Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine hours to miles in a car

malibanker

Compare the throttle settings between the boat and the car/truck at the same RPMs to get an idea of the differing loads on the engine.

2500 RPM in my Sequoia at highway speed and I would guess that my throttle is 15% or so open.

2500 RPM in my Boat just cruising around and I would bet that I am closer to 40%. Add some ballast/wedge and that setting would be higher.

I have always been under the impression that 2000 HRS in a boat is roughly equivalent to 100,000 miles in a vehicle...maybe 150K-200K with the way vehicle engines last longer than they did 20 years ago.

A well cared for (and regularly run) engine in either will go longer than 2000 HRS/100,000 miles and be fine (My Sequoia has 115K on it and runs like new, and oil analyses come back excellent)

This has been an informative thread. I’m now realizing that my 11 year-old boat with 550 hours and me in my 50’s there a pretty good chance the boat will outlast me. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. :(

As an earlier poster stated, I'd recommend Shell Rotella.

I am a big believer that boats that are used more regularly with higher hours are likely more reliable and "healthy" than a boat that sits over half the year with the seals drying out.

Ed...add up all the time someone spends to clean and keep a boat in "pristine" shape compared to someone simply wiping it down after use, etc. This difference in hours divided into the increase in resale between the two boats is likely going to hash out to less than minimum wage/hr. I am not saying to completely abuse a boat. I am just saying that someone who makes a rider "drip dry" on the back of the platform because they dont want water in the boat, is really misplaced about the type of abuse a boat can take. I also find it ironic that these drivers are FAR more likely to smash into a dock or other obstacle than someone who uses the boat more and has more experience driving in current, choppy conditions, etc.

There is a great form of beauty to see a great driver manage a boat in current, entering and flipping a u-turn in a tight place, dropping the driver off on the dock (passenger simply hoping from the V-drive platform) without so much as a single correction or reversal, under power and control...its got a sort of "harmony" about it since its so smooth and effortless looking. The same can be applied for a killer double up with a slumpin boat....really tough to do in a tight space.

Edited by Liquidmx

There is a great form of beauty to see a great driver manage a boat in current, entering and flipping a u-turn in a tight place, dropping the driver off on the dock (passenger simply hoping from the V-drive platform) without so much as a single correction or reversal, under power and control...its got a sort of "harmony" about it since its so smooth and effortless looking.

I'm with ya there, I know a guy like that. But with a smoke dangling from his mouth to add to it. Nautique driver, nice guy.

The same can be said for watching a good landscaper operate a Bobcat...mesmerizing.

I am a big believer that boats that are used more regularly with higher hours are likely more reliable and "healthy" than a boat that sits over half the year with the seals drying out.

Ed...add up all the time someone spends to clean and keep a boat in "pristine" shape compared to someone simply wiping it down after use, etc. This difference in hours divided into the increase in resale between the two boats is likely going to hash out to less than minimum wage/hr. I am not saying to completely abuse a boat. I am just saying that someone who makes a rider "drip dry" on the back of the platform because they dont want water in the boat, is really misplaced about the type of abuse a boat can take...

I agree with that. There is indeed a point-of-diminshing-returns that it makes no sense to go beyond. I did used to ski with one guy who was that degree of anal; spent too much time worrying about small things like drip drying, no food of any type in the boat etc, things that aren't that big a deal IMO (it's a boat for cryin' out loud, it's made to get wet). As I stated earlier, a boat is a tool (IMO anyway) to allow you to pursue/enjoy your sport and time on the water. Like any quality tool the better you maintain it the more pleasure/value/work/whatever you're gonna get out of it. But you can definitely go overboard.

I'm as anal as anyone about the care of my boat (take your shoes off before getting in, don't walk on the upholstry, try not to spill your drinks in the seats if possible, etc etc) but I do understand that it's a TOOL and it's made to use. If you're totally worried about it ever showing wear wrap it in bubble wrap and leave it in the garage. But in my boat I do ask that you respect it and abide by my very reasonable set of rules while in it. I always wipe down after use, I clean the upholstry regularly, and I strip/wax it 2 - 3X a year, change the oil & filter every 40 - 45 hours (ditto the suggestions on Rotella 15W-40!) etc. Good care but not totally overboard; I want it to last and to stay looking nice!

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier
martinarcher

I agree with that. There is indeed a point-of-diminshing-returns that it makes no sense to go beyond. I did used to ski with one guy who was that degree of anal; spent too much time worrying about small things like drip drying, no food of any type in the boat etc, things that aren't that big a deal IMO (it's a boat for cryin' out loud, it's made to get wet). As I stated earlier, a boat is a tool (IMO anyway) to allow you to pursue/enjoy your sport and time on the water. Like any quality tool the better you maintain it the more pleasure/value/work/whatever you're gonna get out of it. But you can definitely go overboard.

I'm as anal as anyone about the care of my boat (take your shoes off before getting in, don't walk on the upholstry, try not to spill your drinks in the seats if possible, etc etc) but I do understand that it's a TOOL and it's made to use. If you're totally worried about it ever showing wear wrap it in bubble wrap and leave it in the garage. But in my boat I do ask that you respect it and abide by my very reasonable set of rules while in it. I always wipe down after use, I clean the upholstry regularly, and I strip/wax it 2 - 3X a year, change the oil & filter every 40 - 45 hours (ditto the suggestions on Rotella 15W-40!) etc. Good care but not totally overboard; I want it to last and to stay looking nice!

Ed

You sound about like me when it comes to boat maintenance. I use the heck out of it, but also treat it right.

martinarcher

Ed...add up all the time someone spends to clean and keep a boat in "pristine" shape compared to someone simply wiping it down after use, etc. This difference in hours divided into the increase in resale between the two boats is likely going to hash out to less than minimum wage/hr. I am not saying to completely abuse a boat. I am just saying that someone who makes a rider "drip dry" on the back of the platform because they dont want water in the boat, is really misplaced about the type of abuse a boat can take. I also find it ironic that these drivers are FAR more likely to smash into a dock or other obstacle than someone who uses the boat more and has more experience driving in current, choppy conditions, etc.

There is a great form of beauty to see a great driver manage a boat in current, entering and flipping a u-turn in a tight place, dropping the driver off on the dock (passenger simply hoping from the V-drive platform) without so much as a single correction or reversal, under power and control...its got a sort of "harmony" about it since its so smooth and effortless looking. The same can be applied for a killer double up with a slumpin boat....really tough to do in a tight space.

Rockon.gif Right on. Gotta know how to drive your boat! People just stare when the dock is all used up and I have a passenger we're dropping off step on the bow. Come in easy, bump reverse as the bow is 6 inches from the dock and they step off, the boat swings into a turn and off you go. No need to tie up the dock or wait....there's fun to be had on the water! You spend enough time in your boat or watching someone else and you learn how to drive.

You are dead on about that...people that maintain engines in aircraft will attest to this.

That is why, even in the 'dead of winter' around here, I make sure to get my boat out to the lake and run it around for at least a half hour (tach time) at least once per calender month. Talk about an entire lake of pure glass, we have it in Central Florida in January/February. The only other people I see on the lake are fishermen, and they are sitting still fishing because they don't want to freeze to death by moving around.

Haha RTS, I spent a some time on lake Hiawassee this past January. It was awesome riding and the conditions were actually quite good considering the time of year and record temps. It was funny to hear the boys complain about cold temps and having to wear a full wetsuit (I was pumped to be able to grab the board without pins and needles pains in my hands)...haha. Then again those guys make their living being in the water and chose that location for a reason.

Yah that comment about boat maneuvering is SOOO true, along with trailer maneuvering too (its always better if the driver is carrying on a conversation too, haha)! Some of my favorite memories in boating history have been:

Passing a guy backing down the launch ramp while casually drinking a big gulp. It kind of felt like a slow motion drag race where I just slowly crept by him. He looked at me like "WTF...why aren't you drawing s's down the ramp?" hahaha

Learning to parallel park in the delta at a on the water bar(Current + tight spaces + lots of people watching + lots of expensive boats = tests your nerves BIG TIME)

Learning to drive double ups with a heavily weighted boat and getting a "shaka brah" from a big named rider for driving a few good ones. Even better = watching a good friend stomp a Macking trick off the dub you just drove....or having a good rider request you drive. I will NEVER forget dropping the rider after that killer dub (Lake Shasta evening set on the Pit arm) and being able to roll by him and give him a high 5 (from the driver's seat) while he was in the water as I lined him up for another tow.

Learning to hold a line down a narrow slough with a rider at 80ft plus, rocks on both sides plus current. On this particular day the tide was low (and winds were high requiring a narrow slough) so the rider would be about 5ft from shoreline on either side when perfectly centered in the slough. Tough to maintain that while towing a ripper.

One last one: Backing down the ramp the tow vehicle driver says "dude are we going to have enough gas?". Response from boat driver "yah dude I filled her up this morning". Tow vehicle driver "I am talking about your truck dude, the light is on and its beeping at me!" haha. Priorities!

Damn, what a trip down memory lane! Now I am getting all "misty" and nostalgic, haha.

Anyways I am sure you guys have similar stories. I guess my point is...the most neurotic, controlling and anal people about their boats are likely missing out on a lot of fun and experience. Sorry if any of my posts comes of as "bragging" or "elitist", it was meant more as an "eye opener" than anything. I have had the EXTREMELY fortunate experience to ride with everyone from the top to the bottom. I have one of those "observant" personalities where I like to take everything in and analyze different styles. In fact I keep a cardboard sign in my Tahoe that says "$ For Pull" on one side and "Seasoned Rider" on the other. It's introduced me to a lot of new interesting people.

martinarcher

Haha RTS, I spent a some time on lake Hiawassee this past January. It was awesome riding and the conditions were actually quite good considering the time of year and record temps. It was funny to hear the boys complain about cold temps and having to wear a full wetsuit (I was pumped to be able to grab the board without pins and needles pains in my hands)...haha. Then again those guys make their living being in the water and chose that location for a reason.

Yah that comment about boat maneuvering is SOOO true, along with trailer maneuvering too (its always better if the driver is carrying on a conversation too, haha)! Some of my favorite memories in boating history have been:

Passing a guy backing down the launch ramp while casually drinking a big gulp. It kind of felt like a slow motion drag race where I just slowly crept by him. He looked at me like "WTF...why aren't you drawing s's down the ramp?" hahaha

Learning to parallel park in the delta at a on the water bar(Current + tight spaces + lots of people watching + lots of expensive boats = tests your nerves BIG TIME)

Learning to drive double ups with a heavily weighted boat and getting a "shaka brah" from a big named rider for driving a few good ones. Even better = watching a good friend stomp a Macking trick off the dub you just drove....or having a good rider request you drive. I will NEVER forget dropping the rider after that killer dub (Lake Shasta evening set on the Pit arm) and being able to roll by him and give him a high 5 (from the driver's seat) while he was in the water as I lined him up for another tow.

Learning to hold a line down a narrow slough with a rider at 80ft plus, rocks on both sides plus current. On this particular day the tide was low (and winds were high requiring a narrow slough) so the rider would be about 5ft from shoreline on either side when perfectly centered in the slough. Tough to maintain that while towing a ripper.

One last one: Backing down the ramp the tow vehicle driver says "dude are we going to have enough gas?". Response from boat driver "yah dude I filled her up this morning". Tow vehicle driver "I am talking about your truck dude, the light is on and its beeping at me!" haha. Priorities!

Damn, what a trip down memory lane! Now I am getting all "misty" and nostalgic, haha.

Anyways I am sure you guys have similar stories. I guess my point is...the most neurotic, controlling and anal people about their boats are likely missing out on a lot of fun and experience. Sorry if any of my posts comes of as "bragging" or "elitist", it was meant more as an "eye opener" than anything. I have had the EXTREMELY fortunate experience to ride with everyone from the top to the bottom. I have one of those "observant" personalities where I like to take everything in and analyze different styles. In fact I keep a cardboard sign in my Tahoe that says "$ For Pull" on one side and "Seasoned Rider" on the other. It's introduced me to a lot of new interesting people.

ROFL.gifROFL.gif That's great.