Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing a '94 Echelon LX

Michigan boarder

from the Malibu email: :biggrin:

Malibu does not recommend that you add a wedge to your boat, as the manual wedge did not come out till 1996. Your boat was not tested to see if if the transom area could stand the force from the wedge.

Well, fair enough. I can tell you the wedge has been on mine for around 10 years now, and it's been used a LOT. The prior owner (good friend of mine) would often forget it was deployed and hit 30+ mph. No signs of strees or anything. FWIW.

• 1 month later...

This is what I recall...

Any Echelon will support a wedge. NO Skier / Sunsetter pre 95 will support a wedge (without massive modifications)

Anything 95 and newer should support a wedge, in your case I am 99% sure your Echelon will take one.

EDIT: you dont need a wedge to surf!! I have read a bunch where some people actually prefer the wake / wave of straight ballast over using the wedge.

I have a 93 euro f3 sunsetter. It is the first year that malibu used fiberglass stringers and floor in this boat. I would love to put a wedge on it some day when i stop putting money into the interior. Did malibu build a stronger transom in 95 vs. in 93. I know the shape is different(93 the transom tapered in towards the boat and i believe in 95 the transom tapered out away from the boat) but is one stronger than the other?

I have a 93 euro f3 sunsetter. It is the first year that malibu used fiberglass stringers and floor in this boat. I would love to put a wedge on it some day when i stop putting money into the interior. Did malibu build a stronger transom in 95 vs. in 93. I know the shape is different(93 the transom tapered in towards the boat and i believe in 95 the transom tapered out away from the boat) but is one stronger than the other?

No, your Sunsetter will not support the wedge. The Echelon in '93 was Malibu's first non-wood boat. Then the rest of their models followed suit in '95.

No, your Sunsetter will not support the wedge. The Echelon in '93 was Malibu's first non-wood boat. Then the rest of their models followed suit in '95.

When you say "Non-wood", are you saying that there is not a piece of wood in your boat? There is wood underneath the seats and on the interior side panels of my sunsetter, but other than that, the stringers, floor, and hull are all completely fiberglass. I know there are at least a couple of late 80's skiers on this site that have wedges installed on them. I also understand that our older boats aren't tested for the wedge. That's why i would love for someone with personal experience to chime in. I figure if a 88' Skier can handle the down force of a wedge on the transom, then my 93 sunsetter should hold up fine. Any thoughts?

When you say "Non-wood", are you saying that there is not a piece of wood in your boat? There is wood underneath the seats and on the interior side panels of my sunsetter, but other than that, the stringers, floor, and hull are all completely fiberglass. I know there are at least a couple of late 80's skiers on this site that have wedges installed on them. I also understand that our older boats aren't tested for the wedge. That's why i would love for someone with personal experience to chime in. I figure if a 88' Skier can handle the down force of a wedge on the transom, then my 93 sunsetter should hold up fine. Any thoughts?

I'm sorry, that's not the way I understand it. It's your boat and you know what you have, but from what I've heard on this site yours was still wood. And yes, I had my interior re-done and it was all plastic backed, no wood. I think those Skiers had reinforced transoms.

I'm sorry, that's not the way I understand it. It's your boat and you know what you have, but from what I've heard on this site yours was still wood. And yes, I had my interior re-done and it was all plastic backed, no wood. I think those Skiers had reinforced transoms.

Darn. Thats dissapointing if I really have to reinforce the transom to put a wedge on. Ill have to try to get a hold of Martinarcher if he used anything and what he used to reinforce his transom.

Darn. Thats dissapointing if I really have to reinforce the transom to put a wedge on. Ill have to try to get a hold of Martinarcher if he used anything and what he used to reinforce his transom.

I will tell you 100% you can not bolt a wedge to a stock 93 Malibu Sunsetter. The wedge on MA's old SS is custom made, and his transom was completly reinforced when the boat was rebuilt by another TMC member, Rugger. Not only would a stock wedge tear the transom out of your boat but the stock bracket won't fit between the exhaust.

I only know this because I wanted a wedge on my 93 Skier really bad. Ever since I put the ballast system in though I don't want one. I might be nice for surfing but a lot of people are shying away from using the wedge all togher, straight ballast seems to produce a better wake / wave.

Rugger has his complete build of the Sunsetter documented on this site somewhere. Maybe look in Martin's profile.

EDIT: Ruggers Build is here

Edited by Levi900RR

I will tell you 100% you can not bolt a wedge to a stock 93 Malibu Sunsetter. The wedge on MA's old SS is custom made, and his transom was completly reinforced when the boat was rebuilt by another TMC member, Rugger. Not only would a stock wedge tear the transom out of your boat but the stock bracket won't fit between the exhaust.

I only know this because I wanted a wedge on my 93 Skier really bad. Ever since I put the ballast system in though I don't want one. I might be nice for surfing but a lot of people are shying away from using the wedge all togher, straight ballast seems to produce a better wake / wave.

Rugger has his complete build of the Sunsetter documented on this site somewhere. Maybe look in Martin's profile.

EDIT: Ruggers Build is here

Bummer. I guess i'll put my time and money into ballast bags then. Thanks for the reply. those were the details i was wanting to find out. Of course dissapointing to hear though :cry:

Bummer. I guess i'll put my time and money into ballast bags then. Thanks for the reply. those were the details i was wanting to find out. Of course dissapointing to hear though :cry:

Agreed...

You can get a pretty good wake with bags man, here is the link to my install

My ballast install

Agreed...

You can get a pretty good wake with bags man, here is the link to my install

My ballast install

Nice work on the plumbed system. I appreciate you sending me that thread. A goal for me would b to have a ballast system similar to that in my boat in the next couple of years. Realistically, i'll get a couple of fat sacks this winter to use next year and hope to have them plumbed in by the following summer. Between your pics and MartinArchers pics it should make the job a little easier. Thanks again for the help.