Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

***Before you change your fuel pump READ this**

On 7/1/2016 at 11:15 AM, jdeltoro said:

In case there are people like me wondering wtf this filter looks like.

Before cleaning you can see all the crap that misses the in line fuel filter and gets into the screen I could not believe it.

C2E7DF64-F3A5-4890-A8BB-40411C941139_zps

CC817ECB-B60D-41B4-974F-E325B603B2A0_zps

After

983D68DB-E3C3-4C9F-B2A9-41E363D9E605_zps

I plan on taking the boat out tomorrow so well see if that cured the bogging issue at 30+mph

Very nice!  How the heck did you get that screen out of the pump?

I would also like to thank the Crew for helping out once again. I took my 04 RLXI (Monsoon) out yesterday and the engine hesitated bad when I floored it from an idle. Therefore, I did a Google search and came across this article. So I replaced the fuel filter, squirted some carb cleaner up the fuel pump and put in some premium gas. 

Problem solved! Thank you. 

• Like 3

FYI, I dont have a shut off valve. I just threw an old dirty rag on the bottom of the enginebay to catch any spillage. Not much came out maybe like a thimble worth of gasoline? The hose was stiff enough to stay upright where the gas didn't flow out (fyi I had a full tank). It was easier to get to the pump with removing the starboard engine wall, I had a buddy put his finger on the hose just in case, Im sure you could just plug it up just as easy I didn't have anything handy to do that. I got the screen out by carefully pulling it out with a mini hook/handle tool I bought from harbor freight a while back.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2004 Moomba Outback LS with a 5.7L Indmar motor. I have done the fuel pump filter cleaning and now my boat won’t start. I have checked the valve on the fuel rails and there doesn’t seem to be any pressure after trying to start the engine. Do I need to prime the fuel pump?

Edited by ZMan74
1 hour ago, ZMan74 said:

I have a 2004 Moomba Outback LS with a 5.7L Indmar motor. I have done the fuel pump filter cleaning and now my boat won’t start. I have checked the valve on the fuel rails and there doesn’t seem to be any pressure after trying to start the engine. Do I need to prime the fuel pump?

No, you shouldn't have to prime it. Does the pump make any noise when you turn the key to on? Did you unplug it when you cleaned it? If so, make sure you plugged it back in.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2015 Axis T22 PCM Monsoon 350.... is there a comparable fuel pump that I can get from an auto parts store to get me through the 4th holiday? 

7 hours ago, stephon777 said:

I have a 2015 Axis T22 PCM Monsoon 350.... is there a comparable fuel pump that I can get from an auto parts store to get me through the 4th holiday? 

In short - I don't know for sure if the newer boats are more sensitive to aftermarket parts.  I do know that if your fuel pump quits on an '05 Moomba in the middle of Lake Cumberland,  you can walk in to Advance Auto parts in Monticello, KY and get a pump for a '05 Chevy pick up and it will last you for a couple years.  Fact.

Good luck

7 hours ago, stephon777 said:

Planning on your boat being part of the 4th's fireworks?  Use an ignition protected marine pump.  

From what I've read marine pumps have a different vent and fail-over.  Since they combine gas and electricity, I'd go with a Marine one unless the mfg. says otherwise.  BICBW

• 9 months later...
On 5/31/2010 at 8:53 PM, sundaydrivers said:

I know this has been addressed before but just to throw it out there again. I know many people who have the symptoms of:

boat hesitates when you gun it.

boat surges and slows or has trouble accelerating over a certain speed.

sometimes misfires/backfires when having these other symptoms

Your fuel pump is whining

well I have found that in the majority of the cases I have seen the actual problem is the very small filter on the fuel intake side of the fuel pump.

Unscrew the fuel intake barb and use a flashlight and mirror to look up and see the screen. It is sometimes difficult to take this screen out so there easy fix is to spray PB Works up in there and it will eat off all the garbage that has collected and your screen will look new. Put everything back together and you will be surprised to learn your whining will be gone and the above symptoms will also dissapear.

I have a 2005 moomba outback with an indmar 5.7 mpi. I cleaned the filter and got all the gunk out of it and when I started it I didn’t get any whine from the pump. The problem still was present, it surges and looses some power at 3,000rpms and around 32mph. Any other ideas? I changed  oil, oil filter, spark plugs, and distributer cap before any of this happened.

3 minutes ago, boaterb said:

I have a 2005 moomba outback with an indmar 5.7 mpi. I cleaned the filter and got all the gunk out of it and when I started it I didn’t get any whine from the pump. The problem still was present, it surges and looses some power at 3,000rpms and around 32mph. Any other ideas? I changed  oil, oil filter, spark plugs, and distributer cap before any of this happened.

Did you change ALL the fuel filters?  It may truly be that your pump is failing.

2 hours ago, boaterb said:

If your fuel pressure is at spec, (test with fuel pressure gauge at key on, idle, and WOT)  You may need to have your fuel injectors rebuilt. Classic sign of fuel injector issues is an otherwise smooth running engine that can’t get past 3000 rpms or low 30s mph. It’s like it just can’t do any better. It could be an ignition control module going bad, when the ICM is failing it gets really hot and at some point the engine won’t run  until it cools down, and it won’t run at all after the ICM gives up completely.

Edited by Bozboat

i have a 2001 Malibu Response and after sitting for 2 years the fuel pump does not work. I have no current to the pump and I have checked the fuses which are good. No juice down to the pump. Is there something I am missing ? Gray  wire going up to the throttle body had no continuity but i found the open link and bridged it. Which wire on the fuel pump is positive? The black with white stripe or the gray?   

10 minutes ago, Flyandboat said:

i have a 2001 Malibu Response and after sitting for 2 years the fuel pump does not work. I have no current to the pump and I have checked the fuses which are good. No juice down to the pump. Is there something I am missing ? Gray  wire going up to the throttle body had no continuity but i found the open link and bridged it. Which wire on the fuel pump is positive? The black with white stripe or the gray?   

Did you check the safety lanyard?  You probably won't get pump voltage until that switch is closed.

Black with white stripe is probably ground.

Definitely check the safety lanyard. The description of this product at Bakes' website explains why.

"Sierra lanyard for the emergency cut-off safety switch. Commonly found on the Early '90s to mid-2000's Malibu Boats and other watercraft. Over time the clip can fatigue and not hold the button down tight enough to close the switch."

sie_mp40990.jpg

1 hour ago, Flyandboat said:

Thank you maybe that is it. I will try in the morning. Lanyard switch seems loose. 

You can just jumper the two wires together behind the switch.  I'm guessing you never actually *use* the lanyard.

25 minutes ago, justgary said:

I'm guessing you never actually *use* the lanyard.

Unless you drive sitting on the gunwale, you likely do not need it.   BICBW

MalibuNation

Do your gauges work?  Usually that means your lanyard is working.  On my 2003 sometimes my fuel pump would spin up and other times it wouldn't.  Chased that for awhile and ended up replacing all 3 five prong Standard relays.  Actually only one is used for the fuel pump and I said the heck with it and replaced all 3 since they are inexpensive.  This way I have spares to test with.  So far so good.

Here is a good read:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B59E9tm-Pit7bU5ROUU5MERNVjg/view

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, Bozboat said:

If your fuel pressure is at spec, (test with fuel pressure gauge at key on, idle, and WOT)  You may need to have your fuel injectors rebuilt. Classic sign of fuel injector issues is an otherwise smooth running engine that can’t get past 3000 rpms or low 30s mph. It’s like it just can’t do any better. It could be an ignition control module going bad, when the ICM is failing it gets really hot and at some point the engine won’t run  until it cools down, and it won’t run at all after the ICM gives up completely.

@Bozboat  We just tested the fuel pressure on BoaterB's 2005 Moomba.  This Indmar 5.7 calls for 50lbs.  Our gauge shot to 85lbs at key on.  Stayed at 85lbs at idle too.  When I turned the engine off it dropped to 45lbs immediately and within a minute it was down to 20lbs.  Is it possible my fuel pump is pushing too much pressure?... or something else wrong?

Currently the boat idles fine. I can rev to 6k RPM in neutral and it's smooth.  When I engage the prop it bogs immediately.  Won't go over 1,200rpm.  

Already replaced: fuel pump plugs, distributor cap/coil/sensors, TPS, MAP sensor, air intake sensor.  Now What?

5 minutes ago, LakeLiving said:

@Bozboat  We just tested the fuel pressure on BoaterB's 2005 Moomba.  This Indmar 5.7 calls for 50lbs.  Our gauge shot to 85lbs at key on.  Stayed at 85lbs at idle too.  When I turned the engine off it dropped to 45lbs immediately and within a minute it was down to 20lbs.  Is it possible my fuel pump is pushing too much pressure?... or something else wrong?

Currently the boat idles fine. I can rev to 6k RPM in neutral and it's smooth.  When I engage the prop it bogs immediately.  Won't go over 1,200rpm.  

Already replaced: fuel pump plugs, distributor cap/coil/sensors, TPS, MAP sensor, air intake sensor.  Now What?

My understanding (from Paul at Bakes) is that high fuel pressure indicates a bad fuel pressure regulator and that the fuel pump will create more pressure than is needed and the fuel pressure regulator bleeds off the amount that is too much. 

If your engine needs 50 psi and have 85 psi you are likely flooding it with fuel.

• Like 2

Thanks @Bozboat and @justgary

Does it make sense that I can rev to 6k RPM in Neutral but not in gear?

Also, what's with the pressure dropping so quickly? Could that also be due to bad fuel pressure regulator?

I'll get after a new regulator.  Mechanics are all buys for the next 3+ weeks.  We only get a few months of nice weather in Boston so I'll just replace it and hope it works.

Edited by LakeLiving
1 hour ago, LakeLiving said:

Does it make sense that I can rev to 6k RPM in Neutral but not in gear?

No load vs load.  Also happens to folks with a clogged fuel filter.