Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with scratches.

I doubt your cover or covering materials rubbed through the gel coat unless you covered the boat with aluminium siding or bricks or used heavy chains to secure your cover. You can try to wet sand it out and buff with compound. If you can see bare fiberglass you need gel coat. Oh, BTW it is not easy to get good results w/o a professional grade buffer but if you do a search on the subject you can figure it out. Finally take your time, do it right so you only have to do it once.

:biggrin: ............I thought I heard something......:unsure:

To the OP if he's still even following this, I actually somewhat agree with 85 on this, get us some pics and we can maybe guide you through the process, and then you can figure out for yourself if it's worth the hassle. I would suggest wetsanding lightly in 1 small spot with 320 grit then 1000 then 1500 or 2000, buff with a polishing compound, and apply a marine paste wax. If it still doesn't meet your standards then take it to a pro and you're not out much time or money.

Others may disagree or have other suggestions but I'm ok with that ;)

Without seeing pics, I'm leaning toward this. Please post pics. I recently had a professional get a nasty, deep scratch out. I watched him. He used a piece of a paint stirring stick to wetsand, 400, 600, then 2500. Then hit it with an auto compound polish with the buffer that really made it shine ( I can't remember the name right now). I mention the compound polish b/c it seemed to work better than my usual 3m Compound, Finesse It II approach.

OP, try to post pics. You might be able to get away with only using compound/polish depending on how bad it is.