Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a ski and barefoot boat around 10k

gorski123

I know this post is pretty old, but - I just sold my boat and I (like everyone else in Michigan it seems) am looking for a new boat! If anyone has a Malibu for sale in the price range of 8k to 12.5k please let me know. I am willing to make a long distance drive if necessary. I am open to pretty much anything at this point. I would prefer an Echelon or perhaps a Sportster or Response if it fits in the budget. I would like a wedge, open bow and perfect pass but they are just wishes, not necessities (at least not for now!).

Thanks a lot guys!

Jason

Chessie Marine in Maryland has this boat for sale. 1995 Echelon

I can't speak for the boat, but I bought mine from them about a month ago and have no complaints so far.

Edited by Sunscape08

dont mean to really jump in on ur thread, but my partner talked me into buying this boat. when im thinking i need a little something different. all im going to be doing is pulling small kids until they get bigger and better, then upgrade. they say this boat is made for barefooting, but hellifino.

im wanting something a little bit bigger, maybe a open bow, and maybe a inboard motor. what is ur thoughts and would u wanna look at mine?

so maybe i can get into what i get more use out of with a 8,9, 10 year olds!

thx

2011-04-03104537-2.jpg

Hey hows it going all,

So I recently moved on a private all sports like with a ski course. Ive skied ever since I was a kid, but always trailered to the lake and back. This past summer living on the lake, I got pretty heavy into running the course with some other guys on the lake in the mornings. They all have inboard ski boats. I have an I/O, which really sux after skiing off of their boats. I have also recently gotten into footing, which is next to impossible to do of my I/O with a 4cyl.

I really want a great ski boat for the course that also has a decent wake and top speed for barefooting. Im not too concerned about anything else, it just needs to do these two things very well. I have been looking at the response and response LX, but it seems to be hard to get one of them near the 10k price point. I have also been looking and the mastercraft prostar 190s but I have no idea how they are for barefooting, anyone have any experience with them? I have also been looking at the echelons, but I dunno how they compare to the responses in terms of wake for skiing and footing. Also how do the older responses compare to the newer ones also, I know they have the mericruiser engines, what are their top speeds compared to the monsoons?

Jason

You may consider looking out of state. I was in a similar position as you a while back with a slightly higher budget and found the right deal out of state.

Good luck!

you need to pm me in about 2-months. 100% resto job going on right now but. The best slalom boat ever made (my .02 cents) tower/huge sundeck for 3-girls, 1700 lbs ballast or 1100 lbs hidden ballast, diy wedge..this boat has everything!

martinarcher

You do know your rebuild thread link is connected to a forum that requires a log in to view it right?

So you putting a wedge on a Supra. Whistling.gif I thought non-Malibu brands all "knew" the wedge doesn't work. LOL.gif

Get that link fixed. There are lots of guys on here like myself who love rebuilds and old boats. I dig the big sunpad. Rockon.gif

The best slalom boat ever made

Well then it's either an early 90's MC ProStar 190, a late 90's - early 00's CC 197 (TSC hull), or a Response CB on the original diamond hull. Any one of those could be considered "The best slalom boat ever made". Anything other than one of those three... :no:

...tower...

Has no business on a slalom boat of any sort. :no:

...huge sundeck for 3-girls,...

While I applaud the concept, slalom boats have limited seating to begin with... :Doh:

1700 lbs ballast or 1100 lbs hidden ballast,

*see comment re: tower

diy wedge...

Please, please, please....have someone video the test run of the "diy wedge" from a different boat so that when it rips the transom off of the boat we can all :lol:.

...this boat has everything!

:unsure: Ya, OK. :crazy:

:biggrin: Just teasing ya (sort of). Sounds like you're doing quite a rebuild, however, with a tower, ballast, wedge,...etc. it is not a slalom boat anymore. :no: Now it's a direct drive wakeboard boat. :yes:

I love "best ever" lists. Biggrin.gif

NorCaliBu, if that's a TSM6 Supra, he's got an argument to be included on that list--at least before he added all that weight and wakeboarding B.S. Fingerwag.gif

The 1997 Nautique is probably the best 3-event boat ever built--the slalom nod goes to the 1994 Prostar, until you hit deep shortline, then the spay will bruise your face, and it also has suspect handling, i.m.o, so maybe the nod goes to the Response CB. Unsure.gif All three are great boats.

I would also add a late 80's American Skier to the list. It had an awesome wake and handled great.

Also, check out the weights on the classic ski boats:

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

I would gladly ski behind any of the boats in that article, especially with a re-power to a modern EFI engine. The only modern boat that comes close in weight is a Carbon Pro. I'd really like to get behind one of those and check it out.

Edited by jjackkrash

martinarcher..my diy wedge idea was from seeing your diy thread on here from the original owner of your boat..right?? Or is it the other guy that has 2-mali's on here. And YES, i said my .02 cents on the best ever ski boat...and its not a wakeboarding boat UNTILL I fill it up! And yes..its the supra site..but if Im signed in on here, you can sign on there, lol. The sundeck is actually a fat sac holder/sundeck/and ice chest ALL IN ONE. I got that idea from the Mastercraft X7. My boat is GREAT for skiing, Its a porsche on water, its great for lounging or tilting drinks now with the sundeck, and Its a pretty good wakeboarding boat too...AND it fits in my garage. Dont be hatin on my rig man..Im way more dedicated than most are on the sport of wakeboarding and loving my boat. Its NEVER been in the shop and I have turned, touched, built and desined everything myself..shes a TRUE love to me and so is wakeboarding..its all I think about since 89'-90'. Jet

NorCaliBu, if that's a TSM6 Supra, he's got an argument to be included on that list--at least before he added all that weight and wakeboarding B.S. Fingerwag.gif

:no: While it's true that Supra had a very good slalom hull with the TSM6, it's not on the same plane as the other 3. :no: It just isn't.

The 1997 Nautique is probably the best 3-event boat ever built--

I ski behind a 98 CC 197 (TSC hull) with some regularity and at 34 mph 22-32 off it is as small and soft as any wake I have ever skied.

the slalom nod goes to the 1994 Prostar,

I have skied behind a 92 & a 93 (MC PS 190)...both fantastic wakes. :thumbup: I actually had the opportunity to buy the 92 at a very good price and if it wasn't under powered compared to what I'm used to I would have. I'm not a fan of the 265hp Mercruisers. My understanding was that MC made the hull change in 94...??? Was it in 95? Because it is common opinion that when they changed from the early 90's hull the wake suffered a serious degradation.

I would gladly ski behind any of the boats in that article, especially with a re-power to a modern EFI engine.

An early 90's MC PS 190 with a monsoon would make me a MasterCraft owner. :yes:

Of course, if I ever find a screaming deal on a TSC hulled CC 197 or a CB Response, then I wouldn't have to deal with the whole repower issue... :biggrin:

Edited by NorCaliBu

The 1997 Nautique is probably the best 3-event boat ever built--the slalom nod goes to the 1994 Prostar, until you hit deep shortline, then the spay will bruise your face, and it also has suspect handling, i.m.o, so maybe the nod goes to the Response CB. Unsure.gif All three are great boats.

I would also add a late 80's American Skier to the list. It had an awesome wake and handled great.

Also, check out the weights on the classic ski boats:

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

I would gladly ski behind any of the boats in that article, especially with a re-power to a modern EFI engine. The only modern boat that comes close in weight is a Carbon Pro. I'd really like to get behind one of those and check it out.

The late 80's American Skier was great...but you had better bear down behind the boat.

Edited by eyepeeler

Off topic but im trying to figure out how you are putting 1700 lbs in a TS6M? Those boats have no freeboard. Ive seen them with 5 and 600 and they have about 5 inches between the water and the top of the transom. Unless your boat is a sunsport or pirata or saltare maybe?

I looked at a few and i still like their style but i decided against them because of the lack of freeboard..

dont mean to really jump in on ur thread, but my partner talked me into buying this boat. when im thinking i need a little something different. all im going to be doing is pulling small kids until they get bigger and better, then upgrade. they say this boat is made for barefooting, but hellifino.

im wanting something a little bit bigger, maybe a open bow, and maybe a inboard motor. what is ur thoughts and would u wanna look at mine?

so maybe i can get into what i get more use out of with a 8,9, 10 year olds!

thx

gorski123, I would buy this boat if you really want a nice barefoot boat.

Wow, the amount of quality replies I get on this fourm always amazes me!

Badger - Its so funny you mention the sportster at Skiers pier. I have been in contact with the guys there for a few weeks now and really had my eye on that sportster, however it already had an offer on it by the time I was serious. It really is one sweet boat for the money. They also have an older echelon and a tantrum for sale, both in my range, I am planing to test drive them this weekend.

Kneedrager - That flightcraft looks sweet but I really want an inboard.

I would kill to find an 98 echelon for 12k, that would be perfect. I like the sportsters but its easy to get hung up on the extra frills the echelon has to offer. I guess time will tell....

One thing I have heard from a few people regarding the big three was Malibu seemed to have the worst windshield design in regards to shielding you from the wind during take-off. I don't know whether this is true or not, but I have heard it more than once now.

Wow, the amount of quality replies I get on this fourm always amazes me!

Badger - Its so funny you mention the sportster at Skiers pier. I have been in contact with the guys there for a few weeks now and really had my eye on that sportster, however it already had an offer on it by the time I was serious. It really is one sweet boat for the money. They also have an older echelon and a tantrum for sale, both in my range, I am planing to test drive them this weekend.

Kneedrager - That flightcraft looks sweet but I really want an inboard.

I would kill to find an 98 echelon for 12k, that would be perfect. I like the sportsters but its easy to get hung up on the extra frills the echelon has to offer. I guess time will tell....

One thing I have heard from a few people regarding the big three was Malibu seemed to have the worst windshield design in regards to shielding you from the wind during take-off. I don't know whether this is true or not, but I have heard it more than once now.

Malibu has the best looking windshield but at the same time wind hits you in the head all of the time. Good looking but a pain...like a bad wife.

Malibu has the best looking windshield but at the same time wind hits you in the head all of the time. Good looking but a pain...like a bad wife.

I have 1996 Moomba Boomerang with 128 hours. I am in Western North Carolina (Lake James), Boat is beautiful. Includes proffesionally installed stereo ($2600.00), big air tower, dual batteries with switch, trailer with new tires and cover, If you would like more details let me know. Great boat...I just want more room. Currently not listed. Will take 9500.

Check out the Lubbock Texas Craigslist. There is a 98 Response for $10000. I looked at the boat yesterday and it a pretty good deal and a nice guy selling it. One bad spot in the carpet other than that its pretty nice. Only 240 hrs on it also. The boat is located in Lovington New Mexico. Good luck.

Nope..Its a comp See the lil picture. Im puttin 1700 lbs in because she can take it! lol. I use 1000lbs hidden just for fun but if my buddies come I pack her up!

All I can say is, hold out till you find the one you want. Don't settle. You'll know when the deal is right. It's hard to walk away sometimes, and you do wonder if you did or didn't do the right thing. And I think if you question it, then you were right turning it down.

Good luck,

Steve B.

Still looking...

Went to see this yesterday:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/2323831156.html

The pictures made it look pretty good, but seeing it person told a whole different story. It was in pretty bad shape...

Also stopped by skierspier today on my way home from work. Looks like they have two echelons now, one open bow and one closed, both early to mid 90s.

So far all the older Echelons I have seen have the two tone hull with the blueish-green top and white bottom, and they really do not look good after 15+ years in the sun. The colors seem to fade pretty bad. I am hoping to find a newer echelon or sportster to go look at but so far no such luck.

I emailed the guy with the response in TX, no response as of yet....

Jason

Nope..Its a comp See the lil picture. Im puttin 1700 lbs in because she can take it! lol. I use 1000lbs hidden just for fun but if my buddies come I pack her up!

I thought the comp and ts6m were the same boat. I may be wrong, I was just curious bro. Those old big body supras throw a great week, pirata, saltare, sunsport were all awesome!!

Here is a '95 Echelon with the big motor...500hrs, this is where I bought my boat from, I would be fairly certain that price is not firm... they ship boats regularly...

I am not sure where you are located, this is in northern MD, good folks, straight shooters...you'd want to ask for Andy.

1995 Malibu Echelon