Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lifts

Buwannabe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slayer

• Michigan boarder

• Buwannabe

• Badger

Went w/Sunstream in 1999. New ones have stainless pistons, mine had chrome. Still lasted 11 years in fresh water. I pulled the pistons last spring, had them rebuilt ($600) w/nitride pistons and installed last weekend. Good to go for another 10 years. . . I hope. Friend of mine purchased a used 6000# Sunstream for $6K, came will full Sunbrella canopy. Just be careful to inspect the pistons / seals this is a common area of failure for the hydraulics . . regardless of if they push or pull, a good part of the time the piston is exposed.

http://www.sunstreamboatlifts.com/

What is the ideal inside width on a lift? I'm curious to know what others have and how much clearance they have on either side of the boat. I'm asking because I'm considering a 108" wide lift for a 93" wide boat. That leaves me with 7.5" clearance on each side. Your thoughts?

Take a look at the Harbor Master Elite. Very nice design. Made in the Grand Rapids area. Needs very little depth. The water at the end of my dock is about waist deep and I set the back of the lift another 10 ft closer to shore than that. I can still get my Rlxi on without taking down the tower. Looking is free. Our lake is full of them. I've only heard one person complain about them and he tried to use a standard style lift for his pontoon boat.

www.harbor-master.com

What is the ideal inside width on a lift? I'm curious to know what others have and how much clearance they have on either side of the boat. I'm asking because I'm considering a 108" wide lift for a 93" wide boat. That leaves me with 7.5" clearance on each side. Your thoughts?

That's plenty of room for now. Once again, since I bought new, I went with a 120" just to be safe for any future purchases.

My Echelon fits well on my 108 wide, but the side guides are slid almost to the ends. If I want to upgrade to a larger beam I'll be buying a new lift too.

So, ditto Badger, go with 120. However, that cantilever link is a very good deal assuming it's all in good shape plus replacing the vinyl. You could easily use that for the summer, get some experience and education on lifts, sell it and get your money back next year and buy the lift that you know you want, rather than scramble for the right lift now.

My Echelon fits well on my 108 wide, but the side guides are slid almost to the ends. If I want to upgrade to a larger beam I'll be buying a new lift too.

So, ditto Badger, go with 120. However, that cantilever link is a very good deal assuming it's all in good shape plus replacing the vinyl. You could easily use that for the summer, get some experience and education on lifts, sell it and get your money back next year and buy the lift that you know you want, rather than scramble for the right lift now.

That's what I'm fighting with now. My boat is only 3" wider than yours, but it's still 3". I have found a decent deal on a 108" wide vertical lift. I would prefer a vertical lift over a cantilever style based on a higher lift height. I have fluctuating water levels throughout the season and the ability to raise the boat 48-60" is a must for me. The lift I found does have the side guides on it and I measured it and the fit would be tight. I have considered that if I buy it, I can remove the side guides and buy the flexible type and mount them towards the sides of the lift as far as possible. I am also looking into new lifts in an effort to get one that will not require an upgrade should I upgrade the boat.

That's what I'm fighting with now. My boat is only 3" wider than yours, but it's still 3". I have found a decent deal on a 108" wide vertical lift. I would prefer a vertical lift over a cantilever style based on a higher lift height. I have fluctuating water levels throughout the season and the ability to raise the boat 48-60" is a must for me. The lift I found does have the side guides on it and I measured it and the fit would be tight. I have considered that if I buy it, I can remove the side guides and buy the flexible type and mount them towards the sides of the lift as far as possible. I am also looking into new lifts in an effort to get one that will not require an upgrade should I upgrade the boat.

Sorry, forgot about that!

I prefer the side guides over the posts, I had the posts on my lift when I first got it and got crooked inside the lift when a hard wind was blowing (with my I/O). There's a lot more forgiveness with the side guides.

My buddy has one on Belleville lake but I don't know what it would take nowadays to get a permit. Might as well get your boathouse at the same time. Probably both impossible.

My buddy has one on Belleville lake but I don't know what it would take nowadays to get a permit. Might as well get your boathouse at the same time. Probably both impossible.

I have the ability to build a boat house on my property. It is acceptable to the Township in which I reside. It would solve other problems that I have on the property however the expense of driving piles and building the boat house may be cost prohibitive right now. It would be rather nice to have but I just don't see that being an option for me.

This boat lift issue is a royal PITA. I priced a new Harbor Master 114" wide 4000#, no canopy @ $4,400.00, and new Lakeshore 120" wide 4000# with Canopy @ $4,500.00 or used Lakeshore 108" wide 4000# @ $1,300.00 plus the new canopy @ $1,975.00. Looks like I'm buying used.

Edited by inlandlaker

Update and question:

I put together my lakeside boat lift this past weekend, and am impressed with the quality of the lift. Really nice.

I'm about to put it into the water this weekend, but it is going into soft mucky bottom. What are you guys putting under the legs of the lifts? If I just throw it down there with the standard legs, I know its going to sink fairly deep into the mud.

What are you guys doing?

http://midlanderhoists.com/

This is another Michigan co. Its a small company but make a very good lift. It has been around for some time so its not going away tomorrow.

98% of the lifts in my area are Midlander never anyone bad mouthing them. I have not priced on in a year or two but roughly $4,000.00 for a 4,000lbs lift with top

may be up to $4,500.

http://midlanderhoists.com/

This is another Michigan co. Its a small company but make a very good lift. It has been around for some time so its not going away tomorrow.

98% of the lifts in my area are Midlander never anyone bad mouthing them. I have not priced on in a year or two but roughly $4,000.00 for a 4,000lbs lift with top

may be up to $4,500.

Thanks. There are a few of those on our lake as well. I may have just found the solution to my problem though. I will add comments if this is the right deal and situation.

Thanks again.

Update and question:

I put together my lakeside boat lift this past weekend, and am impressed with the quality of the lift. Really nice.

I'm about to put it into the water this weekend, but it is going into soft mucky bottom. What are you guys putting under the legs of the lifts? If I just throw it down there with the standard legs, I know its going to sink fairly deep into the mud.

What are you guys doing?

I've heard of some people laying down two 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood under the feet. My brother-in-law took the permanent route which also made for a nice beach area: He got a roll of Visqueen and a few yards of pea gravel, started rolling out the Visqueen into the lake starting at the beach and shoveled the pea gravel onto it while rolling it out. It pushed out the muck and covered the weeds, which eventually died. He did this along his beach (about 30' wide) and about 50' out into the lake (about 5' deep). He did this about 8 years ago and it is still perfect; very solid. He has his boat lift on this and never had a problem.

What are you guys doing?

At a former cottage, I lived on a channel that was REALLY mucky. I literally would go into the muck over my knees. I couldn't wear waders because once you stepped in, you couldn't pull them back out. I bought a 4 x 8' sheet of treated plywood and ripped it into 4 pieces, 2'x4'. Because the bottom also had a slope to it, I was afraid of the lift sliding off the wood. I decided to bolt the plywood to the feet before putting it into the lake. It actually worked really well. Maybe sank 6" total, and then stopped.

Some warnings to this: make sure you have a lot of help. Once you set it in, it's tough to move. Also, I didn't have to take my lift out in the winter as I didn't have any ice flow at that location. I finally did take it out when we moved and it was a B****! I think I ended up using a pry bar to break the wood off the feet.

Update and question:

What are you guys doing?

My lift is on a pretty steep slope. The front of the lift has no legs installed, it sits on the frame. The back of the lift actually has deep water extensions, so the legs are like 4' out of the frame. In the front, I chain mine to a post that is augered in the ground, underneath a pier section. In the back, I cut two pieces of 3/4" treated plywood and bolted them to the legs. Each piece is 2' x 2'. They bent a little bit with the first install and first time the boat was on it, but since then (10 years ago) they are unchanged. The lift goes in the exact same spot every year.

My lift is on a pretty steep slope. The front of the lift has no legs installed, it sits on the frame. The back of the lift actually has deep water extensions, so the legs are like 4' out of the frame. In the front, I chain mine to a post that is augered in the ground, underneath a pier section. In the back, I cut two pieces of 3/4" treated plywood and bolted them to the legs. Each piece is 2' x 2'. They bent a little bit with the first install and first time the boat was on it, but since then (10 years ago) they are unchanged. The lift goes in the exact same spot every year.

Thanks Michigan Guys for the advice. Guess I am going to do the same. I'll get a sheet of 3/4" plywood this weekend, cut it into 4ths, and bolt it to the legs. My lift is going into my canal, where there isn't ice movement, but only 4 houses from open water :) It's kinda of the best of bolth world, except the view.

What about the canopy? I haven't picked up my canopy yet, but already put a deposit on a 21' canopy. Obviously the boat is exactly 21' feet. I plan to cover the boat overnight, but how well do you guys think a 21' canopy will work? I should of gone with a 24' :(

What about the canopy? I haven't picked up my canopy yet, but already put a deposit on a 21' canopy. Obviously the boat is exactly 21' feet. I plan to cover the boat overnight, but how well do you guys think a 21' canopy will work? I should of gone with a 24' :(

Well, if you are covering it everynight, maybe not a big deal. But if you can change it to a 24, I would. I have a 23 on mine and it is perfect coverage.

Thanks Michigan Guys for the advice. Guess I am going to do the same. I'll get a sheet of 3/4" plywood this weekend, cut it into 4ths, and bolt it to the legs. My lift is going into my canal, where there isn't ice movement, but only 4 houses from open water :) It's kinda of the best of bolth world, except the view.

I agree with MI Boarder. I will be getting a 24' canopy for my boat which is also 21' I wanted the extra room to keep the platform under cover. I will likely be covering my boat only when bad weather is expected.

The issue of plywood on the feet of the lifts is interesting to me. My lake bed is rather sound in the area in which the lift will be installed. I'm going to discuss this with my neighbor and see what he did on his. He's a MC guy with a smaller boat weighing a bit less than mine however his lift has been in it's current location for 8 years and is left in all year. I plan to leave mine in over the winter as well but will be getting an ice eater to agitate the water. I'm three houses down from an outlet to a river and we have decent water movement. It does freeze over, but it's never very solid right in front of the house.

Edited by inlandlaker

Lift problem solved. I expect to take delivery of my lift this week. Monday I will be ordering a new canopy frame and cover. I ended up going with a Lakeshore 4000# vertical lift. It made some sense to me as I have 2 Lakeshore dealers within 7 miles of the house, so that provides some convenience in getting parts, etc. if need be.

Depth is certainly an issue for us as we are waist deep at the end of the dock. The unit we demoed at the boat show was a 6,000lb hydraulic Hewitt (they don't make a 5k) and it seemed to be very nice (and $$$). As far as the power issue goes, the plan is to use a solar/battery system but we do have electric service on shore near the dock. Should the battery die, it seems there would be a way to hook it up to a cord until we could get it fixed.

A fast lift working off of a fob is the way we want to go. He also carries Shorestation, which we will explore.

Next question. Anybody you know use hydraulic AND have to deal with zebra mussels?

I really do appreciate all the help folks. In case you couldn't tell, we are pretty excited to finally have a boat :biggrin:

I have a Summit hydraulic cantilever lift. It is made near Grand Rapids, MI. I have had great luck with the lift - only one issue. I didn't lock the pump box and the wind blew it open. We had a huge rain and water built up in the box and corroded the pump. Pulled the motor and had it rebuilt for free, but it would have been under $100. The cylinders are closed when the lift is up so no issues with the zebra mussels that we have in our lake.

I have always been interested in the Floe VSD. It is a vertical lift and a ball screw pulls the cable. It is very fast, quiet, and efficient. Just wonder how some of the features will hold up to the zebras...

I have a Summit hydraulic cantilever lift. It is made near Grand Rapids, MI. I have had great luck with the lift - only one issue. I didn't lock the pump box and the wind blew it open. We had a huge rain and water built up in the box and corroded the pump. Pulled the motor and had it rebuilt for free, but it would have been under $100. The cylinders are closed when the lift is up so no issues with the zebra mussels that we have in our lake.

I have always been interested in the Floe VSD. It is a vertical lift and a ball screw pulls the cable. It is very fast, quiet, and efficient. Just wonder how some of the features will hold up to the zebras...

Had our Floe VSD installed today. Pretty ironic that our lake place is on Lake Tippy also.