Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding cruise to an 02 Sunsetter...what would you do?

dtm8119

OK, well at least now we're both clear as to what you're referring to. :biggrin:

But you still think ppass is overrated for a novice course-driver? Have to say that's the first time I've ever heard that but to each his own.

Man, you are on me like a swarm of bees! :lol: Well, we all know that PP has saved a lot of marriages. Having said that, I have skied with guys that could land a 747 beautifully but couldn't drive slalom even with PP. So I guess I mean that you either have it or you don't, with or without PP. PP definately makes it easier on the driver.

Man, you are on me like a swarm of bees! :lol: Well, we all know that PP has saved a lot of marriages. Having said that, I have skied with guys that could land a 747 beautifully but couldn't drive slalom even with PP. So I guess I mean that you either have it or you don't, with or without PP. PP definately makes it easier on the driver.

That's all I'm getting at. Novice course drivers asking whether speed control is worth it and you were saying no. Just clarifying whether that's really your opinion. I think the the consensus is pretty clear that most don't share that opinion thought if you're running 38 I'm not going to argue, just clarify :biggrin: .

Exactly. A regular average driver with perfect pass on a bad day is equal to the best driver on a good day. I wouldn't call that overrated.

Having a perfect pass will make your day on the lake exactly equal to good hand driving. Cruise is nice but way overrated.

That's all I'm getting at. Novice course drivers asking whether speed control is worth it and you were saying no. Just clarifying whether that's really your opinion. I think the the consensus is pretty clear that most don't share that opinion thought if you're running 38 I'm not going to argue, just clarify :biggrin: .

85, You may or may not know this. The first year that PP was used at the water ski Nationals was 1998. The earlier PP and other various speed control versions were showing up a few years before the 98 Nationals. One of the main reasons that speed control was developed was.....too much cheating in tournaments, not just easier for the driver. Then 10 years later, GPS speed control(ZO) comes along because.....too much cheating in tournaments, not just easier on the driver. Now guess what.....Very hard to cheat in tournaments now.

85, You may or may not know this. The first year that PP was used at the water ski Nationals was 1998. The earlier PP and other various speed control versions were showing up a few years before the 98 Nationals. One of the main reasons that speed control was developed was.....too much cheating in tournaments, not just easier for the driver. Then 10 years later, GPS speed control(ZO) comes along because.....too much cheating in tournaments, not just easier on the driver. Now guess what.....Very hard to cheat in tournaments now.

And still no skiing in the Olympics. Sad.gif

uhhh, OK, what does that have to do with a novice course skier/driver asking if PPass is worth it?

Ask the guys at ppass and ZO whether they developed it because there was too much cheating in tournaments. They designed those systems because it was a business opportunity. Was an opportunity for ppass because it allowed essentially anyone to drive a 16.95 with andy mapple. ZO had the opportunity to guarantee a 16.95 without complicated settings.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

So to answer this question, I would say look at Ski-It-Again, as suggested. If you can find a module and gauge, Perfect Pass can set you up with the rest of the stuff. They are great to deal with. I have a single line display I would be willing to part with, it includes the Tach. Let me know if you are interested.

Hey everyone - So last year about this time, me and a friend picked up a 02' Sunsetter LXI. It's been an awesome boat so far...spent a ton of time skiing behind it, and this spring picked up a used slalom course for our lake. The next logical thing to get/add to the boat would be some sort of speed control, since the boat we got didn't come from the factory with perfect pass.

What route would you guys go for getting something for our boat? Are used systems out there and available? We are hoping to find something that won't break the bank, but still will have some good accuracy.

Thanks! :biggrin:

uhhh, OK, what does that have to do with a novice course skier/driver asking if PPass is worth it?

Ask the guys at ppass and ZO whether they developed it because there was too much cheating in tournaments. They designed those systems because it was a business opportunity. Was an opportunity for ppass because it allowed essentially anyone to drive a 16.95 with andy mapple. ZO had the opportunity to guarantee a 16.95 without complicated settings.

Man, you are still not getting it. Do you even ski?

Man, you are still not getting it. Do you even ski?

Uh, a novice course skier and driver asks about ppass being a valuable upgrade and your responses are pretty much that you can run 38 by hand or computer then that ppass is basically a response to "cheating" (which it wasn't) in tournaments (which the OP is obviously not at the level of), and you're telling me I don't get it? Sir, with all due respect, you don't get it. A group of 15 and 22 off skiers with their first course are PERFECTLY suited for perfect pass and they will all improve much faster with it.

I think the opinions expressed in agreement with me in this thread will confirm that while I may not "get it" in your eyes, you're in the minority. And yes I do ski. Well, used to more, sold my lxi and now have a 247 and now rely on the ski club response. Now, did I "kill" 38 as you did last year? I did not. But then again, are you sure on your times when you were killing 38 last year when being hand driven? :biggrin: