Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Green light for a new (to me) boat

Slayer

Another method I have used is blaring Bush "Breathe in breathe out" and straddling her with the whole "Get up, it's Saturday!! Today is the day you barefoot!!". But you gotta wait until at least 8am to take that approach.

Machinehead

First lxi I've seen priced below $20k.

790 hours is high but not bad if all the maintenance records are there. Plus that is one sharp looking boat! Looks well equipped too, heater, stereo, wedge.

First lxi I've seen priced below $20k.

790 hours is high but not bad if all the maintenance records are there. Plus that is one sharp looking boat! Looks well equipped too, heater, stereo, wedge.

My thoughts exactly. I have been looking at these boats for about 2 years now in preparation of a purchase this season and this too is the first lxi I have seen at this price point. 790 hours is a lot of hours but I keep thinking about a friend who has an older Chris Craft 32' boat with 2 inboard engines with 1500+ hours on them running great and they're 350ci carb GM blocks. So in that regard, 790 hours is approximately half the anticipated life of the engine if properly maintained.

For sure, just have to remember for value and resale, that number scares alot of people away. But that also gives you an advantage when negotiating on the price.

That's a good point. Assuming I keep the boat for 10 years and put 30-50 hours annually on it, it would have 1100-1500 on it. Resale at the point is likely not real good, but I don't see that as being an issue.

My thoughts exactly. I have been looking at these boats for about 2 years now in preparation of a purchase this season and this too is the first lxi I have seen at this price point. 790 hours is a lot of hours but I keep thinking about a friend who has an older Chris Craft 32' boat with 2 inboard engines with 1500+ hours on them running great and they're 350ci carb GM blocks. So in that regard, 790 hours is approximately half the anticipated life of the engine if properly maintained.

That's less than half.

I'm a bit biased of course, but the '03-'06 RLXi is still the sexiest boat ever made. Combined with the awesome ski wake and utility of the walkthru open bow, you won't find a better boat under $20K. It's beam is wider than the Response/RLX, so you will find it is noticeably roomier.

Those hours wouldn't bother me a bit, provided there are good maintenance records. I agree with 85 BF - not even half the life of that engine. Assuming the pics are fresh, that looks like a pretty darned clean ride - especially the engine. Definitely worth taking a serious look. If you can't get there in person, maybe someone from the Crew can swing by and check it out for you.

I'm a bit biased of course, but the '03-'06 RLXi is still the sexiest boat ever made. Combined with the awesome ski wake and utility of the walkthru open bow, you won't find a better boat under $20K. It's beam is wider than the Response/RLX, so you will find it is noticeably roomier.

Those hours wouldn't bother me a bit, provided there are good maintenance records. I agree with 85 BF - not even half the life of that engine. Assuming the pics are fresh, that looks like a pretty darned clean ride - especially the engine. Definitely worth taking a serious look. If you can't get there in person, maybe someone from the Crew can swing by and check it out for you.

Thanks for the confirmation of my thinking. I hope to hear from the dealer today and would be happy to make the drive over there to check it out. I agree, it's a very clean ride.

Thanks for the confirmation of my thinking. I hope to hear from the dealer today and would be happy to make the drive over there to check it out. I agree, it's a very clean ride.

If you can swing it, that's doing it right. That model/year is my next upgrade.

Any thoughts on this? It blows the budget a bit but is attractive. Any thoughts on the asking price related to the age, hours, and the fact that it's being sold by a dealer?

:lol:It was just a matter of time!

If you can swing it, that's doing it right. That model/year is my next upgrade.

I agree.....my gut feeling is that the CFO is going to nix this but I'll fight it if it's the right boat. I have a line on a really nice '02 RLX that's a bit closer to the budget and have been talking extensively with the seller trying to orchestrate an inspection here at the local Bu dealer. He keeps the boat in Northern MI and is going to bring it down for me to get my hands on it and hopefully get it in the water in the next few weeks, weather permitting.

On a side note, I'm starting to see open water on the lake at home and it makes the itch pretty strong!

Molarbu.....no joke about blowing the budget....

Looks like the '03 RLXI is gone.

That stinks. Check out that Echelon with the 454.

Edit: Did you ever think it would be this hard to buy a boat?

Edited by Michigan boarder

That stinks. Check out that Echelon with the 454.

Edit: Did you ever think it would be this hard to buy a boat?

I'm waiting for more information on that echelon with the 454.......and no....never thought that all boats I call on are gone.

Took me over 4 months of serious shopping to find the right one for us. And it wasn't until the day after I gave up that I did.

I also would love to see pics on that 454 EFI Echelon, mostly out of curiosity.

Keep the faith, they'll be coming out of storage around the country very soon now.

Took me over 4 months of serious shopping to find the right one for us. And it wasn't until the day after I gave up that I did.

Keep the faith, they'll be coming out of storage around the country very soon now.

You're right, they will be starting to come out of storage. I got home from work today to see that the ice is melting off the lake pretty fast. There were a few people on the lake with Kyaks today.....in fact, they're out there now.

This boat's close to me and I think could potentially be shoehorned into the budget depending on how motivated the seller is. He says fully loaded but then says "carb" and "no perfect pass" so I guess it's not so loaded after all. :-)

http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/2249522234.html

Anyway, it looks pretty darn clean to me, and Columbus (Ohio) is an easy drive from Michigan. If you could get it even for high teens, you're within spitting distance of the budget and have a very nice boat that can do it all. I see MLS stickers on the window, and it has a factory tower too - nice.

-- Mike

This boat's close to me and I think could potentially be shoehorned into the budget depending on how motivated the seller is. He says fully loaded but then says "carb" and "no perfect pass" so I guess it's not so loaded after all. :-)

http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/2249522234.html

Anyway, it looks pretty darn clean to me, and Columbus (Ohio) is an easy drive from Michigan. If you could get it even for high teens, you're within spitting distance of the budget and have a very nice boat that can do it all. I see MLS stickers on the window, and it has a factory tower too - nice.

-- Mike

Thanks, Mike. That certainly is a beautiful boat. I would have no problem driving to Columbus for a boat.

Thanks, Mike. That certainly is a beautiful boat. I would have no problem driving to Columbus for a boat.

NADA low retail is $17K and change with options, and another $1300 for the trailer. Sounds like he has a lot of extras in terms of gear which you may or may not need or see value in. I think high teens is certainly a possiblity. There is also a really nice Echelon for sale in Columbus that has been upgraded across the board with Monsoon EFI, titan tower, etc. I think it is a 1993 or 1994 model. It is closed bow, though, but sounds very well set-up.

Good luck! If I see anything else local I will drop you a PM.

-- Mike

NADA low retail is $17K and change with options, and another $1300 for the trailer. Sounds like he has a lot of extras in terms of gear which you may or may not need or see value in. I think high teens is certainly a possiblity. There is also a really nice Echelon for sale in Columbus that has been upgraded across the board with Monsoon EFI, titan tower, etc. I think it is a 1993 or 1994 model. It is closed bow, though, but sounds very well set-up.

Good luck! If I see anything else local I will drop you a PM.

-- Mike

Thanks again. I also checked NADA on that SLX you linked. It's really a nice boat and I think you're right about the high teens. I think open bow for me is key and I did check out the Echelon you mentioned. I just don't see my family spending money on a boat like this without an open bow. I think my wife is starting to come around a bit on the money matters. I have given her some examples of what a few more $ can buy and she is interestingly inspired.

I got to see pics of that 95 echelon with the 454.....looks beautiful and you would not think that it's 16 years old. VERY nice boat. I'll be talking more with the seller for sure.....I just wish he was a little closer than Pittsburg.

I think I'm moving closer to a model decision. I may also have talked the CFO into a slightly higher budget. I will keep you all posted. I'm super excited, to say the least, to be a Malibu owner soon!