Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Annoying water leak in hull!!

Supposed to dampen vibrations and make for quieter operation. It's something that if you do have a leak there you would want to fix it asap. The issue will get worse as time wears on. It's not hard to fix though. Once I found the crack it took me maybe two hours to repair.

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Animal78

• WakingMeHappy

• martinarcher

• Joeprunc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

....Picking up a dead (but very important) thread.

So I'm getting a ton of water recently....it was always a little there, but began getting worse and significantly more noticeable when surfing.  I've checked all avenues of leaks, with the exception of this HDS box.  My bilge only runs about once a day, but when the day is done there is still a significant amount of water in the bilge.  I haven't pulled apart my box yet to look at it (it will be a winter project for me).  

If I am understanding this issue correctly, there is a leak between this "plastic" box liner and the fiberglass portion of the hull.  This box area is normally completely full of water, and as water seeps between the void between these components it finds the closest path to the bilge thus filling the bilge.  So the two fixes are:

1) Keep water from even entering the box by fiber glassing around the shaft, and throughout the box.  

OR

2) Properly seal between this "plastic" box and the fiberglass hull.

I feel like option 1 is a better and more permanent route.  The other question I have is (and maybe I'm incorrectly interpreting the crack location or leak path), but with repair option #2, why are people re applying fiberglass over the bottom of the box (the already fiberglassed portion of the boat?)  Even if there was a hole or crack in the hull, that area its still going to be water full because the shaft opening.  Or is this just to add reinforcement to the hull as to not disturb the bond between the box and hull?

Has anyone tried anything like JB weld or a gorilla glue?

Sorry for all the questions, but figured this was the best thread relating to the HDS issues.

Simplest way to find hull leaks, pull boat out of water. On trailer, fill bilge area full of water or close too. You don't need engine parts under water.  Let it sit and see where the water is dripping out.

On 10/12/2016 at 10:14 AM, footndale said:

Simplest way to find hull leaks, pull boat out of water. On trailer, fill bilge area full of water or close too. You don't need engine parts under water.  Let it sit and see where the water is dripping out.

Yes, I agree.  My boat is on the water on a hoist, just trying to get some additional details before planning my repair this winter.

Yep, but water is cold enough that really drains any interest in swimming under the boat.  I guess I'll wait a few more months till when I pull it out of the water.  Was just hoping someone that has had this issue could chime in.  My bilge only runs about once a trip....so its not too bad yet.

On 10/16/2016 at 9:40 AM, h2oratJR said:

Is your  boat sitting on bunks on the hoist?

Just now, Joeprunc said:

Yep, but water is cold enough that really drains any interest in swimming under the boat.  I guess I'll wait a few more months till when I pull it out of the water.  Was just hoping someone that has had this issue could chime in.  My bilge only runs about once a trip....so its not too bad yet.

That doesn't seem like a ton of water to me. Shaft packing?

3 minutes ago, footndale said:

That doesn't seem like a ton of water to me. Shaft packing?

The other weekend I took the boat out for a ride to look at exactly that.  One drip every 10 seconds or so.  But maybe when I try surfing the load on the drive shaft is even more to let more seepage.  The end of the day I probably have 2-3 gallons of water in the bilge.  By bilge pump is not mounted at a low point, so I a bit of water in the bilge before it runs.

On 10/17/2016 at 1:34 PM, footndale said:

Mainly happens when surfing? 

Could be a problem at rub rail in the back.

Could be, especially using a "spray gate" device.  I'll stick to the skinny ski this weekend and see how it does.

Updated:

Stuck to skiing this weekend, still a fair amount of water in the hull at the end of the day....I thought about @footndale 's comment about the packing gland and decided to check (even thought I adjusted it a month ago).  Sure enough....it was dripping, and dripping a lot.  A constant drip, probably 15 drips per 10 seconds. I've already re tightened it a three times since I got the boat last year, and now it does make some noise at lower speeds.  So I spent yesterday afternoon putting some new Gore packing in...haven't tested yet, but hope this is the issue.  Again just wanted to say thank you.

Fixed the leak!

It was the bow eye that allowed water to pass through.  I pulled part, sealed and rebolted.  No more water.

Edited by Joeprunc