Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning spark/flame arrestor

:rofl: P4 speed control!! Nice!! I guess it performs well..?? Are you just counteracting a return spring on the throttle lever.. We might need to start a new topic on this to avoid a hi-jack, I bet people will want to learn more about this!!

Can I get the P4 speed control in red to match my boat? Also, based on the report I'll assume the spring is a bit lazy. Is there anyway to calibrate or refurbrish the spring so that it doesn't seem so...well...sprung?

:rofl: P4 speed control!! Nice!! I guess it performs well..?? Are you just counteracting a return spring on the throttle lever.. We might need to start a new topic on this to avoid a hi-jack, I bet people will want to learn more about this!!

You got it. Puts a little tension on the throttle to keep it open and you don't have to adjust speed as much.

Too bad you fly-by-wire guys can't upgrade to P4. (love that name BTW)

Can I get the P4 speed control in red to match my boat? Also, based on the report I'll assume the spring is a bit lazy. Is there anyway to calibrate or refurbrish the spring so that it doesn't seem so...well...sprung?

Springs are sold in any color you want, just indicate color in your order.

Spring is 100% adjustable. All you need to do to adjust the tension is move the end not connected to the throttle butterfly valve further up or down the length of the spring.

And, P4 works in broad daylight conditions unlike other "Star gazer" speed controllers that probably require you to ski at night so it can see the stars.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Pistol, how do you keep your intake so clean?

BTW, I clean the intake with carb. cleaner sprayed onto a rag. I've seen lots of idle problems in my day due to carbon build-up on the throttle plate and the throttle bore.

I don't see anything except the TPS.

I do have this bleeder hole, I think that's all there is.

Image032.jpg

Image030.jpg

Image034.jpg

BTW, you didn't get my "updog" joke, did you?

I don't see anything except the TPS.

I do have this bleeder hole, I think that's all there is.

Image032.jpg

Image030.jpg

Image034.jpg

BTW, you didn't get my "updog" joke, did you?

What's Up?.....Dog! :biggrin:

Pretty sure this is an IAC.post-7843-127456981948_thumb.jpg

I dunno man.

That would mean the IAC is totally inside the plenum. Aren't they usually mounted on the outside?

It just dawned on me that Volvo stopped using IACs in ~93 when they came out with the first straight 5 and straight 6 motors. They had nothing to compensate for idle until they went to fly by wire in 09.

You might be right dog,

Just did this search. Notice the second pic. (top row, one over) I had no idea Government Motors made such small IAC motors. That must be why they failed all the time. I'm used to seeing them this size.

Edited by Pistol Pete

You might be right dog,

Just did this search. Notice the second pic. (top row, one over) I had no idea Government Motors made such small IAC motors. That must be why they failed all the time. I'm used to seeing them this size.

Ya what gave it away was the ports on either side of the throttle plate. The IACs are small because they are part of the TB casting. Mopar does the very same thing...they look very similar...

And btw have a nice time in Cabo!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a recommendation...the carbon fiber/composite covers in Pistol Pete's picture (flame/spark arrestor and electronic module cover to the left) will get damaged with WD-40 or any carb-cleaner/solvent overspray, doesn't take much and the covers literally start to melt :crazy: ...take the spark arrestor wire basket off the boat to clean...learned this the hard way!