Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock SS Prop.

My turn looking for advice.

My baseline info: I have a 1998 RLX with the 310 carb and OEM 13" X 13" CVP. I ski. Sometimes take the youngsters boarding, but no fatsacks, extended pylon stuff. I get about 48 mph at 4800-4900 RPM.... but top speed is not important to me. However, I don't really want to bump past the carbie's recommended 4800 RPM redline.) I only have 1 prop, and am a little worried about the CVP "fly-apart" thing... but really, just want the best performance from my BU. hence, am looking for a Prop.

ACME: I spoke with ACME. Great conversation. Although Malibu uses the Model 515 (13" X 12") on their hulls, back in 1998, the torque of the 310 carbie exceeded the Monsoons at low RPM, so ACME recommended the 13" X 13" (Model 425) instead. For my application, they suggested I stick with their Model 425 (13" X 13"). Will give me smooth operation, and possibly a wee bit higher speed at redline. (THIS is wehere I was heading until I read the above post about the XMP.)

OJ XMP: After reading this post and visiting the suggested website above, the XMP suggestion is to use a 13" X 11.5". That's 1.5" LESS pitch than the ACME suggestion. BIG difference! I haven't spoken with anybody live. This seems like a drastic suggestion for my application. I suspect it may be assuming I'm like most "boarding" families with big hulls and big weight.

Anybody know who I would speak with at/for OJ to get a better evaluation?

Re "test driving": Not a workable option for me. (The last time I went to my dealer to discuss props, they couldn't even find a prop puller tool.)

Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doughickey

• R1LOVER

• Rip6@36

• VinRLX

Doug,

This from the skiertoskier.com site (perhaps regurgitated from O.J.):

The XMP 3 blade is a wonderful design.  The blades are huge -- has more surface area than the four blade.  This design really helps compensate for boats that do not have gear reduction transmissions.  Malibu owners -- this is your prop. Our customers have been raving about this prop.  It out performs the 4 blade on one to one transmission boats!  FYI -- if you have a 13 x 13 prop on your boat now -- order the 13 x 11.5 3 blade.  That is how efficient this prop is!

Might be worth an e-mail or phone call to [email protected] or 877-603-8277.

Thanks. I just talked to Max. (I think he wrote the piece for the websit....said the same to me live.) Knowledgeable guy. He strongly suggests the 13" X 11.5". However, his logic is that it will hold speed with deep shortline skiers doing the course. He estimates 4000 RPM for 36 mph. really helps the pro-skiers.

He's at least convinced me NOT to get a 13" X 13". However, re the 11.5" vs the 12"......

A few factors are still pushing me to the 13" X 12". First, I'll never do deep shortline... too old, too weak. Second, I'd like to keep the revs down a bit (engine wear, gas consumption). Third, my 310 carbie redlines at 4800. I'd rather not bump into the limiter when/if I do decide to go fast the odd time.

Funny.... I was all set last fall to order the 13" X 13" ACME from Wakeside and get my 15% discount. Then they pulled the discount. Last week, I posed the question on WSR about getting the discount back.... on Thursday.... no response.

Then comes this recent set of tests from TMC members and I'm now leaning towards the OJ. This is a real live case of where TMC helped me out more than WSR.

Thanks for the help folks.

I talked with Bill Weeks at Acme two years ago about buying one of their props. He told me that since top speed for barefooting was my primary goal that the SS CVP 13 x 13 would perform best. My CVP developed a crack in the hub since then and I have replaced it with a SS built by OJ. OJ now has discontinued their SS due to the high cost od SS props.

Bill

Doug, I don't beleive your 310 carbie has a rev limiter. Your manual may say that your redline is 4,800, as does mine, but Indmar now says 5,000 for the same engine now and they have not made any modifications. Mine runs 5,000-5,100 according to my tach. 4,800 to 5,200 is ok for a GM 350 CI.

Thanks 88.

Interested in what prop you run? I don't usually "waffle".... I'm torn between the 11.5" and the 12" pitch. Where would you put your money... and why? (I like reading your posts... you get to the point with good insight.)

Thanks.

I think I have a 13x12 ACME. I am opening up my camp this weekend and will check. I'll also put some skis in my Skier's rack and take a picture for you. I'd go with what's on my Sportster if you have a non diamond hull. I think we use our boats similarly and my Sportster has a great hole shot and top end. If you have a diamond hull, I don't know.

Edited by 88Skier

Hey jg, will do. However, our lakes are still locked in ice. It will be quite some time before I make my move.... but i will post all the stats when I'm done.

Thanks.

Tow 'er down here, Doug. You can use my water and I'll gladly help you swap out props during testing. As a bonus, you can test-drive your next boat. :)

Jack, that is tempting.

However, the CFO wouldn't be happy with a replacement boat purchase. She wants a new couch, some replacement bedroom furniture, wants to take precious summer vacation time and travel, ..... you know, NON-boat stuff.

I have to be more subtle. A road trip draws too much attention. I may be able to slide a new prop on my boat without any notice at all.

By the way.... it's not one-sided. She is just as sneaky when she hits the mall. Delays bringing stuff into the house until I'm out of sight.

Weird.

I just replaced my damaged prop with the Acme 515 13X12 (stock prop). I played around with a couple of other props and the 515 is a perfect match for my boat. I guess the engineers knew their stuff when they mactched up the drive system on the RLXi w/Monsoon.

Yeah, and/or the prop guys. I keep looking for an excuse to buy a spare and/or try something that might tweak the performance. So far I'm not convinced that a different prop will do anything for me. Although, maybe the OJ XMP 13x11.5. . .

Rip, what did you play around with and what did you find?

Guys, have a prop question, and since this thread is already discussing props, I'll ask it here instead of a new thread.

My new VLX came with the standard 4-blade ACME CNC prop. While under the boat the other day, I notice on one blade almost all the CNC ridges were ground off flat on the front side, where half of one blade almost looked like a regular prop.

Is this how ACME ballances them or something?

I have a dealer friend and we tried the 13 square and the 11.5 and they pereformed exactly as expected. I'm not bumping my rev limiter even with the 11.5, but I didn't see any top end change either. The 13X12 was the best match of top end and hole shot with a WOT RPM at about 5,050.

I ski with a couple of really good skiers who are over 200lbs and the 13X12 pulls strong and steady. They used to pull my Prostar 190 LT1 4 blade all over the place.

Another interesting comparison is that I can run my Perfect Pass at a lower R factor with the 13x12 then the others and still hit my times. It is better matched to the sweet spot 2,800 to 3,700 RPM.

Guys, have a prop question, and since this thread is already discussing props, I'll ask it here instead of a new thread.

My new VLX came with the standard 4-blade ACME CNC prop. While under the boat the other day, I notice on one blade almost all the CNC ridges were ground off flat on the front side, where half of one blade almost looked like a regular prop.

Is this how ACME ballances them or something?

Most of material removed for balance is from the hub. It is possible that they removed material from the blade, but not likely in my experience. Call Acme and ask. They have always been great to work with IMO.

1-888-661-ACME

To rip6: I assume you're talking about ACME's when you discuss the 13", the 12" and the 11.5" pitched props. Or, are you talking OJ XMP's?

My gut has been telling me I want the 13" X 12" (vs 11.5").... which is exactly your conclusion.

But, which Mfg are you talking?

Thanks.

with a WOT RPM at about 5,050.  It is better matched to the sweet spot 2,800 to 3,700 RPM.

Thanks, Rip. Mine turns 5050 as well, with occasional bumps to 5100. The other props you put on were ACMEs, I take it?

Acme-sorry. Acme is about an hour from my house so I am a bit biased toward them. We can get just about any prop we want to try. My good friend just bought a new Prostar 197 last fall and he couldn't get the top end he wanted for footing and we tried 8 different combinations of pitch and diameter. He finally returned the boat and ordered one with the $10,000 NorthStar engine. It is a fun story. My stock BU ate his lunch and still does.

Yahoo.gif

I just replaced my damaged prop with the Acme 515 13X12 (stock prop).  I played around with a couple of other props and the 515 is a perfect match for my boat.  I guess the engineers knew their stuff when they mactched up the drive system on the RLXi w/Monsoon.

The 515 is a perfect match for my boat also Yahoo.gif

Doug I think your gut is correct Biggrin.gif

Rip6@36

I would think the prop would be balanced right out of the cnc :)

In my past life, I worked in manufacturing at Garrett Turbine Engine in Phoenix. We manufactured aircraft engines and machined Turbine and Compressor wheels. Even though the finished part is precision machined, there are variations in material density and variation in the machining. Balancing is critical to a high speed rotating component. I could be wrong, but I recall seeing grind areas on the hub of my ACME prop where it was balanced.

I would be interested in what Boomer found out when/if he spoke to the guys at ACME about the inconsistent finish on his prop.