Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle Lock Doesn't Stop Boat From Going in Gear

I fixed it like this:

1) undo the allen set screw on the bottom of the lever

2) I pushed the pin out using a drill bit. it only seemed to want to go out one way

3) pull cam, rod, and spring out of the channel

4) take cam and spring off of rod

5) clean channel (and all parts)

6) i replaced spring with new spring "servalite # 144U"

7) cam was a bit worn, so i turned it over. to make this work, i used a dremel to make a notch for end of rod. if you look at it, you will see how one side has notch; the other doesn't. I just made it so both sides had the notch for the rod end. be carefull not to go all the way through when making new notch.

8) put it back together in reverse order, and use some lithium grease on the cam area

works great now! disclaimer: this is just what i did- not suggesting that anyone else do this. safety first.

Edited by dawnpatrol

That sounds like a good fix. I tried to order a replacement throttle lever but the link I posted above turned out to be a false lead. If you can find one now you are very lucky.

I (and all drivers of our boat) always turn the engine off with a swimmer in the water but I have bumped the boat into gear mistakenly when reaching for the dock. It wasn't an issue but any time the prop is moving uncommanded is a potential safety issue which I would like to avoid.

• 5 months later...

This is an old post I found tonight. My lock did not work this post made it an easy fix broken spring. I will pick one up at hardware store. Thanks this site is theBalls

Mine is working either and was about to start looking for another lever, thanks for digging it up.

It took 15 minutes to fix just replaced spring

I ended up using dawnpatrol's fix with success. I found the spring at a local hardware store and cut it down to the right size. Don't bother looking at Lowes or Home Depot.

• 2 months later...

Springs are available, not sure why someone said they were discontinued... We stock and sell them.

Peter

Peter,

Do you carry the cam too?

I will be getting with you soon to get a spring, cam (if possible), and a new steering cable once I winterize the boat in the next few weeks. These should make good winter projects for me!

In my experience the can was a bigger issue than the spring but I was able to modify it. The spring wasn't anything special but might be difficult to find if you don't have access to a good local hardware store.

• 1 year later...