Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rat problems in boat storage?

corpusmalibuguy

I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request . . . That means "no"

It's more a "guide" than a "code"

"The code is more like guidelines than actual rules." Biggrin.gif

OK, so I'm anal. :lol:

Fixed! - I knew that part wasn't right, but I couldn't remember how it actually went and I really like that part.

That was a great movie. I have not seen any previews for PII, but am looking forward to it. As much as I think that Johny Depp is a jerk, the boy can act.

edit: not sure how, but it double posted

Edited by mrothwell

Fixed! - I knew that part wasn't right, but I couldn't remember how it actually went and I really like that part.

That was a great movie. I have not seen any previews for PII, but am looking forward to it. As much as I think that Johny Depp is a jerk, the boy can act.

edit: not sure how, but it double posted

Hate Johnny Depp. :Loved the movie though

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the rat problem....I put down four rat poison boxes and 8 glue pads. I was out of town for two weeks and when I returned I noticed that two of the poison boxes were completely empty and two were half full. Three of the glue pads were either moved or gone completely. I also noticed a huge paw print on my windshield that looked kind of like a possum or a racoon. I put down four new rat poisons and also left my boat cover on this time. Last time I had left it uncovered. Any thoughts on covered vs. uncovered? Hopefully I will see the rat poison depletion taper off here soon. I also took the boat out of storage and vacumed the interior. Hopefully now I will be able to tell if anything has been in my boat by the existence or nonexistence of rat droppings. Also, I brought the engine up to temperature while hooked up to a hose and it seems to be running fine and all electrical components seem to work fine, so I don't think any rodents have chewed on my wires or hoses yet. Who would have thought I would be this stressed about keeping my boat in storage.

True, but then again, I have never liked cats, and furthermore, if you let your cats roam the local boat and rv storage then I guess you should expect that your cat might not show up at your door in the morning. That is just my opinion, but I guess that is why I like dogs.

True, but then again, I have never liked cats, and furthermore, if you let your cats roam the local boat and rv storage then I guess you should expect that your cat might not show up at your door in the morning. That is just my opinion, but I guess that is why I like dogs.

That's why you should just collect up some strays and drop them at you storage unit.

For long term storage, if you don't want critters in your boat, this works well...

Get a box of Saran Wrap or a roll of stretch packing film, put your cover on, then stretch the film all the way around the boat at the rub rail. No critters can get in.

For long term storage, if you don't want critters in your boat, this works well...

Get a box of Saran Wrap or a roll of stretch packing film, put your cover on, then stretch the film all the way around the boat at the rub rail. No critters can get in.

Or you could just buy a towing cover. I can't get a finger under our Rankin.

Joe

I used to get "critter" (chipmunks, squirrels, similar family to rats) evidence (pine cones and other misc bits of paper and chewed foam (from where I put padding between the windshield and the cover) when I tucked my boat away (outside with the cover on and under a car-port type shelter) for the winter. Boat sits like that from Oct to April every year. Lots of time for a family to move in and take over.

Heard about using "Bounce" fabric softener sheets. Have been using them for about 5 years. Not once have I seen any evidence of critters since using Bounce. I just scatter the sheets all over the place, under the motor cover, under the seats, in the gunnel netting. In the spring, you can still smell the freshness. (Sounds like a commercial) Doesn't have all the stink of moth balls, the dangers of poison, or the risk of dead critters rotting..... Seemed to work for me.

Anybody else have success with these?

Problem is..... you know if something doesn't work..... but you don't really know if it's working because of what you did. For example, the makers of Bounce could also say it keeps kangaroos out of your stored boat. And they would be right.....because, by golly, I've never had a single kangaroo in my boat since I started using Bounce.

Edited by doughickey

This is the second winter that I have used the Bounce method. So far, so good. But like you said, I'm not sure if it's because the Bounce is working, or if it's because there aren't any rats.

I also like the saran wrap/shrink wrap suggestion. I may do that too. The only problem with that is that it will make it harder for me to get in the boat when I need to empty/replace my Damp-Rid containers.

I just bought a book on all natural methods of keeping pests away.

The book says that all rodents, especially mice, are allergic to Peppermint Oil. It has to be 'real deal' peppermint oil not extract that you're only gonna find at an herb shop or health food store. All you gotta do is put some on some cotton balls and leave it in the area that might have rodents. Supposedely, they'll stay way away from the area. it smells pretty nice too. I just put this under my house, we'll see how it works.

I just bought a book on all natural methods of keeping pests away.

The book says that all rodents, especially mice, are allergic to Peppermint Oil. It has to be 'real deal' peppermint oil not extract that you're only gonna find at an herb shop or health food store. All you gotta do is put some on some cotton balls and leave it in the area that might have rodents. Supposedely, they'll stay way away from the area. it smells pretty nice too. I just put this under my house, we'll see how it works.

I wonder why peppermint would deter them?

I don't know what it is but, it doesn't smell bad at all.

The name of the book is "1001 All-natural secrets to a pest-free property" by Dr. Myles Bader. I got it off of Amazon for ~$30 after seeing an informercial on it. (The first time I've ever bought something based on an infomercial and believe me, I wasn't about to call their 800 number for it).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, time for an update. I just pulled the boat out of storage after about three weeks and a new round of Dcon. It looks as though there is some larger animal than I had originally thought that is getting in my storage unit. The paw print looks like a coyote or a fox or something. It doesn't look like a dog print. Anyway, I threw four more boxes of Dcon in after cleaning the boat up really nice. I went back to check on it yesterday, and the Dcon has not even been touched. No paw prints anywhere. I am thinking that the Dcon is doing its job, although not for its original purpose. I am leaving the cover on my boat, and it appears to be keeping whatever large animal is in my storage unit out of my boat. I do think that originally I had a rat problem, because I found alot of little turds around the inside of the boat. They were too small to be from a coyote or fox. Fortunately those have not reappeared since the first time I had them.

I do like the fabric softener idea. I might try that. Although I think I feel a little more secure with the Dcon. I might just keep spending the 4 or 5 bucks every two weeks or so for the Dcon.

Also, I did put down some sticky pads around each tire and in the corners of the storage shed. The ones around the tire have not even been touched in over two months. The ones in the corners have been moved by about three feet and turned over. This also leads me to believe that it is some larger animal.

Anyway, long story long, the boat is all cleaned up and running great. Can't wait to hit the water when it warms up a bit. I will keep you all updated.

post-643-1141060396_thumb.jpg

Well,

I'd like to give an update of my own...I don't think the peppermint oil works. Just trust me on it.

That doesn't sound good.

Does this mean that infomercials aren't always truthful? That's a life-changer. Crazy.gif I hope there was no damage PPete.

Thanks for the condolences.

Actually, here's the story. I live in the Mtns. and we get a lot of spiders. The GF hates them. I've also had one or two mice/rats get into the subarea under the house and ultimately up into the attic. I don't let anything live in my house that isn't supposed to be there.

So, I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. I hung up some fresh chestnuts (also in the book) to keep the spiders away and hung up peppermint oil soaked in cotton balls right along with the chestnuts. Whatever it was that got in there ate all the chestnuts and didn't give a rat's aarse about the peppermint oil.

Then, I went to the hardware store and bought 4 more traps. Actually, I need to check on them now.

Edited by Pistol Pete