Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter projects?

Bill_AirJunky

Winter Projects:

Find a new house.

New tires for the Jeep.

Sell the Honda, buy a Dodge 2500 cummins

Fix the Bu's interior and get the shine back...

Rear seat:

P1000006.jpg

Side Panel:

P1000007.jpg

Drivers seat ROT:

P1000008.jpg

Bring back the shine:

P1000010.jpg

P1000012.jpg

Maybe to much. guess we'll see when spring hits!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• Levi900RR

• old skool malibu

• Ndawg12

My project now is refinishing the swim platform. Almost fully sanded now. I'll post pics soon.

My objective, with a little help from you guy's is this:

I'm thinking of having the "Malibu" text shown on the platform by way of using a decal to do the postivie/negative thing. My thoughts are mask the platform leaving only "Malibu" to be teak oiled as normal. Only in the text portion though. About 5" high, 30 inches long, centered on the middle platform's board. Maybe 3 or 4 coats.

Then, remove the masking, and then using the "Malibu" decal cover up what I just oiled, leaving the rest of the platform to stain, all but the text. That stain I'm planning on making it very red, to match the stripe on the boat.

Or possibly vice/versa. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Steve B

(I'd post pics, but it wants a url, and wont let me past a jpeg?)

already started my winter projects:

completed:

new heater system

raised drivers seat 2 inches

stripping under rear lockers

polished out few minor gel coat scratchs

under development almost done:

plumb in 750's in rear

bike rack system to hold 4 mountain bikes (2 off each side of the bow).......

hopefully will get to:

two more racks

replace two malibu pitted logos

tower speakers (daughters want baddly, mom not so much, so unlikely this year)

My project now is refinishing the swim platform. Almost fully sanded now. I'll post pics soon.

I'm thinking of having the "Malibu" text shown on the platform by way of using a decal to do the postivie/negative thing. My thoughts are mask the platform leaving only "Malibu" to be teak oiled as normal. Only in the text portion though. About 5" high, 30 inches long, centered on the middle platform's board. Maybe 3 or 4 coats.

Then, remove the masking, and then using the "Malibu" decal cover up what I just oiled, leaving the rest of the platform to stain, all but the text. That stain I'm planning on making it very red, to match the stripe on the boat.

Steve B

Sounds cool. Be sure to post up some pics. To post pics, upload them to something like Photobucket and post using the URL from photobucket. If they are under 150K you can simply upload them using the "choose file" and "attach this file" buttons.

Edited by martinarcher

Steve B

I think you should pick up a piece of teak and test it. I would be a bit worrie that the red stain will run into the letters under the masking, in the grain of the wood. Instead of having a nice clean Malibu you could end up with fuzzy edges. Plus, the red might be a maintenance nightmare. I would maybe try to get Malibu carved into the wood

As a Supporter you can post pic's directly into your posts. Don't use the "insert image" icon above. Use the "Attachments" function below the text box in the Reply screen. Click the "Browse..." button to find the file on your computer. Once you find it, just click the "Attach This File" Button. That will put the image in a cue, ready to be inserted in your post where you see fit. Click the "Add To Post" button and you're good to go.

Winterized, boat and trailer waxed with collinites, cover washed and treated with 303, going into hibernation, see yuh in a few months :cry:

Wait....did you say....no couldn't be....uh yes you did.....Wax your trailer? Man you DO have to much time. :Tease3: I had a hard time believing the stripping and polishing tower/ DIY swimstep.

Wait....did you say....no couldn't be....uh yes you did.....Wax your trailer? Man you DO have to much time. :Tease3: I had a hard time believing the stripping and polishing tower/ DIY swimstep.

I am an official trailer waxer too. Never did that in the past, but after rebunking and repainting it, I want that shine to last!

Ha! That was the first time I've ever waxed the trailer. I know I'm not the only one. I got a can of Collinites based on rave reviews from here so I decided to hit the trailer as well. But trust me, I didn't crawl underneath and hit every side of the cross beams, just the perimeter that you can see from 10' away or so, it probably added 20 minutes to the total wax job.

Ha! That was the first time I've ever waxed the trailer. I know I'm not the only one. I got a can of Collinites based on rave reviews from here so I decided to hit the trailer as well. But trust me, I didn't crawl underneath and hit every side of the cross beams, just the perimeter that you can see from 10' away or so, it probably added 20 minutes to the total wax job.

I crawl under mine and get it all! Done same time as the hull bottom.

I crawl under mine and get it all! Done same time as the hull bottom.

Same here. Every inch gets a coat of Collinites. Rockon.gif

I also spray the entire thing with WD40 before it goes underground for extra protection.

Just got off the phone with one of the guys from Menace Watersports (formerly Titan), talking to him about how to best design & build an above-the-tower bimini for the Titan II. He gave me some tips on design issues they ran up against back when they went thru this process. And we both thought that a good way for me to do this might be to purchase from them all the little aluminum & stainless parts connecting the bimini & tower, then custom bend my own tubes & the Sunbrella cover. This gives it a factory look...... kinda..... but not really since they never made this bimini for a Titan II. But since I'm only building one, I shouldn't have any of the issues they had fitting a variety of sized boats.

So the only boat with an above-the-tower bimini I have seen is a friend's boat in Seattle. And his boat is put away for the year already. If someone else has one, I'd be interested in talking with them a bit about the hardware on it. If you have a few minutes, give me a PM or email.

Thanks! :rockon:

Thanks. That 2nd pic definitely helps. Since the Titan II doesn't go back as far as the III, I'm going to have an additional bow that extends back about a foot. The front should be very similar though.

I've been a little busy, here's the polished T3 and the polished windshield top cap:

Looks good! What was your process for polishing the windshield cap? Was it a colossal pain? I have wanted to do something to mine for a while.

I hate the way the powder coating gets scratched up....looks like poop!

Looks good! What was your process for polishing the windshield cap? Was it a colossal pain? I have wanted to do something to mine for a while.

I hate the way the powder coating gets scratched up....looks like poop!

Very carefully with a mouse sander and 120 sandpaper, then wetsand by hand 320, 800, 0000 steel wool. It's not a mirror finish but I like the way it looks. Took me probably 2 hours.

Edited by Ndawg12

Very carefully with a mouse sander and 120 sandpaper, then wetsand by hand 320, 800, 0000 steel wool. It's not a mirror finish but I like the way it looks. Took me probably 2 hours.

It definitely looks good. Nice job. I'm going to have to look at doing that too, it's either that or repainting.

It definitely looks good. Nice job. I'm going to have to look at doing that too, it's either that or repainting.

I got tired of carrying around gloss black nail polish for touch-ups to the tower and windshield :crazy: You guys should definitely do it!!

• 2 months later...

Just got off the phone with one of the guys from Menace Watersports (formerly Titan), talking to him about how to best design & build an above-the-tower bimini for the Titan II. He gave me some tips on design issues they ran up against back when they went thru this process. And we both thought that a good way for me to do this might be to purchase from them all the little aluminum & stainless parts connecting the bimini & tower, then custom bend my own tubes & the Sunbrella cover. This gives it a factory look...... kinda..... but not really since they never made this bimini for a Titan II. But since I'm only building one, I shouldn't have any of the issues they had fitting a variety of sized boats.

So the only boat with an above-the-tower bimini I have seen is a friend's boat in Seattle. And his boat is put away for the year already. If someone else has one, I'd be interested in talking with them a bit about the hardware on it. If you have a few minutes, give me a PM or email.

Thanks! :rockon:

Hoping to pull the trigger on this one soon. I talked to Luke a couple times, who is helping me come up with the clamps & stainless hardware. I'll get the stainless tubing locally & get it cut & bent myself. Then have a local shop do the Sunbrella.

But here is the plan for the moment. :yahoo:

biminiplan.jpg