Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cover causing discoloration on vinyl

casey on allatoona

Seems like it is the moisture/humidity that causes it on my boat. When I take the cover off and let it air out and get some direct sun, the discoloration goes away.

• 3 weeks later...

When I went on the Malibu factory tour, the guide looked at my build sheet and said the smartest option I ordered was the gray cover. He said it is much easier on the vinyl than the black.

When I went on the Malibu factory tour, the guide looked at my build sheet and said the smartest option I ordered was the gray cover. He said it is much easier on the vinyl than the black.
it doesn't matter what the color of the cover is, it will still do it. My factory cover is grey and the vinyl still discolored. my new cover is blue and made of sunbrella and it does it as well. I have let the boat dry for two or three days it still does it. The SOLUTION for me has been to put two plastic poles along the back edge of the subpad before I pull the cover down tight. This keeps the cover off the vinyl and the spots do not appear. I think the problem is not the vynyl, but something under the vinyl - maybe the foam padding or the glue causing the discoloration. either way, it stinks. I don't hear of CC, MC, or Tige doing this. Edited by bamabonners

I was actually thinking about getting a new cover, possible evolution, but based on what bam said above, I may potentially have the same issue. My problem is direct sunlight. My boat is stored in an enclosure away from the sun, but not the heat. My vinyl discoloration in direct sunlight. The dealer replaced the skins, but if I will still have the same problem with a different cover, what's the point?

I have an 06 VLX with light/dark grey accents and I get the discoloring on the dark grey at the rear corners of the boat, where the cover is laying on the upholstery. I have a grey canvas Mailibu cover, so from the various posts here I don't think the type of cover makes a difference. My boat is stored outside under a canopy in So Arizona next to the Colorado river. So heat is definitely an element for me. I haven't noticed that the discoloration goes away after the boat is out in the sun. I'll have to look for that. I think I will start covering that area of the boat with towels before I cover it to see if that helps.

I also had some vinyl split around the beading in the cabin seats when the boat was 1-2 years old and Malibu recovered those seat cushions under warranty, but it wasn't easy. I had to take pictures and the dealer applied some pressure. the dealer told me then the factory was starting to push back on covering these but we got ours done. I'm curious if anybody is have recent vinyl issues and if the factory is standing behind their product.

• 1 year later...

I am from Melbourne, Australia and I have an '07 Wakesetter that I imported from Texas. I don't think there were too many issues with the upholstery when I got it but it has been stored out in the sun since I got it. It was previously stored indoors. I have been getting red discolouration on the white vinyl in the front lounge, usually worst at the highest points, and yes, it does tend to go away the longer it sits in the sun. Also on the rear sun lounge, the dark grey vinyl has some staining that almost looks like rust but I assume it's the same thing as the front and either reacting to the sun or the heat. I have vents but where the boat is stored gets very hot through summer. It looks like it is just something I have to deal with! I had heard that US made boats didn't cope with the Australian sun and I can see it's a bit of a common problem. As is 'rudder shudder'! I had a mastercraft x-10 that had no problem with either issue, maybe I should have kept that!

I don't think anyone truly knows what it is or the cause of the vinyl issue. Only thing I can suggest is placing a blanket of some sort between the vinyl and the cover. Avoid the direct contact with it. Is it the Malibu gators cover? If so, there have been owners here with evolution covers (made from sunbrella) that say they have no issues. Although a couple have said that did not help either

As for the shudder, I'd get that checked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • 1 year later...

Have an 2009 Centurion Enzo. Same problem.... told it was the black cover causing excessive heat. Had a light grey cover made. still happening. Now after a couple of years, not quite coming back after being in the direct sun. At first an hour or two, and tada!!!! All is normal. But now, it still has a taint of reddish brown on the fabric. AFTER A WEEK..... Took it to and upholstery shop and they explained too hot to be under cover in Arizona. No matter what the color is.. they recommended a garage, no cover.....

Talked to a number of boat dealers. And the concensus is the boat manufacturers KNOW OF THIS. And for lack of a better term -- keep passing the buck so the do not get hit with a class action law suit. Have depositions from 4 dealers. these dealers sell Malibu, Centurion and a number of others... estimate to Repair is Around $6000.00 For me this is enough to get an attorney involved. Since I first complained when my boat was 7 weeks old...

I noticed some discoloration from my black evo cover. I have red piping on the hatches which seemed to have faded a bit along the vinyl. I let it sit in the sun and everything went away.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

so I to have the burnt look with a light covered vinyl and only in areas where the vinyl comes in contact with the cover, I'm reading that the only true solution or way to get the spots to fade or disappear is to just leave the cover off? is there any type of treatment or protective solution to use that will lesson the burnt spots or remove them quicker besides leaving the cover off?

Edited by Robp1234567890
  • 8 months later...

I have a 30’ Sleekcraft just bought a new cover from National it’s a Windstorm. It fits great but is doing the same thing turning seat burnt color.  The cover is Charcoal gray, I was told by National to clean the Vinyl with 303 Protectant and let stand for one day and it would be fine.  Placed the cover back on one week later same issue. I am glad the sun and a few days takes away the stain. Please let me know if anyone finds a good fix to this problem. Its not just Malibu, I think it’s the Vegas sun heating up the inside of the boat in combination with frictions of the cover moving on the vinyl.

I hope someone comes up with a good fix for this.

Scott

• 2 years later...

I had a light grey cover for years without any problems. Then I got a custom made cover in black. The sun and heat seem to have baked all my seats and turned them a dark brown colour!! When I left the boat out in the sun - it lighted up alot but it is not gone completely and looks really bad!

it is happening even when the cover is not touching the vinyl so I believe it is the black colour, and the heat.

what to do? It’s a new cover ! My seats are wrecked ! I can’t be at the boat all the time - taking it off on sunny days and putting it on when it rains. 
Any suggestions? 

Any way to get completely rid of the brown colour? 

After a certain point there is no way to reverse the effects.  Do you use the pool noodle trick.  That seems to work on the 06' but I only covered for winter storage inside an insulated shop and the trips to lake house.  Just a shame this was an issue.