ask me.

The guys hit that wake like most people hit a double up. It was definitely huge. Not sure it is functional for Joe wakeboarder...but again, the audience is core wakeboarders with 125K to burn.

:lol: I was trying to think of the right term for the look. I think you nailed it.

:plus1:

That is just wrong. I think it looks nasty. Another thing that really bugs me is the tower being so far back. If I saw that across the lake I'd think it's an I/O with a weak tuna tower on it.

I really can't get over all the weird lines in the hull - looks bad IMO. I guess it's supposed to be trendy, hip, or some kinds of cool. I still prefer the clean lines of a "traditional" hull. Thumbup.gif

just because a boat is 24' does not mean it puts out a larger or better wakeboard wake than a smaller boat. (ie: the VLX is used to tow many pro events, not a 247)

I bet its not long before the 247 or 24 footer is driving alot of the wake events. They already use the 23.

More displacement = bigger wake

Not saying the 247 cant produce a nice wake, but the VLX is Malibus flagship boat, which according to many (ie: transworld magazine, my dealer, etc..) produces the most versatile, largest wakeboard wake in the wakesetter lineup. This must be why they use it to tow competitions, it is there core wakeboard boat. The 247 seems to be more desirable for surfing.... Maybe the MXZ will be replacing the VLX for competition towing?

There is more to "wake size" then just weight, hull design and how it is balanced out all play a roll. The X-star is not only 5,100 lbs but it also has a completely redesigned hull. Seems like most of the larger 24'+ boats have issues with wakes washing out, regardless of make. From what I could see on the video, the X-star wake looks large, but very sloppy and washed out.

Guess it all depends on what you want, I have been behind quite a few different boats and the VLX wake is amazingly versatile and clean at lower speeds, with an excellent transition...we ride from beginners to advanced, so it works perfect for our crew. I have never rode behind a 247, it might be similar or even better.

Edited by Fman