Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater LED's

arrydjay

Yeah, I bet the white lights would penetrate this water better but I didn't want the green tint this water would make out of the white light. Our water clears a bit in the summer so they will be better. I'm not disappointed enough to change my mind about installing them.

I'll start working on the mounting blocks tomorrow. David has inspired me to do them the "Old Fashioned Way". I may try them on some wood working tools before I go the Cad machining route, just for the enjoyment of it. :crazy:

I think the blue looks pretty cool. The white in our water did yield a green tint if I recall correctly.

What's this bit about wood working tools when there are cad resources available? What's that old saying "work smarter, not...". Tease2.gif

Forgive the ignorance here, but is there a practical reason for underwater lights in addition to the aesthetic value? I kind of want to put a pair on my Skier once I get to that point in the restoration, but I don't exactly know why and I'm not much for random accessories, especially ones as expensive as those lights. Is there something I'm missing, or do they just look good?

So the question is are the Shadow Casters really that much better then the 9 LED OEM from Malibu if the water is somewhat murky. I understand that you will get double the Lumens versus the OEM

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Thanks for testing them Ronnie :thumbup:

A practical reason to have them would be wakesurfing at night.....cant wait to do that! My Shadowcasters are on the way... Ill get some more pics once I have them all installed.

Here's a couple really poor pics from my cell phone one night from the dock when i was headed up to get the truck at sunset. It is not near fully dark yet, but you get the idea. I think the Malibu lights were pretty bright. Probably not near what the Shadow Casters are, but they did good on the Skier.

post-7666-024825300 1295583774_thumb.jpg

post-7666-066187100 1295583781_thumb.jpg

post-7666-098793500 1295583789_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple really poor pics from my cell phone one night from the dock when i was headed up to get the truck at sunset. It is not near fully dark yet, but you get the idea. I think the Malibu lights were pretty bright. Probably not near what the Shadow Casters are, but they did good on the Skier.

Where those the 6 LED or 9 LED OEM?

Where those the 6 LED or 9 LED OEM?

They are 9 LED OEM's. They are certainly bright. I would turn them on to back up the driveway. They were just like having a set of headlights on the back of the boat. Awesome for backing up the driveway since we come home after dark most days. Thumbup.gif

post-7666-030643900 1295626197_thumb.jpg

post-7666-052351900 1295626284_thumb.jpg

Made the mounting spacers for the Shadow Casters today. Couple of hours in the garage. The King Starboard was really easy to work with normal wood working tools. Bandsaw, Spindle sander and router table. Now I need to take the boat out of the lake and install.

post-5-092229300 1295742877_thumb.jpg

Yeah, KingStarboard is like butter to woodworking tools. But its still a skillfull job to gauge, mark and contour those spacers to compound radiuses. And it does take some time.

Excellent job Ronnie.

Made the mounting spacers for the Shadow Casters today. Couple of hours in the garage. The King Starboard was really easy to work with normal wood working tools. Bandsaw, Spindle sander and router table. Now I need to take the boat out of the lake and install.

You've got skills Ronnie :thumbup: .

Looks like it turned out great Ronnie. Looking forward to the lake pics! Rockon.gif

A practical reason to have them would be wakesurfing at night.....cant wait to do that! My Shadowcasters are on the way... Ill get some more pics once I have them all installed.

We surf a lot at night. You are better off with something like these

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1789

With that said, the Shadow Casters are nice and make a surf wake look really cool.

sucks ay! someone will probably come up with something when malibu releases a new tower.....

On another note, my shadowcasters and interior LED's arrived the other day so Im going to start installing them.

I was wondering what the best way to wire them up would be?

The extra interior LED's I was just gonna splice into the existing interior LED's, but im not sure what to do with the shadowcasters yet.

Should I try and get them to work with the spare MUX switch, or should I just add a switch somewhere and use that?

If I was to add a switch, do I need to add fuses or relays or anything?

Edited by arrydjay

Arrydjay,

If you use the factory MUX switch then you absolutely must use a 30 amp horn relay (Bosch, Tyco, etc). You can always depend on a relay for one-third of its intermittent rating when used on a continuous basis such as for DC lighting.

If you add a switch then a standard marine 15 amp switch will be perfect. A relay is not needed.

Whether you use a switch or use a relay then definitely fuse the supply as close to the helm buss or breaker/fuse panel as possible. A 5 to 10 amp fuse will protect the boat in case of an accident or product failure. You want to be only slightly above the draw of your fixtures.

Because of the distance, use 14-gauge wire.

If you want, you can shorten the supply distance by placing the relay close to the transom and remotely trigger it via the same switching choices.

If you have any trouble with relay schemes then PM us and we will email a schematic or anything else you need.

David

Earmark Marine

Thanks David,

I think now I am going to go with a switch as I am going to need more of them eventually for other things anyway.

Where would be the best place to source 12v power from? could I go straight to the battery or is there a better place?

im waiting for someone to come out with some HID tower lights for the G3....atm there is nothing I know of...

Just for reference, here is night surfing vid with the HID tower lights and the 6 LED red Shadow Casters.