Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Our BU finally arrived...Issues

AustnJPR

I once bought a pretty expensive used car in Houston and I live in Northern California. I had an inspection done on the car prior to purchasing which didn't reveal anything of concern. I then flew there to look at in person prior to forking over the dough. When I got there I noticed a few things that you could not tell in the pictures I looked at. I decided that they were all ones that I could either live with or repair without much issue and went through with the deal. Had I not done the final inspection myself I would have been pretty pissed for a little while, as much at myself for not making the final inspection, with the dealer for not telling me about a couple of the scratches. That said, my wife didn't notice most of the scratches that I saw.

It is a used boat and the buyer should take responsibility for making the final inspection on the boat. If each of us on this forum looked at this boat we would all have a slightly different opinion on how good of shape it is in. Some would just drop it in the water and start using it, others would want to fix things. If it were a new boat, then the dealer / manufacture will have responsibility to make sure you get it in new condition. Any damage the shrink wrap caused should be able to be polished out with a little work. If it is strictly gel coat repair/damage and you couldn't see it sitting on the trailer I would move on and just fix the scratches from the wrap. That said, many of us would want to fix it, which is why only the purchaser and determine what condition the boat is in.

Getting an attorney involved for the issues that have been addressed here would be a complete waste of money and time, the attorneys will be the only ones better off at the end of the day.

I really do hope you are able to get this behind you soon and start enjoying the boat, it looks great in the pictures.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AustnJPR

• Bill_AirJunky

• skurfer

• martinarcher

$3k gelcoat bill is pretty significant. IMO way more than buffing where the shrink rubbed. OP can you please give a breakdown what $3k is covering? You do want to avoid the attorneys make money and you not.....

Edited by skurfer

$3k gelcoat bill is pretty significant. IMO way more than buffing where the shrink rubbed. OP can you please give a breakdown what $3k is covering? You do want to avoid the attorneys make money and you not.....

The 3 k is covering the gouge lines that run along the middle of the boat right where the shrink wrap stopped on the orange portion of the hull. This runs down both sides of the boat and also on the transom and both rear corners.

The pictures I posted earlier where just along the black on the top cap. They are also fixing the spider crack and due to the proximity of the repair to the decal the decal would have to come off and be replaced. Because the decals had a few scuffs as well we decided to replace both.

There were also a few nicks and dings on the bottom of the boat that I would have never seen had the boat not been put on a lift. However I felt that since we were doing repairs we may as well fix all of it. The fact is that the shrink wrap caused the damage. I am just ready to get the boat back from the shop and start enjoying it. After all we have paid a sizable chunk of change and have yet to have any fun with it.

I felt the best option would have been for the dealer to meet me in the middle on the repair cost, however I never asked since they basically told me it was not their issue. I am however going to ask.

Here is a reference pic for where the wrap met the hull.

2ut53c5.jpg

A proper transport shrink wrap job would have included shrink wrap tape along the edge to prevent the wind from letting the rough edge beat it in the wind. Bummer that a few minutes of work and few dollars in tape could have avoided all this.

A proper transport shrink wrap job would have included shrink wrap tape along the edge to prevent the wind from letting the rough edge beat it in the wind. Bummer that a few minutes of work and few dollars in tape could have avoided all this.

:plus1: There is the root of the issue. From the picture you posted it doesn't apear that the shrink wrap edge is taped down at all. It should have plastic tape that is covers the seam where the plastic wrap meets the boat surface on the sides, back, and bow.

I can tell you I had my 05 Response shrink wrapped in Dallas and trailered it to Northern Idaho through high winds, heavey rain, and even snow and it did not get any gel abraisions from the shrink wrap. The guy that wrapped mine did put foam padding in certain areas that would have been a rub point. Plus I stood there watching him shrink wrap the boat and asked lots of questions the entire time. :whistle:

Edited by BuFootin

I am in Dallas all week for updating my Crestron skills for work... got to pay the bills some how! :biggrin:

However I will give a detailed response to all that has been said when I get time. I'll even ask my wife chime in so as to get another perspective.

Fact is we are being told we are out in the cold so to speak from the dealer. I did however pay 1500.00 dollar deposit on a 3000.00 dollar gel coat repair job on Friday. This doesn't even cover the speakers or the lights as mentioned above. However Trey Chamrad with Hydrotunes happens to be in my Crestron class this week as well. So maybe a deal on some Wet Sounds will alleviate that problem. :clap:

Fact is that as of right now I have nothing good to say about Eric or Tyler with Sundown Sport and Marine. They have done nothing but make excuses

and I have not even asked them for a single dollar at this point. I also asked them for the contact info. for the company that wrapped the boat...

As of yet nothing has been received.

The pics of the damage are in the hands of people a bit smarter than I and as soon as I get the go ahead I will post them up.

That sounds like you are getting a lawyer involved. If so the only one to win in that will be the lawyer. Frivolous lawsuits just cost the rest of us money as companies have to pass their cost of doing business onto all of us. That cost includes defending themselves.

The couple of hours of laywers fees would pay for the detailing.

Yes, could have been prevented. Starting with shrink wrap company, dealer, shipper....

Interesting. One would have hoped that at least ONE of those companies would have spoke up if this is standard practice.

My buddy drug his old MC 205 from Spokane to Del Rio & BACK over the last 2 yrs. They put the tower down, installed the stock cover & then shrink wrapped over the top of of it all & he didn't have any damage at all.

Bummer man this sucks. If you have insurance why don't you file a claim on the damage, have your insurance company go after whoever they think is at fault.

Just because you contact a lawyer doesn't mean there is going to be a lawsuit. Maybe just a letter?

Scott

Ok a couple of hours of lawyers fees to write a letter would pay for the detailing

Ok a couple of hours of lawyers fees to write a letter would pay for the detailing

It's NOT DETAILING! There is no amount of washing, waxing, buffing, compounding that will fix it. Period.

You guys are crazy. This guys complaints are not frivolous. I'd be mad too. I already said what I think would be fair. The dealer should step up here.

You guys are crazy. This guys complaints are not frivolous. I'd be mad too. I already said what I think would be fair. The dealer should step up here.

:plus1:

gelcoat damage is not "detailing." And the selling dealer should have popped to have it detailed where delivered, a good dealer would have done that. We are talking about very expensive items here. You are not asking car-max to bring a Kia from another store.

The damage underneath should have been visible on a simple inspection - if it truly was not there when shipped, then it is not so hard to figure out who did that damage. I saw the question asked earlier, but never saw an answer - who selected the shipping company? If it was the selling dealer, then they share responsibility with the shipper and should be acting as middle man on that claim. If it was the buyer, then the selling dealer should at least be offering to document the boat was un-damaged when leaving to aid the buyer in his claim.

:plus1:

gelcoat damage is not "detailing." And the selling dealer should have popped to have it detailed where delivered, a good dealer would have done that. We are talking about very expensive items here. You are not asking car-max to bring a Kia from another store.

The damage underneath should have been visible on a simple inspection - if it truly was not there when shipped, then it is not so hard to figure out who did that damage. I saw the question asked earlier, but never saw an answer - who selected the shipping company? If it was the selling dealer, then they share responsibility with the shipper and should be acting as middle man on that claim. If it was the buyer, then the selling dealer should at least be offering to document the boat was un-damaged when leaving to aid the buyer in his claim.

The DEALER picked the company to wrap the boat. We paid the DEALER for the service. The shipper was Wayne Kraft WE chose him and paid him upon delivery. He had nothing to do with the wrapping of the boat.

The DEALER picked the company to wrap the boat. We paid the DEALER for the service. The shipper was Wayne Kraft WE chose him and paid him upon delivery. He had nothing to do with the wrapping of the boat.

And this is the key here. The buyer paid the dealer for the shrink wrap job. It doesn't matter if the boat was perfect when it left the dealer. The dealer is responsible for the quality of the shrink wrap job for transport, and the poor quality shrink wrap job is what caused the damage during transport.

The dealer should be knowledgeable in the proper way to shrink wrap a boat to prevent damage. If they are not they should not have accepted the money to perform that service. A responsible dealer should step up and cover the cost to repair the damage that the shrink wrap caused.

If the dealer had for example lowered the tower and improperly braced it for transport, causing damage to the dashboard en route, they should be responsible for that as well. No amount of saying "well it was perfect when it left here" justifies improper transport prep on the dealer’s part when it was paid for.

And this is the key here. The buyer paid the dealer for the shrink wrap job. It doesn't matter if the boat was perfect when it left the dealer. The dealer is responsible for the quality of the shrink wrap job for transport, and the poor quality shrink wrap job is what caused the damage during transport.

The dealer should be knowledgeable in the proper way to shrink wrap a boat to prevent damage. If they are not they should not have accepted the money to perform that service. A responsible dealer should step up and cover the cost to repair the damage that the shrink wrap caused.

If the dealer had for example lowered the tower and improperly braced it for transport, causing damage to the dashboard en route, they should be responsible for that as well. No amount of saying "well it was perfect when it left here" justifies improper transport prep on the dealer’s part when it was paid for.

AMEN! This was our point that we TRIED to relay to the dealer. They just shrugged their shoulders and said not our issues, our boat was perfect when it left...

That sounds like you are getting a lawyer involved. If so the only one to win in that will be the lawyer. Frivolous lawsuits just cost the rest of us money as companies have to pass their cost of doing business onto all of us. That cost includes defending themselves.

The couple of hours of laywers fees would pay for the detailing.

You may have a point about the cost benefit analysis of whether a lawyer is the best use of the OPs financial resources, but methinks your lawyer-hating goggles are turning this into a "frivolous lawsuit.".

All true. But you would think that if ANYONE saw ANYTHING that made them think there could be a problem, maybe they would say something. Hopefully the dealer & the shrinkwrap people have experience shipping boats. But the transport guy definitely does. And he watched it going on for 2000 miles. At some point, I would HOPE that any one of them would say to someone that they don't think it's a good idea to continue like it is.

Lets face it, if a tire blew on the trailer & it bent the fender, they would fix it before they continued, right??

All true. But you would think that if ANYONE saw ANYTHING that made them think there could be a problem, maybe they would say something. Hopefully the dealer & the shrinkwrap people have experience shipping boats. But the transport guy definitely does. And he watched it going on for 2000 miles. At some point, I would HOPE that any one of them would say to someone that they don't think it's a good idea to continue like it is.

Lets face it, if a tire blew on the trailer & it bent the fender, they would fix it before they continued, right??

Bill, You make a very good point here. I did not consider that aspect as much as the preparation aspect. In the end we are getting our boat fixed.

So far it has come out of our pocket. We will get over all of this and start enjoying our boat soon enough. It has been a learning experience and

one I am in no hurry to repeat.

Bill, You make a very good point here. I did not consider that aspect as much as the preparation aspect. In the end we are getting our boat fixed.

So far it has come out of our pocket. We will get over all of this and start enjoying our boat soon enough. It has been a learning experience and

Is this something insurance would cover? Have you checked into it?

Yea, it sounds like preparation was definitely lacking. I suppose if the dealer or the shrinkwrap guys had zero experience shipping boats, then it could have gotten by them & should be chalked up as learning experience (maybe sharing in the expense too).

It just seems to me that if I were driving down the road & saw something beating the hell out of the side of the boat, I would stop & make a phone call, not just keep driving. :unsure:

Yea, it sounds like preparation was definitely lacking. I suppose if the dealer or the shrinkwrap guys had zero experience shipping boats, then it could have gotten by them & should be chalked up as learning experience (maybe sharing in the expense too).

It just seems to me that if I were driving down the road & saw something beating the hell out of the side of the boat, I would stop & make a phone call, not just keep driving. :unsure:

My guess and (it's only that) is the shrink wrap company doesn't have much experience shipping boats. I could be wrong, but they probably have more experience shrink wrapping for winterization? If I was the shipper and the boat/trailer was on a flat bed(?) I'm going to get up there and check if the shrink wrap job is good or causing damage. Main reason I try not to tow with a cover on the boat.......

70+ MPH going into a head wind has the potential to cause damage towing/shipping with cover or shrink wrap. As we know.....

I am with the dealership that sold this consignment boat & I can tell you that this boat came into the dealership in great shape & left for the trip to Texas in great shape. I can also say with 99.9% certainty that this boat has never been wrecked as we were the original boat owners selling & servicing dealer. We are very sorry that the new owner is not 100% satisfied with his purchase but this is to no fault of our own. We sent him almost 100 photos & had countless telephone & email coversations regarding the condition of this boat. Is there shrinkwrap glue on the boat? Probably. Did the shrinkwrap wear on the gelcoat in some spots? Maybe. I guarantee that had the owner come to our store to purchase the boat he would have seen the boat for what it was, a 5 year old 23 Wakesetter in immaculate condition. But he did not do that. His first in person glimpse of the boat was after a 2,000 mile trip down the highway & his new awesome Malibu was dirty & grimy. I understand that. But with a little bit of elbow grease that boat will be a stunner again i have no doubt.

As a dealer it's always a tough call whether to respond to this sort of thing & thank goodness we don't have much experience to draw from. In this situation we felt it in our best interest & the Crew's best interest to give the other side of the story. With that said we have no plans to further this argument on this forum.

Happy boating to all!

I wonder if taking this issue to the forum before it was beat to death with the dealer first was the best idea? I am sure the dealer may be a little more pissed off now and may not want to help. However, it was cool that the dealer did chime in and I agree with them that it is a tough call weather to chime in or now. I do find it lame that the dealer basically said this is how it is and we will not further discuss it. I think they should chime in once more and inform us that THEY WILL MEET THE BUYER 1/2 WAY WITH THE REPARIS! Waiting with baited breath....

You may have a point about the cost benefit analysis of whether a lawyer is the best use of the OPs financial resources, but methinks your lawyer-hating goggles are turning this into a "frivolous lawsuit.".

+1000000

Doesn't a "frivolous lawsuit" imply that no damage was incurred? If someone walks up to my MacBook Pro and smashes it w/ a hammer, is my lawsuit frivolous because the damage was "only" $2200?

Edited by Tacostik