Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why did Mailbu stop using the 8100 Vortec

wildbill

I've not been able to find the article that was discussing it. It's been in the Max option since '07 but not in the HD line and therefore not a proven engine for durability compared to the cast iron blocks was their story. I know more sales that GM lost because they only offered the 6.0 and the duramax, not everyone wants/needs a diesel but the 6.0 needs more to be competitive and the 6.2 does that but hasn't been a mainstay engine in the lineup only as an obscure option in certain packages. Cost as much to produce..wow not saying your wrong just had to believe that is the case....

Ya, that is true. I was mostly just pointing out that, the LSA block has been in applications that would certainly put a great deal of stress on it. I would imagine that there are a few L92 6.2l engines in Denali pickups, yukons, and escalades that have been worked pretty hard towing. My neighbor pulls a 12000lb mini excavator all over the place with his Sierra Denali.....And its not exactly flat land up here... I think he is dumb for towing 15-16k behind that 1/2 ton, but he has been doing it for years without a problem. Good thing the Denali comes with the HD transmission (6L80, not the allison) and bigger brakes than the regular sierra.

On cost- Think about all of the added costs for an LSA, over something like the L92..... Supercharger, intercooler, special connecting rods, piston squirting system, forged crankshaft, EGT sensors, Extra knock sensors, added hoses and wiring, heavier transmission and rear diff. The added costs associated with all of that stuff, puts the LSA pretty close to the Duramax in terms of cost....

Look online at some new GM crate engines and what they cost. The LSA complete engine costs $9,000.00 more than an LS3. And when I bought my 2011 Sierra 2500 w/duramax, the upcharge for the duramax was $7800.00 over the 6.0 gasser. All of those extra components add up to big $$$ over a naturally aspirated SBC.