Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 23 LSV scratch build r/c boat

xx29l9

so awesome.  Are you wiring it with 1/12th the wire gauge Malibu uses?  Imagine hiding all the wires is challenging.  What are you using to drive the rudder?

Wow!  Beautiful.  I used to build scale model airplanes so I have some appreciation for what you have accomplished. Can't wait to see it on the water.  Do the speakers really work?

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

so awesome.  Are you wiring it with 1/12th the wire gauge Malibu uses?  Imagine hiding all the wires is challenging.  What are you using to drive the rudder?

I may have OCD....but I'm just using whatever wire thickness will support the load and is flexible enough to route around. Hiding all the wires is/will be a big challenge. The rudder will be controlled by a small HiTec servo, mounted to the wall in the stern. Not much space to mount all this stuff I'm putting in here so some creativity is needed. Hopefully it all works in the end.

17 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Wow!  Beautiful.  I used to build scale model airplanes so I have some appreciation for what you have accomplished. Can't wait to see it on the water.  Do the speakers really work?

Do the speakers work? Of course they do! I only have the 4 tower speakers working right now, eventually the model will have 12 speakers hooked up. Don't tell anyone but I'm taking some modeling license here and using a 2nd "subwoofer" to make the speaker wiring easier. The 1:1 boat only has 1 subwoofer. 

Video of the 4 tower speakers-   

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

IT FLOATS!!! So I've been slowly making progress on the model, I actually have the driveline in and working really nice. The other day I put it in the Indoor Floatation and Boyancy Test Tank and it floated and did not take on any water, what a relief. While in the test facility I ran motor up to about half throttle and wow....talk about pushing some water. This thing is going to move! So I'm all ready for a test in a bigger body of water like Tualatin commons, but the weather forecast is garbage for the next 10 days or so. Link to latest build post below-

Bob

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1210959-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-scratch-build/page26

• Like 2

I've been following this build from the start and it is incredible.  As someone else who enjoys building RC planes and cars I can totally relate to the stress releif/fun it provides.  Some people don't understand a long build but it's not just about the final product, it;s about the build itself!  That's the fun of it. :)   Excellent work, I really appreciate the attention to detail.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

That's awesome! I've built several RC aircraft and a couple kit boats but nothing close to the scale realism of your scratch LSV - but I know what's involved.

How long is it? Weight?

When are you going to put operable surf gates on it :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

That's awesome! I've built several RC aircraft and a couple kit boats but nothing close to the scale realism of your scratch LSV - but I know what's involved.

How long is it? Weight?

When are you going to put operable surf gates on it :thumbup:

It's 1:12 scale, so 23" long and weighs about 5.5 - 6 lbs I'm guessing with batteries and everything. Model can't have surf gates on it till the 1:1 does.....

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Ok, been awhile for an update. Actually been spending a fair amount of time working on the model. The drive train is all set in and ready to go. Been working on the interior which is a slooooooow process but I'm happy how things are turning out. The link below will take you to the latest page that shows the rear seat back and engine cover and a little bit of the backs for the side seats. You can go to previous pages to get a better look at these parts. Now what about that water test....it will happen soon. The weather and timing around here has just not worked out for me, but I will be posting a video as soon as I get out there and see what happens on the first try in some real water.

Later,

Bob

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1210959-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-scratch-build/page31

• Like 2

I have been following this build for quite a while and I continue to be amazed at the attention to detail and the amount of thinking & work that must go into every piece.  Awesome job, you should be very proud of your work!  

• 5 months later...

That is absolutely amazing!  I don't know how you have the patience for that. The level of detail you have built into that is just astounding.

Edited by JeffK