Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New towable advice

R1LOVER

now I'm wanting to buy a ski trainer lol that's what I get from hanging out here again... lol

/off to look for a nice deal........

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R1LOVER

• jtrovato

• Hentz

• shawndoggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By teaching them to ski at age 2 you are protecting them from evil-doers :biggrin:

lmao no evil doers..... I just don't want the 2 year old to take a bad spill and get scared at this point..... We will see how it goes, but the problem will come when they fall and are in the water by themselves in the middle of the lake until we get back to them lol I can hear my daughter crying now, don't leave me... lol

If you are real interested in trying to have them ski, use training skis with the rope tied to the skis and then you body surf a knee board along side them so you can just let go and pop in the water as soon as they fall. Works great.

If you are real interested in trying to have them ski, use training skis with the rope tied to the skis and then you body surf a knee board along side them so you can just let go and pop in the water as soon as they fall. Works great.

great idea, thank you.

A barefoot boom also works great. They can stay pretty steady with both hands holding a pole verses a rope and the driver (or spotter) can talk them through while moving.

get those kids up on a wakeboard or skis!

:thumbup: I learned to ski on doubles when I was 4 and that was before anyone had thought of tying skis together. Switched to a slalom when I was 6. Been hooked ever since.

now I'm wanting to buy a ski trainer lol that's what I get from hanging out here again...

:yahoo:

By teaching them to ski at age 2 you are protecting them from evil-doers

:lol::yes: The evils and immoralities of tubing. :yuk:

I had my boys (and other kids as well) going on a Ski Skimmer around 2 - 3 yoa. Stand on the nose of the thing, get the kid situated in the "boots", then have the driver go just a little faster than idle. Step off the nose of the skimmer and let the rope out hand over hand. The other end of the rope should not be tied to anything, that way if / when they fall you just jump off the swimstep into the water with them and the rope doesn't keep pulling them through the water. The sense of pride they get from actually "waterskiing" instead of just sitting on a tube is worth the effort. :yes:

The sense of pride they get from actually "waterskiing" instead of just sitting on a tube is worth the effort. :yes:

I dunno. My kids can board and surf, but they only do it cuz we make them before we break out the tube. The tube is like crack for them. They would tube sunup to sunset if I'd let them.

To me tubing is just like (snow) sledding. No control, no skill, and it always ends with a bloody nose or a fat lip. No thank you!

I dunno. My kids can board and surf, but they only do it cuz we make them before we break out the tube. The tube is like crack for them. They would tube sunup to sunset if I'd let them.

To me tubing is just like (snow) sledding. No control, no skill, and it always ends with a bloody nose or a fat lip. No thank you!

Our rule was straigh line sport first then the tube coul dcome out. Popped a few years ago and never replaced it.

Thanks for all the help everyone... here is what I ended up getting.

Airhead® Viper™ 2 Towable

Overton's Heavy-Duty 2-Person Tube Rope

Overton's® 12V High-Pressure Inflator/Deflator

Gladiator® Tow Rope Connector

Airhead Watersports Flag Holder For Wakeboard Towers

Airhead Deluxe Watersports Flag

All with 20% off and a total delivered price of 313.00

The coupon code for 20% off is V90766 if anyone is interested.

The viper 2 is cheapest at http://www.marineboatsupplies.com/airhead-viper-2 with a price of 155.00, but it ended up cheaper overall buying it all with the 20% off above.

Any idea when this 20% off code expires?

Any idea when this 20% off code expires?

I'm not sure, but there are a few sites that had the codes... so if it doesn't work let me know and I will look for more for you.

As far as rules and what to teach them first.... they are kids... I will let them choose what to do and when... this is all for the fun of the kids and myself, I won't force them to do anything. :)

Since it's still raining outside...... can't do much... but my daughter is ready as her new towable showed up today... we decided to air it up in the house lol

5783205107_d4c19ba787_z.jpg

That's awesome! I agree, if the kids want to go on a tube and that's what's going to let them have fun on the boat, then that's what I'll let my son do. My only son just turned 2 in March and I'm dying to get him on the water in a tube. He loves going on the boat and I want to give him something fun to do other than just watch me wakeboard and surf. I'm thinking of getting him this:

Sportsstuff Chariot Warbird 2

My wife thinks he's too young to go on it, but I think that one will be perfect for one of us to go out there with him and get him used to being pulled behind the boat at like 5-7 mph. Anyone else take their 2-3 year old out on a tube like this? Send me some pics/stories so I can convince her he'll be fine!

That's awesome! I agree, if the kids want to go on a tube and that's what's going to let them have fun on the boat, then that's what I'll let my son do. My only son just turned 2 in March and I'm dying to get him on the water in a tube. He loves going on the boat and I want to give him something fun to do other than just watch me wakeboard and surf. I'm thinking of getting him this:

Sportsstuff Chariot Warbird 2

My wife thinks he's too young to go on it, but I think that one will be perfect for one of us to go out there with him and get him used to being pulled behind the boat at like 5-7 mph. Anyone else take their 2-3 year old out on a tube like this? Send me some pics/stories so I can convince her he'll be fine!

My kids are 2 & 5, I looked at that one too, but opted for the one above due to it having a little cockpit type seating it in.... I think the younger one will like it better to have a place to sit in rather then sitting on the device.

My kids are 2 & 5, I looked at that one too, but opted for the one above due to it having a little cockpit type seating it in.... I think the younger one will like it better to have a place to sit in rather then sitting on the device.

as an FYI, my (older) kids hate that style with the hole to sit in because they say that there isn't enough tube under your butt when going fast and you end up smacking your rear end. Not that that's probably going to be an issue with little kids, but when the time comes to try to launch them off of the tube....

Edited by shawndoggy

Hate to be the bearer of bad news as well, but those tubes tend to submarine when pulled. Just be aware of that. If you decide to go a different route at any point the aquaglide retro 2 or 3 is great or the older style nautica Oahu if you can find it

<br />as an FYI, my (older) kids hate that style with the hole to sit in because they say that there isn't enough tube under your butt when going fast and you end up smacking your rear end. Not that that's probably going to be an issue with little kids, but when the time comes to try to launch them off of the tube....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This one has a separate inflatable under each seat which is about 8 inches thick, I was wondering why it did, now that explains it. Shouldn't be a problem from what I see.

Also with The age of my kids being only 2 and 5, we won't be going very fast.

Edited by R1LOVER
<br />Hate to be the bearer of bad news as well, but those tubes tend to submarine when pulled. Just be aware of that. If you decide to go a different route at any point the aquaglide retro 2 or 3 is great or the older style nautica Oahu if you can find it<br />

Not one person I talked to that has this specific model has mentioned this, not sure with the design how that can happen, and if we use the tower, that would be pretty tough to do IMO. Again these are young kids, so I just don't see the speeds getting to the point of flying through the air etc lol

Edit- I just looked at the one you suggested... not much difference from what I can tell?

Edited by R1LOVER

<br /><br /><br />

This one has a separate inflatable under each seat which is about 8 inches thick, I was wondering why it did, now it explains it. Should be a problem from what I see.

Also with The age of my kids being only 2 and 5, we won't be going very fast.

One thing to be aware of with the seat inserts is that they tend to come out if the tube ever takes on any water. I have had several three man tubes and we have liked the HO F models the best.

Not one person I talked to that has this specific model has mentioned this, not sure with the design how that can happen, and if we use the tower, that would be pretty tough to do IMO. Again these are young kids, so I just don't see the speeds getting to the point of flying through the air etc lol

towing from the tower is a no no.

ours also tends to submarine when going slow. Once going faster it "planes" but going "little kid slow" the big kids kids have to be sure to lean back to keep the nose up or it will endo.

we have this one: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=16843&pdesc=Gladiator_3_Rider_Super_Brawler&aID=600G4&merchID=4006

One thing to be aware of with the seat inserts is that they tend to come out if the tube ever takes on any water. I have had several three man tubes and we have liked the HO F models the best.

There are no inserts on the one I purchased, they are built into the bottom of the unit as a separate inflatable.

We have had this one with the removable seats. The wife and kids hated it! Water always seemed to spray in their faces. So much so that we actually bought a rope with a big inflatable ball halfway down it.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=16711&pdesc=Connelly_Mega_Wing_Deluxe_3_Rider_Towable&aID=600G4&merchID=4006

2 of my kids and 2 of my brother's kids. They are all over 4 in this pic, but we've had a 1 1/2 year old daughter in it! They love it because they can ride together and are 'settled' down in the seat.

post-2919-042693100 1306950859_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I think my son is still too small to sit on his own in the little cockpit seats. He's tiny for his age, like under the 10th percentile for height and weight! The only way I'll ever get him out there is if me or my wife can sit right next to him and hold him or have him sit on our lap.

The one I'm looking at has the front angled up a little bit to avoid submarining. Anyone else on here ever use the chariot warbird tubes?