Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

maiden voyage

A-hole

At the risk of creating more of an issue, just can't stand to see my dealership slammed. We work way too hard for our customers and have won CSI awards every year I have owned this store.

This boat was a Christmas surprise that was to be delivered right before we closed for the holidays. Customer changed his plans and picked it up two days earlier instead with no notice. He told us here that he was going to hide it behind a building on his property and take the family out for a ride over the holidays. The boat had been used on one demo ride before customer purchased.

When signing the paperwork and going over all options, equipment, service, warranty, stereo, etc., customer NEVER asked the boat to be winterized. In Central Texas, many of our customers use their boats all year long. Sure we have freezes, but you have a good amount of 70 and 80 degree days in the winter months as well and lots of folks like to get out when the lakes are not crowded. We normally winterize about 30 boats per winter. That is a tiny fraction of our customer base.

If we had agreed this to be done on purchase order, rigging sheet or even in an email, I would accept full responsibility. If the boat was here on my property, I would accept full responsibility as well.

When customer comes to the dealership and tells me I need to fix it or I am going to hear from their lawyer, my level of cooperation falls down a notch. CTWS did not tell them to "screw off". We will repair this motor for them and be here for their ongoing warranty and service going forward like we have for all the other folks that are facing the expense of an engine replacement.

Rob Falgout

Central Texas Water Sports

The OP's title for this thread said "maiden voyage" - so assume this past weekend was his first trip on the boat. Your post said it had a demo ride in December before the OP purchased it. If the OP didn't use the boat until now, the water in there is from the demo ride.

Wow, that's a tough situation to be in, I don't envy either party. Just one more reason I work on my own boat whenever possible to avoid overlooked or assumed work.

-- Mike

Why would the dealer winterize the boat if he was going to 'take the family for a ride over the holidays.'? If I was the customer I would say, I plan on taking my family for a ride, but in the off chance they don't want to go please drain the water out of the block and manifolds please.....Hook everything back up so we are ready to roll if we do go for a ride....

I'm not familiar with the particulars of this situation but what I can say is Central Texas Water Sports have treated me very well. Rob, Kenny and Paul have been great. I didn't even buy a boat directly from them and they have treated me like I'm on my 4th or 5th boat from them. When in fact I purchased a used boat that they originally sold and have been servicing it since new. When I flew to Texas to purchase the boat I paid CTWS to do the warranty inspection and winterize the boat and a few other items. The weather in Texas was miserable in early feb and with snow and below zero temps they gave up space in the shop for a full day from open to close and allowed me clean out the boat and ready it for storage. Kenny the service Manager was always particular about me being in person to review the work order requests or have it sent via email to insure everything was covered and nothing was missed. When they were done with the winterization on my boat it was tagged with a big WINTERIZED tag(picture below) on the wheel with the initials of the MalibuTech whom performed it they made it very clear the boat was winterized. So My experience has been very different up to this point, now if my boat shows up with a cracked block I will be :whistle: a different tune :biggrin: . However up till this point they have stepped up above and beyond for me and have been very solid at communicating. :rockon:

post-13794-010252900 1303705577_thumb.jp

Edited by mac19
  • 1 month later...

I met these guys today. They were great. I even explained that i was here from out of town on business trip. Rob took the time to educate me on Malibu and answer my noob questions.