Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

**** jet skis

midjb

Over here in the US anyone can get on one and ride it. No liscense, no training, just need enough $$$ to purchase and operate one. I'm totally in favor of what you have Down Under, I really wish they'd do that here in the US.

My own son almost got run over by one years ago as he was learning to board. Since then I have very little patience when I see someone following my boat too close, jumping my wake etc. Apologies for the rant, since that occured it's kinda personal with me.

Cheers, Ed

Not in Oregon. You have to be licensed to (legally) drive any watercraft with more than 10hp. I agree with your point though. I have absolutely NO patience for people who follow too close. None. Stupidity, I can deal with (most of the time). Reckless endangerment of a friend/wife/child I cannot.

Tennessee Laws -

•Boat operators born after January 1, 1989 must successfully complete a boater education course approved by the TWRA.

•Any non-resident boater operating a boat in Tennessee who falls within this age requirement must show proof of successful passage of a National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) approved boater education course.

•Persons under 12 years of age may not operate a powered vessel or PWC unless an adult is on board that can take immediate control.

•When loaning your motorboat or PWC, be certain that they have met the minimum age and education requirements and understand all applicable Tennessee laws.

•Under no circumstances, can PWCs be rented to anyone younger than 16 years of age.

I came within feet from being run down by a jet ski. Went to pull out for a set and had an odd feeling. just as I looked over my shoulder a jet ski flew past less than 15 feet away. What was even worse both spotters never said a word to the driver a jet ski was overtaking us never motioned to me. Then the jet ski cut the boat off so close I could not see the jet ski the driver dumped the throttle.

I got picked up and we went down and had a quick chat with the parents. The dud comes out of the house 400+ lbs beer in hand ya so no one got hurt!!!! Its 9:30am . We just left.

Glad that your skier is OK. I can not agree with you guys more. I have a 05 23 LSV and we no what kind of wake it puts out. Jet skiers love to get behind our boats because of the wakes. I hate when these PWC's get behind me to, I had one suck up my ski rope when I dropped a skier. We had to get up close and personal, I had to get him back to the dock not because I wanted to, but I wanted paid for my 75.00 rope that he had to cut out of his impeller.

I can tell you that I have had boater problems more that jet skies. How about a boat cutting across your ski line while you were getting ready to pull a skier up and snapping the line back at you. How many times have you had a boat up on plane and almost hit you or your skier?

I USED to own 2 2008 Sea Doo 255,S that is 255 Screaming, lightning fast horse power. You get very bored flying up and down at 70 + MPH both of my machines ran that speed. So what do you do when you are bored, you stare jumping wakes (by the way it will be a big fine here in PA). Try to remember they are so fast, so quick, that they get into trouble before they know it. They are just like us, looking for a good time, the thrill of being free and in the water.

So here is when I just lay it out. I am an cyclist on the road for thousands of miles everyone hates us. I was a owner of PWC's all the boaters hated us. Did you ever think what the dock owners think of us, with our wild sound systems and the wakes that we put out? They hate us to. I was taught 35 years ago that you as the boat driver is to protect the skier at all costs. Get that boat back to the skier as fast as you can. Never assume that anyone is paying attention.

just this last weekend we were out riding on my local river, now my brother was riding who is 16, he fell on a crow mobe, he rides at 75ft now since he fell and we immmediately stopped to idle a jetskier comes between my bro and the boat, im driving and he actually ran over my $200 rope and handle. it got sucked up into his jet unit and broke down. we reported him to waterways(water police) and we gave them the rego of the jetski, so since he is broken down now, we idled over to him and had a go at him, he was literally 15ft from the rider when my bro fell. so of course we gave him an earfull, the handle was okay so we undid that and chucked that in the boat.

so then he asked us if he could get a tow back to the ramp and we told him to F*** off, as if i would tow you abck to the ramp for endangering someones life like that, destroying my $200 rope. i also amde him give me all the cash he had in his wallet for destroying the rope.

then this morning i got a call from waterways saying they have given him a fine of $2000 AUS($1691.20 american) and has written a formal apology, and has had his lisence suspended for 3 months.

all in all a good result.

i do agree the jetskiers have the right to use the waterways, but its when you get idiots like this which is basically every jetski who ruin it.

just this last weekend we were out riding on my local river, now my brother was riding who is 16, he fell on a crow mobe, he rides at 75ft now since he fell and we immmediately stopped to idle a jetskier comes between my bro and the boat, im driving and he actually ran over my $200 rope and handle. it got sucked up into his jet unit and broke down. we reported him to waterways(water police) and we gave them the rego of the jetski, so since he is broken down now, we idled over to him and had a go at him, he was literally 15ft from the rider when my bro fell. so of course we gave him an earfull, the handle was okay so we undid that and chucked that in the boat.

so then he asked us if he could get a tow back to the ramp and we told him to F*** off, as if i would tow you abck to the ramp for endangering someones life like that, destroying my $200 rope. i also amde him give me all the cash he had in his wallet for destroying the rope.

then this morning i got a call from waterways saying they have given him a fine of $2000 AUS($1691.20 american) and has written a formal apology, and has had his lisence suspended for 3 months.

all in all a good result.

i do agree the jetskiers have the right to use the waterways, but its when you get idiots like this which is basically every jetski who ruin it.

Right on! Glad they busted the punk. If they'd fine 'em here in the US like that maybe the message would get out.

Ed

as the boat driver is to protect the skier at all costs. Get that boat back to the skier as fast as you can. Never assume that anyone is paying attention.

Anytime I'm teaching a new person to drive my boat I tell them "Just drive as if everyone out here is drunk and no one sees you". Because, that's usually the case.

Glad that your skier is OK. I can not agree with you guys more. I have a 05 23 LSV and we no what kind of wake it puts out. Jet skiers love to get behind our boats because of the wakes. I hate when these PWC's get behind me to, I had one suck up my ski rope when I dropped a skier. We had to get up close and personal, I had to get him back to the dock not because I wanted to, but I wanted paid for my 75.00 rope that he had to cut out of his impeller.

I can tell you that I have had boater problems more that jet skies. How about a boat cutting across your ski line while you were getting ready to pull a skier up and snapping the line back at you. How many times have you had a boat up on plane and almost hit you or your skier?

I USED to own 2 2008 Sea Doo 255,S that is 255 Screaming, lightning fast horse power. You get very bored flying up and down at 70 + MPH both of my machines ran that speed. So what do you do when you are bored, you stare jumping wakes (by the way it will be a big fine here in PA). Try to remember they are so fast, so quick, that they get into trouble before they know it. They are just like us, looking for a good time, the thrill of being free and in the water.

So here is when I just lay it out. I am an cyclist on the road for thousands of miles everyone hates us. I was a owner of PWC's all the boaters hated us. Did you ever think what the dock owners think of us, with our wild sound systems and the wakes that we put out? They hate us to. I was taught 35 years ago that you as the boat driver is to protect the skier at all costs. Get that boat back to the skier as fast as you can. Never assume that anyone is paying attention.

As a dock owner, I don't mind the wakes people throw. I could be biased since I don't have floating docks and I am wakeboarder. The thing that gets to me is people that anchor their boats so close to my dock. 20 or 30 feet from my dock is just a little too close for me. I don't want to hear your conversations nor do I want to have to go around you when leaving my dock. Just stay at least 50 feet from my dock and I will be happy.

After this weekend I think I am selling my sea doo because I dont want to be associated with those idiots. I had my 9 year old daughter surfing ropeless behind my boat and a jet ski cuts about 20 feet behind her to jump my wake. Then they proceed to just follow us down the lake jumping back and forth. Only good thing is I didnt have my gun with me or there would be one dead dumbass and I would be in jail right now. I am selling mine on craigslist because I rarely ride it now with the Malibu and I dont want any friends of mine doing that to other people on my sea doo

Edited by 63Taylor