Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Retrofit Hot Water Shower

Chaabo

I was thinking of retrofitting a hot water shower to our Response, but what do I need for this project? I've never seen a shower installation so little knowledge here. Innocent.gif

Our boat is equipped with the 3-outlet heater and has no closed cooling.

I guess I will need a pump, some hose, the shower itself, some kind of hot & cold valves (armatures?), but what else? Where to route the hose, where to install the armatures and where to pick up cold & hot water?

Any pictures and tips are highly appreciated!

Thanks,

I did this last year and it's a pretty easy project. Heatercraft makes a shower kit that contains all you'll need. The two questions you'll need to answer before ordering are:

- do you want surface-mounted controls? The alternative is a self contained box that has tabs with the screw holes for mounting. Surface mount looks cooler but you'll have to cut a hole in something (I put ours on the vertical carpeted panel in our trunk).

- how far will the shower pump/controls be from the engine? This determines the length of hot and cold hoses. I mounted the pump in the trunk behind that panel.

The heatercraft kit includes installation instructions. It took me about 3 hours to do the install. I went slow and laid everything out ahead of time to make sure of clearances and the like.

The project is well worth it: we love our shower! It's great for warming up after the water gets cold...

• 2 months later...

Hi there! :)

I have most of the parts together to begin the job now.

BUT - Can anybody tell me where to pick up hot water from the engine when retrofitting a shower?

I read through several dicussions (& the how-to article on WSR as well) but I don't like the idea of pulling one of the drain plugs to mount the hot water hose. It has a very small diameter (1/4 Inch IIRC) compared to the water hoses I bought (1/2 Inch). And I couldn't get a 1/4 fitting.

Where is the factory location for the hot water pick-up on the engine?

Mine has the 3-outlet heater and the "feeding hose" is attached on top of the thermostat housing.

Thanks!

Hi there! :)

I have most of the parts together to begin the job now.

BUT - Can anybody tell me where to pick up hot water from the engine when retrofitting a shower?

I read through several dicussions (& the how-to article on WSR as well) but I don't like the idea of pulling one of the drain plugs to mount the hot water hose. It has a very small diameter (1/4 Inch IIRC) compared to the water hoses I bought (1/2 Inch). And I couldn't get a 1/4 fitting.

Where is the factory location for the hot water pick-up on the engine?

Mine has the 3-outlet heater and the "feeding hose" is attached on top of the thermostat housing.

Thanks!

Factory pulls the hot water off the block drain and the cold water from a tee right after the raw pump. Factory lines I think are 3/8".