Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A little Canadian reality

Kiwionsnow

I've bought from you in the past and will buy again.....anything to simplify the process is gold in my book. For myself though I buy a few hunfred dollars of stuff so the couple extra steps for USPS does not sway me from making the purchase...

I also sent a message to everybody at Bake's to remind customers (even if the customer doesn't ask) to make mention that there is the USPS option to avoid getting stuck with the brokerage fees. In some cases there isn't a option because of size/ weight but we will do our best to take care of our International customers as best as we can.

Paul

this is exactly what happened to me, your guys optioned me re USPS worked out the math and saved me some $$ on the shipping etc

so thanks!!!!!

I actually contacted both UPS and Fed-Ex (I will give them a try again) reps yesterday after my last post.

Paul,

Let me know what comes about with company X. I might know someone.

Hey Paul. Thanx for your attention to this post. I think you have great products and great service. My wish list is far longer than what I have ordered so far. Being in the business I am in I can't help but think that UPS/ fed ex has a area rep that values your business and would be happy to sit down with you and come up with a flat rate or a guaranteed rate system and or broker fee (or no broker fee) that you could state on the web site. I would look for some more input from the members on what you could take to the shippers. Like 5% added to Canadian orders and no Broker fees. That way if you have an agreement in place and you have some rules of play if they back billl our account or other overhead costs you need to manage. As you and I can see many Canadian owners look, drool, and wish on your site but are afraid of the unknown once they they push the buy button. You have a huge market opportunity up here. If you can work on a business plan with a shipping company good things will come. Heck if was you I could see it as your number 1 growth opportunity in 2011 based on our good and getting better economy as we have and will spend the money. (well, I will ). There is a big population of boats up here that you need to tap into as you have products we can not get here. ( if i can get it from my dealer I will but he is 9 hrs away) UPS and fed x want your business and getting a face to face with them will be worth it for you. If they don't then shipping is a competitive market and there are others to make a deal with. I have read your posts and understand that you are not even sure how or what they would do when you ship something out. Time for them to make it clear enough that you and state it on your web site and guarantee it. Time to take it to them an have them make some commitments to you so you can do more business with us. They can do more shipping. You sell more, I buy more, Everybody wins. Cheers.

Kiwionsnow makes a good point. Now that i think about it, I have purchased and received shipment via UPS after the salesperson guaranteed that the UPS charges they quoted included all fees (except any tax that might be due). Sorry, but can't remember who that was, it might have been for some office supplies/equipment.

Edited by Cervelo

Kiwionsnow makes a good point. Now that i think about it, I have purchased and received shipment via UPS after the salesperson guaranteed that the UPS charges they quoted included all fees (except any tax that might be due). Sorry, but can't remember who that was, it might have been for some office supplies/equipment.

From how I understand Brokerage fee's talking to the UPS and FedEx reps, it is covering the taxes, tariffs (Which I don't believe Canada has with the US because of NAFTA), and a service fee for customs to get the package into another country. All countries have it but both of them said Canada is the worst and it all stems from the Canada government and their policy's for taxing incoming freight.

USPS works out better because the United States Postal Office basically just does a hand off to the Canadian Postal Service which apparently is a lot more lax at the boarder.

You usually pay more up front for USPS but then you don't have the ridiculous brokerage fee that UPS and Fed-Ex Charges.

I spent a lot of time working on figuring out ways to make USPS work for us on the online store so since UPS and Fed-Ex can't help with brokerage fees at all USPS is our only route so Canadians can get a fair rate to get product to their door step.

I will post something up if I have any news!!

-Paul

From how I understand Brokerage fee's talking to the UPS and FedEx reps, it is covering the taxes, tariffs (Which I don't believe Canada has with the US because of NAFTA), and a service fee for customs to get the package into another country. All countries have it but both of them said Canada is the worst and it all stems from the Canada government and their policy's for taxing incoming freight.

USPS works out better because the United States Postal Office basically just does a hand off to the Canadian Postal Service which apparently is a lot more lax at the boarder.

You usually pay more up front for USPS but then you don't have the ridiculous brokerage fee that UPS and Fed-Ex Charges.

I spent a lot of time working on figuring out ways to make USPS work for us on the online store so since UPS and Fed-Ex can't help with brokerage fees at all USPS is our only route so Canadians can get a fair rate to get product to their door step.

-Paul

A subconscious slip, no doubt. :surfing:

Edited by MalibuTime

-Paul

Thanks Paul. I to have been hit with crazy shipping charges. Like the $150 duty from Fed Ex for my Evolution cover.

I think those reps are probably trying to make themselves sound more fair then they actually are. When I get a shipment from USPS I always pay tax. The only way you are getting away with out paying those fees is if the sender marked down the value of your package (which seems common). The UPS fee is probably the heavy part of the "brokerage fee" not the taxes and duties (when applicable) that they are paying for you (apparently as some sort of courtesy?) . Keep in mind I haven't shipped with UPS in several years - once was enough.

For anyone in the Okanagan I have all my stuff shipped to Bettas in oroville. They only charge $4 a package as long as you pick it up within a week.

I'm with Koop, works out fine. I've never used Bettas but I know others that have. I do second USPS as well, works just fine. I too have been dinged by UPS, total rip off artists!! Huge market up here as the prices for goods (not just boating stuff) in Canada are a rip off. Whatever a Canadian finds online in the U.S., it can be as much as double the price in Canada. Then you have to pay tax on top of that and in B.C. its 12%. Its just a matter of getting it to Canada for as cheap as possible.

I once purchased a case of Oil Filters for my Ford Diesel. I think it was around $75 for 4 filters that I would normally pay about $30 per filter here from Ford. UPS brought it to my door and charged me $78 in Brokerage fees after I paid the seller for the shipping ($12)... The box weighed about 3 lbs...

Won't do that again...

I think those reps are probably trying to make themselves sound more fair then they actually are. When I get a shipment from USPS I always pay tax. The only way you are getting away with out paying those fees is if the sender marked down the value of your package (which seems common). The UPS fee is probably the heavy part of the "brokerage fee" not the taxes and duties (when applicable) that they are paying for you (apparently as some sort of courtesy?) . Keep in mind I haven't shipped with UPS in several years - once was enough.

You have to mark the value for customs, even warranty parts (sent back to Perfect Pass) have to have a value.

The main reason to mark the value is how they determine what the package will be insured for.

-Paul