Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If the Titan Series 3 Tower was still a option...

Bake's Marine

If the Titan Series 3 Tower was still a option, would you want one on your boat?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. If the Titan Series 3 Tower we're available, would you be interested?

• Yes, I do not have a tower and if the option was there I would want a Titan Series 3 Tower (after market install)
    • Yes, If the Titan Series 3 Tower was a option on a new 2010/2011 boat, I would want it (Factory install)
    • No, I prefer the Illusion series towers or no tower at all

have titan 3 and love it. when i get a new malibu ill be upset if it is not available. i like the smooth curves. the factory is doing a disservice by shelving a good design.

The Titan 1 and Titan 2 are still available from Starone (menace), the company formerly known as Titan. :) These are great options for existing boats, and in my opinion they are much easier to use than the T3, but I understand some prefer the T3 looks over the T2.

From a barefoot aspect you can use any of the towers just fine, and it does help. They are approved for tournament use, and you'll find everyone tricks behind a tower or extended pylon in a barefoot event. (There is less drag barefooting than using a tube)

If Malibu/Titan is going to bring out the T3 again, they should also make the G3 available for dealer install on existing boats.

Peter

The Titan 1 and Titan 2 are still available from Starone (menace), the company formerly known as Titan. Smile.gif These are great options for existing boats, and in my opinion they are much easier to use than the T3, but I understand some prefer the T3 looks over the T2.

From a barefoot aspect you can use any of the towers just fine, and it does help. They are approved for tournament use, and you'll find everyone tricks behind a tower or extended pylon in a barefoot event. (There is less drag barefooting than using a tube)

If Malibu/Titan is going to bring out the T3 again, they should also make the G3 available for dealer install on existing boats.

Peter

Thanks for the barefoot tower info. As far as the G3 on older boats, thats not going to happen. Malibu wants people buying the new boats if they make all the innovative options available to old ones no one will need to upgrade.

Thanks for the input everybody, it's been shared with the "powers to be"

I hope they can bring the tower back, it looks like there is some demand for that tower still.

Thanks everybody

-Paul

The Titan III is a sweet tower. I've been lookig for a tower for my RLX as it stands there is nothing out there I like. The Extreme LXi and the Titan III DL6 are my two favorites followed by the standard titan III.

The most important factor in my decision for a tower is line

clearance for slalom skiing and second is a sharp look.

Edited by Wakes

I've got a Titan lll on my Response LXI and love it. When I got my boat they only had

the l and ll's, which I did'nt care for, so we got it without a tower. So glad I waited. Would definitely get a new one If it was offered on the new boats.

Edited by Woober

As far as the G3 on older boats, thats not going to happen. Malibu wants people buying the new boats if they make all the innovative options available to old ones no one will need to upgrade.

Well, that's a bit of a misnomer, as sales of the T3, Illusion X, or other towers didn't stop customers from buying new boats. But, the biggest problem is a dealer can't stock a new Sunscape, and then add a tower if the customer wants one. The dealer is forced into ordering another exact same Sunscape (or other model) with a tower, instead of selling what they have. And while small, there are still customers that buy boats without towers, or lights without speakers, or boats without bimini's. :)

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but we can move it to a new topic if it's really something to discuss.

Thanks,

Peter

As you all probably know from my previous posts, I've only owned a Titan and I'm a Titan fan. The Titan is as unique to Malibu as the Illusion is. I like the fact my Malibu with the T3 looks different than my three friend’s VTXs with Illusions/X. My issues with the Illusion/G3 is the weight of the rig, how they block side entry, how they block rider viewing, how ugly a tower mounted mirror looks on them and chipping color. The two points about side entry and rider viewing is likely more of a problem with the 20'ish boats where I spend all my time. Most VTX/Sunscape owners buy the 20' v-drives because we still like to pull the stick out occasionally, thus any additional weight and its affect on the slalom wake is the foundation of my weight concern. BTW, ever notice the Illusion tower base on the VTX/Sunscape is crooked? A known casting issue not addressed in its three year run.

I also see the upside to the G3 and it's predecessors. No visible wires, more room to mount accessories and no tower in the drives frontal view.

If nothing else, the T3 is the best alternative to the G3 and all other towers because it's construction is Stainless Steel and not Aluminum. Bring the T3 back, choice is good and my buddy needs one for his Sportster!

DSC_8405.JPG

That boat just looks so much cleaner. I love the look of the T2 vs. the new bulky painted towers. That boat looks bad A55.

Well, that's a bit of a misnomer, as sales of the T3, Illusion X, or other towers didn't stop customers from buying new boats. But, the biggest problem is a dealer can't stock a new Sunscape, and then add a tower if the customer wants one. The dealer is forced into ordering another exact same Sunscape (or other model) with a tower, instead of selling what they have. And while small, there are still customers that buy boats without towers, or lights without speakers, or boats without bimini's. :)

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but we can move it to a new topic if it's really something to discuss.

Thanks,

Peter

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or you are misunderstanding me. I was trying to say that malibu would NOT offer the new towers to older boats simply because they want people upgrading to the newer boats. If everyone can get the new towers/racks/maliview/wedges etc on the old boats (as add-on extras after) than upgrading to a completely new boat starts to look a lot more expensive than just upgrading options onto someones existing boat.

A little late to the poll, but....

I like the Illusion tower. Nothing against the Titan, I just like the simplicity of the Illusion. I've had 2 of them now and never had an issue. Keep in mind it's not unusual for us to have 8 boards on the tower when a strong, 200lb+ rider is ripping behind the boat. That being said, I don't doubt others have had their issues with them. To each their own...

And while small, there are still customers that buy boats without towers, or lights without speakers, or boats without bimini's. :)

I am in this small group. My Sunscape was a 2008 "leftover" and i got a very good deal on it. It did not have a tower and I decided to wait and see what we did and how we used the boat before I purchased one.

After a year on the water, I would like to add a tower, and I think the T3 is the best looking one I have seen, and my wife likes it as well (a strong consideration!). So, i will wait awhile and see if Malibu brings the T3 back. If they don't, i won't buy a new boat, i will just buy someone else's tower.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or you are misunderstanding me. I was trying to say that malibu would NOT offer the new towers to older boats simply because they want people upgrading to the newer boats. If everyone can get the new towers/racks/maliview/wedges etc on the old boats (as add-on extras after) than upgrading to a completely new boat starts to look a lot more expensive than just upgrading options onto someones existing boat.

Reread my response. I completely understand what you said, hence my response in disagreement with your opinion. I do NOT believe adding current generation equipment stops buyers from purchasing new boats.

Thanks,

Peter

Reread my response. I completely understand what you said, hence my response in disagreement with your opinion. I do NOT believe adding current generation equipment stops buyers from purchasing new boats.

Thanks,

Peter

Well I guess well have to agree to disagree. Not so much for a <5 yr old boat but If I was in a 2000 Malibu VLX and I could add a power wedge G3 Tower, maliview etc, I would keep my boat for 25 years. and just spend the minimal incrmement s to keep it running 'alomst' as well as a 2010 VLX with all the same creature comforts.

Well I guess well have to agree to disagree. Not so much for a <5 yr old boat but If I was in a 2000 Malibu VLX and I could add a power wedge G3 Tower, maliview etc, I would keep my boat for 25 years. and just spend the minimal incrmement s to keep it running 'alomst' as well as a 2010 VLX with all the same creature comforts.

I agree. I have seen a lot of people upgrade the options on their boat as their needs change, instead of buying a new boat. I have done it myself too and I know plenty of other people that do it. If you could add all the nicest features from the new boats onto a ten year old boat, that otherwise runs great, it makes more sense then dishing out 50,000+ for a new boat. I eventually got a newer boat because I wanted the features that those boats came with. If I could have purchased a 2000 VLX and added those options for a lot less money, it would have been much more attractive. If I already had the 2000 VLX then I think it would be a no brainer.

Edited by wakeboy

In general, I agree with the new feature restriction perspective, but I disagree that towers should fall into that category. I'm not going to decide to drop the extra $20K to update to a new boat just so I can get a $2500 tube tower that isn't uniquely identifiable with Malibu. I'm only going to make that decision for features that are not nearly as straightforward an addon to an existing boat as a tower is. Innovations like a new hull, Malivue, or a Power Wedge. Even the Illusion when it first came out (though as was pointed out, I don't think it counts as innovation any more).

[RANT ON]

Malibu apparently thinks it is important enough to protect so that nobody else can get it, yet don't even offer it themselves? :lame: This is the first time I have ever felt like Malibu was operating as a corporate bully, rather than as the innovation leader I have always believed them to be.

[RANT OFF]

martinarcher

I agree. I have seen a lot of people upgrade the options on their boat as their needs change, instead of buying a new boat. I have done it myself too and I know plenty of other people that do it. If you could add all the nicest features from the new boats onto a ten year old boat, that otherwise runs great, it makes more sense then dishing out 50,000+ for a new boat. I eventually got a newer boat because I wanted the features that those boats came with. If I could have purchased a 2000 VLX and added those options for a lot less money, it would have been much more attractive. If I already had the 2000 VLX then I think it would be a no brainer.

Totally agree. My skier certainly didn't come with what is on it right now.

I have a disease.........symptoms include modding old stuff and pretending it's new. Crazy.gif

Totally agree. My skier certainly didn't come with what is on it right now.

I have a disease.........symptoms include modding old stuff and pretending it's new. Crazy.gif

I must be honest, I love your old skier. I thought it looked great from the day I joined this forum). There is something about modifying old cars/boats with new features and options WHILE keeping it's classic lines that I have always thought looks great and your skier does it brilliantly. That skier with an illusion x or G3 would look ridicuolous but the current tower flows so nice with the lines. Best looking 'older' boat I have ever seen!Thumbup.gif

Edited by TrickyNicky
  • 2 weeks later...

The Titan III is a sweet tower. I've been lookig for a tower for my RLX as it stands there is nothing out there I like. The Extreme LXi and the Titan III DL6 are my two favorites followed by the standard titan III.

The most important factor in my decision for a tower is line

clearance for slalom skiing and second is a sharp look.

Does anyone have any contact info for extreme? or whoever they are now?

• 1 year later...

As you all probably know from my previous posts, I've only owned a Titan and I'm a Titan fan. The Titan is as unique to Malibu as the Illusion is. I like the fact my Malibu with the T3 looks different than my three friend’s VTXs with Illusions/X. My issues with the Illusion/G3 is the weight of the rig, how they block side entry, how they block rider viewing, how ugly a tower mounted mirror looks on them and chipping color. The two points about side entry and rider viewing is likely more of a problem with the 20'ish boats where I spend all my time. Most VTX/Sunscape owners buy the 20' v-drives because we still like to pull the stick out occasionally, thus any additional weight and its affect on the slalom wake is the foundation of my weight concern. BTW, ever notice the Illusion tower base on the VTX/Sunscape is crooked? A known casting issue not addressed in its three year run.

I also see the upside to the G3 and it's predecessors. No visible wires, more room to mount accessories and no tower in the drives frontal view.

If nothing else, the T3 is the best alternative to the G3 and all other towers because it's construction is Stainless Steel and not Aluminum. Bring the T3 back, choice is good and my buddy needs one for his Sportster!

DSC_8405.JPG

Do you have the "over the top bimini? How do you like it? Where did you get it?

Star One owns the rights to the Series 1 and Series 2 Towers

We do not own the rights to the Series 1 or 2 towers.. We manufacture similar towers called the Standard and Deluxe...

Give me a shout and I will help you get a Series 3 Over The Top Bimini if you are interested...

I do have the over the top. I had a picture of it posted here. I'll look. Yes, I like it and I got it from my dealer at the time but I'd go straight to Star One now.