Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Engine Flush

bvdhvy

martinarcher

It can be.

That would rock....I think a lot more people will get use out of the video since you don't have to install special software.

I just hate Apple and their "updates" after installing Quicktime.

Waiting for Quicktime to download.....Can't believe I'm installing it. :Doh: I hate Quicktime, but want to see what you did.

Is it on youtube too?

Same here!

Nice $10 solution for sure.

I have to be honest though for for the $60 for a flush pro and the $25 or so for the transom mount that setup is the nuts, plus no worrying about closing and opening valves.

You da man. Thanks for putting it on YouTube!

Looks good. If I had a v drive that looks like a nice simple way to flush it.

You can do it on your direct drive also. Cut a section of hose out to fit the tee and screw 1" male by 1" hose barb fittings into each side of the tee with the boiler drain in the center.

How about a 3-way ball valve instead of the tee?

Pro: Don't have to climb in rear compartment, remove engine side panel, and turn off main inlet. In my vdrive, the main inlet is further towards the transom.

Con: Higher cost of 3-way valve

Edit: I like the idea, thanks!

Edited by gmab

How about a 3-way ball valve instead of the tee?

Pro: Don't have to climb in rear compartment, remove engine side panel, and turn off main inlet. In my vdrive, the main inlet is further towards the transom.

Con: Higher cost of 3-way valve

Edit: I like the idea, thanks!

that would work.

Or you could screw a short nipple into the tee, ball valve onto that, and hose barb fitting into that. This way you only need one valve, and may be less expensive than getting that rare fitting which would most likely be plastic any ways.

martinarcher

You can do it on your direct drive also. Cut a section of hose out to fit the tee and screw 1" male by 1" hose barb fittings into each side of the tee with the boiler drain in the center.

That would certainly work.

Here's my set-up....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/3-malibu-sunsetter/page__tab__mods__mod_id__27

The video is here!!! I used galvanized fittings. Brass would be better because they wont corrode like mine have.

Click the link boat flush in my signature.

Let me know what you think

Very nice solution, thanks!

Pretty simple. Thanks. What valve were you refering to on the intake that you wanted closed? I didnt realize there is a valve that can be closed.

Pretty simple. Thanks. What valve were you refering to on the intake that you wanted closed? I didnt realize there is a valve that can be closed.

It's there. If you look on the bottom of your boat you can see the water intake fitting. It's brass I think with slots in it to stop debris from coming in. The valve is most likely right there in the engine/v-drive compartment.

Nice $10 solution for sure.

I have to be honest though for for the $60 for a flush pro and the $25 or so for the transom mount that setup is the nuts, plus no worrying about closing and opening valves.

I have a very smooth $10 set up and I am really leaning toward the flush pro... I am sick of throwing a hose over the side of the boat.

I have a very smooth $10 set up and I am really leaning toward the flush pro... I am sick of throwing a hose over the side of the boat.

What is your set up, Levi? I have been looking at various options, love Matt's design but looking at all of the options. 10$ range would be perfect haha

What is your set up, Levi? I have been looking at various options, love Matt's design but looking at all of the options. 10$ range would be perfect haha

I dont have any pics on hand, but I have a T in the intake line with a hose running up on the side of the engine. With a ball valve right behind the T. I shut the valve, hook up the hose and off I go.

I am sick of throwing the hose over the gunwale. Probably going to put a transom mount flush pro on my birthday list.

Like the video, thank you for posting.

One question- Did you eliminate your sea strainer? Notice the left side of your v-drive goes straight into the water intake...

It's there. If you look on the bottom of your boat you can see the water intake fitting. It's brass I think with slots in it to stop debris from coming in. The valve is most likely right there in the engine/v-drive compartment.

Not all boats have a factory installed raw water intake shut off valve.

I like the flush pro too!!! I just wish it wasn't plastic.

We use our boats in the winter occasionally & have had problems with the plastic housing cracking & leaking. Their not made to be handled when it's cold out.

Also, the transom fitting.... make sure none of your buddies kick it while their mountin up. That has been an issue too.

martinarcher

We use our boats in the winter occasionally & have had problems with the plastic housing cracking & leaking. Their not made to be handled when it's cold out.

Also, the transom fitting.... make sure none of your buddies kick it while their mountin up. That has been an issue too.

Yeah, a plastic housing with a flapper and spring that could actually keep water from flowing to the engine under normal operation will certainly never be installed on my boat.

Also, for all the more I run the boat in the driveway, throwing the hose over the side is no biggie....heck I have to get in the boat anyway. Most of the hassle is all the extra trips back into the garage for the tools I forgot. :Doh: