Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

***Before you change your fuel pump READ this**

Hey @kylegansel - I have a 2002 Response LX with almost the same exact symptoms this year.  I’ve been thinking  gas related also.  All I have access to up in Mass is corn gas and if I switch stores I get different performance results (some better, some worse..) With this COVID situation, I did confirm the switch to making summer gas was later along with a larger stockpile of winter gas which is possibly making things worse for us older boat owners.

Checking in - any improvements since you went to pure gas??

Edited by Gary Pelletier

I need your input. I’m looking at purchasing a 1995 Malibu Response. 240 hrs, looks good. Is there anything I should be looking for that may be a potential problem. I’m not sure if it’s a carburetor or EFI. Thank you for any input.

• 2 weeks later...

My epic Moomba Issue is Resolved
I sent my injectors out to be tested. 4 of them were stuck closed. They said it was prob due to winter storage without running the gas out of the lines/injectors (thought I did)... then injectors got gummed up.  Anyway, they cleaned/un-stuck the 4 injectors and it ran great.  Full Power!  Thanks again to everyone who contributed to my trouble shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

@LakeLivingThat's great to hear!! Sorry, haven't jumped on here in a bit.  My boat has fired up each time ever since I started using Rec 90 Ethanol free gas.  The only other thing bugging me now is I'm getting some heavier exhaust stains in the back.  I always have from time to time but it's been light.  Any idea what that could be attributed too?

On 7/30/2020 at 8:50 PM, kylegansel said:

@LakeLivingThat's great to hear!! Sorry, haven't jumped on here in a bit.  My boat has fired up each time ever since I started using Rec 90 Ethanol free gas.  The only other thing bugging me now is I'm getting some heavier exhaust stains in the back.  I always have from time to time but it's been light.  Any idea what that could be attributed too?

Dinosaur bones.  You need a 185 thermostat to burn them completely.  That, or maybe it's from extended idling. 

Does your engine have cats? 

• 3 weeks later...

First, I want to thank all of you for your posts.

i have a 2007 Malibu V-Ride Inmar 320 LCR EFI, that we bought new and have had minimal problems with.  We only have 240 hours on the engine that I was having maintained by the local dealer in Henderson, NV.

our problems started about 2 months ago when we noticed less power than normal and difficulty maintaining consistent speed.  We even had an issue about 3 weeks ago where we could not start the boat.  I spoke with our local mechanic and he thought we might be losing our fuel pump, but our issues were not consistent.  Things went from bad to much worse yesterday while trying to pull my boys on the tube, with significant back firing and minimal power.  We could isle at slower speeds but couldn’t go more than 12 mph.  My boys still enjoyed some wake surfing but even that became difficult.  I called around and all the local shops are booked out with repairs until mid October.  Our local dealer is no longer a Malibu dealer, so we were forced to look elsewhere, but they too are taking appointments in late October.  
I decided to tackle the fuel pump today, as I have 4 days of vacation next weekend and we were planning on spending many hours wake surfing.  I really enjoyed reading this forum, and particularly this thread.  I have taken numerous photos and will post these as well.  
I found out that most of these boats are different when it comes to fuel pumps and parts.  I could not find any filters to clean, and instead had to trace the pressurized fuel injection rails and fuel lobe.  After not finding any noticeable leaks, I went to the local O’Reilys Auto parts store and rented a fuel pressure gauge (actually is free to rent with a $160 deposit).  
I found we only had 10 psi of fuel pressure with ignition on, and bounced up to 20 after trying to turn the fuel pump on with multiple priming attempts.  The desired pressure is 60 psi for my engine.

• 1 year later...