Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97-98 malibu echelon engine options/performance

WBL skier

So...where are the under-clamshell pics of that beast of a motor??? :-) Oh, and the dash...hopefully there is a big 5" Autometer or Livorsi tach front and center!

-- Mike

I think Woodski's boat is like Bigfoot we all know it exists but most of us have not seen it. :Tease3: . I have been asking him for pictures also sounds like an awsome project. :notworthy:

They're calling you out Woodski! Come on, let's see 'em! I'm guessing it is trophy worthy, you've definitely set the bar high for us.

EchelonMike,

I tried to get my ski buddy to purhcase your boat when you had it listed on the site...beautiful. He was hung up on the fact it was a carb'd boat and wouldn't give in. I offered to go pick it up even, still no. I offered him my boat instead, and I would go buy yours. Still no, mine was the wrong color. I very much wanted to have the boat in my skiing rotation. So here we sit and he still hasn't purchased a boat after 3 years now of telling me to find him the perfect boat...which yours was and he wouldn't believe me. :biggrin:

Did it sell locally?

Seth

Edited by Sethro

No offense on you guys calling me out, haha. I can't seem to post the pics requested, but since most of the engine mods are internal it looks just a bit different but there has been a pic of my dash on the site a few times.

That is a real bummer, my boat is carbed and runs just fine. The only noticible effect is a few pumps to get it to cold start and mine tends to need a choke adjustment a couple times a year since the bi metallic spring is not quite calibrated correctly over a wide temperature range. I was able to get some late year carb parts from the Weber rep which helped a bit. I also made some mods to improve response and flow. The secondary butterfly plate weights have been lightened, bigger accelerator pump squirter (040 v 030), and newer air horns. They are a very simple and easy to tune carb and actually flow more air than most of the injected setups, way more than the 600 cfm needed at 5000 rpm.

Seth, do you happen to know Pat Prince of Prince Race Car Engineering who lives and has a shop in Sterling, Il?

Edited by Woodski

No offense on you guys calling me out, haha. I can't seem to post the pics requested

I knew it. Just like the Diet Dr. Pepper commercial: the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, unicorns, an Echelon with the "so called" mods (including the big Autometer tach)....all just make believe!:Tease3:

EchelonMike,

I tried to get my ski buddy to purhcase your boat when you had it listed on the site...beautiful. He was hung up on the fact it was a carb'd boat and wouldn't give in. I offered to go pick it up even, still no. I offered him my boat instead, and I would go buy yours. Still no, mine was the wrong color. I very much wanted to have the boat in my skiing rotation. So here we sit and he still hasn't purchased a boat after 3 years now of telling me to find him the perfect boat...which yours was and he wouldn't believe me. :biggrin:

Did it sell locally?

Seth

Hey Seth,

It went to a new owner up in Maine, actually. Nice guy (Andy); I still talk to him once or twice a year and he's enjoying it, which is always good to hear.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for another one!

-- Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I talked to Malibu and asked them about a "true" 1998 Echelon...when the final year was supposed to be 1997. Merced told me that they pumped out a few more in 1998...which pretty much says to me that they had some left over inventory.

Fine by me; nice to know that we have pretty much the Last of the Mohicans of this epic boat. I bought all new skins from Chee, so it's looking really good these days. I only have 2 more to put on.

What Mods/upgrades have you Echelon owners made thus far? Mine are:

-New steering cable (wonderful difference)

-Skins

-Motorbox insulation

-In-Line Exhaust Silencers

-LEDs interior (just replaced the stock bulbs)

-Underwater LED (special Mod I did w/o drilling holes since I'm a chicken)

-Nude (No decals)

-SS cup holders

-SS throttle knob

I don't think I'll ever put a tower on it; it just looks too sleek and clean without.

• 2 weeks later...

To add fuel to this fire, I have found a 1996 (as claimed by the current owner-no HID yet to verify) Echelon LX with a step over and computron. I will verify and respond once model year is confirmed but based on the history of the Echelon LX as discussed on this site, it seems strange that there would be a 1996 with the step over.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you find a 96 Echelon with a step over? If so, also consider there is an aftermarket method of turning a response into a response LX. Cut a hole in the bow and slap some rails and some vinyl in there. I've seen it done by people and dealers that couldn't sell a closed bow.