Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock SS Prop.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doughickey

• R1LOVER

• Rip6@36

• VinRLX

I don't see how grinding the hub would have much of an affect on ballance at all, it's so close to the center. Unless it was barely off balance.

I'll try to contact Acme when I get time.

I just spoke to ACME because I need to send my old prop in to be repaired and I asked them how they balance the prop. Just fyi its $80 to repair and rebalance. $90 if they have to weld repair.

Boomer is correct. They remove material on the back side (ACME used the term back side) of the blades. They can remove material from the hub area, but generally the back side of the blade is the place. That explains the smooth area you are seeing.

Edited by Rip6@36
  • 1 year later...

Just to add on to this old thread. I pulled off my old CVP SS 13x13 this weekend. All three blades had hairline cracks (the longest about 1")...

Edit: Even better, I forgot to add that there was no cotter pin when I pulled off the old CVP! I had never touched the prop before -- can't believe I hadn't noticed it! I'm assuming it came that way. (Glad I put the cotter pin on with the new prop ....Didn't have it quite tight enough and the key got loose and backed all the way down to the cotter pin).

Edited by Addictedto6

I replaced my cvp w/ an Acme last year. The second time out this year I bent one of the blades and had to put the cvp back on. The CFO thought something was wrong after becoming used to the smooth performance of the acme. It's a night and day difference.

As others have mentioned, the stainless has the ability to take a licking and keep on ticking. One little bump and the acme folded like a piece of paper.

Just to add on to this old thread. I pulled off my old CVP SS 13x13 this weekend. All three blades had hairline cracks (the longest about 1")...

Edit: Even better, I forgot to add that there was no cotter pin when I pulled off the old CVP! I had never touched the prop before -- can't believe I hadn't noticed it! I'm assuming it came that way. (Glad I put the cotter pin on with the new prop ....Didn't have it quite tight enough and the key got loose and backed all the way down to the cotter pin).

Whic h prop did you replace the cvp w/?

Whic h prop did you replace the cvp w/?

went with the OJ XMP 13x11.5. pretty happy with it...I added the details to the prop db thread, but here they are:

99 SLXI

Monsoon II

~50ft

13X11.5 OJ XMP

WOT 4900rpm and 45.8mph gps

34mph= 3340rpm PP baseline, full tank + 170 crew

old cvp prop: 34mph = 3170rpm

I replaced my cvp w/ an Acme last year. The second time out this year I bent one of the blades and had to put the cvp back on. The CFO thought something was wrong after becoming used to the smooth performance of the acme. It's a night and day difference.

As others have mentioned, the stainless has the ability to take a licking and keep on ticking. One little bump and the acme folded like a piece of paper.

It has been noted that the CVP props can sling a blade. To keep this from happening, box up the CVP & send it to me. :)

It has been noted that the CVP props can sling a blade. To keep this from happening, box up the CVP & send it to me. :)

I've got 2 CVPs with low hours on them that I'd sell ya.

I've got 2 CVPs with low hours on them that I'd sell ya.

Have they ever been damaged? How much $$

I think they are both in good shape. One was the original prop on my '97 Echelon and I put a 4 blade OJ on that boat. The second was original on my '99 SLxi that the previous owner replaced with a 4 blade ?? Make me an offer. I can get some pix for ya.

Edited by mrothwell
went with the OJ XMP 13x11.5. pretty happy with it...I added the details to the prop db thread, but here they are:

99 SLXI

Monsoon II

~50ft

13X11.5 OJ XMP

WOT 4900rpm and 45.8mph gps

34mph= 3340rpm PP baseline, full tank + 170 crew

old cvp prop: 34mph = 3170rpm

I am getting almost identical performance out of the same set up. I am at 1200ft and get 4825rpm WOT and 44.0 gps. The OJ is a super smooth prop. Get rid of the SS. You will love the difference. I would shy away from the XMP 13X12 in a sunsetter. I think you would give up a few rpms and be too close to 4600 at WOT

Guys, have a prop question, and since this thread is already discussing props, I'll ask it here instead of a new thread.

My new VLX came with the standard 4-blade ACME CNC prop. While under the boat the other day, I notice on one blade almost all the CNC ridges were ground off flat on the front side, where half of one blade almost looked like a regular prop.

Is this how ACME ballances them or something?

Yes, that how they balance the blade and it should be done on the back side of the blade,(facing the bow). Prop on the boat just has one blade sanded down pretty well and my spare has two blades just lightly sanded.