Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter VLX or 23 LSV 2006 / 2007 ????

Connelly

Looks like I found a nice 2007 LSV with HH engine.. I am little struggled with HH because of fuel consumption and maintenance.. Anyone, please help me feeling confident with HH!!

As far as fuel usage -I felt the same way before we got our boat with a HH. I haven't noticed a huge difference in my fuel usage. For example, I filled up on our last trip (48 gallon tank) and we wake boarded for about 7 hours over three days. We rode with the wedge and probably 2000 lbs of ballast/people. We also took a 45 min trip around 4000 RPMs and tooled around for another hour here or there. So roughly 9 hours of pretty good use and we didn't quite go through a tank of fuel - maybe 45 gallons.

My last v-drive was a bit smaller and had a 5.7 merc. I would have roughly used around 40 gallons of gas but I would not have gotten anywhere near the wake that I do with this boat. So I figured it cost me less then $20 more in gas to run this boat over a three day trip.

As far as maintenance... I haven't had the boat long enough to comment.

People on this site tend to have a bigger and more powerful is better, mentallity. Even though I have a VLX and not a bigger boat, I still agree with them. If you are considering two boats as similar in wakeboarding performance as the VLX and 23 LSV, then chances are it is because you plan on having a good amount of people in it pretty often. I am not going to tell you one is a better wakeboarding boat than another because there isn't that much of a differnce, there is a reason why some pros ride a VLX and others a 247 LSV. If you have a house on the lake and don't need tons of people in your boat all day long, then I would suggest a VLX. Otherwise I would suggest a 23 LSV because a little too big is always better than a little too small. If you were buying new and wanted the more powerful engine I would tell you to go for it, but when buying used I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the smaller engine (no matter what anyone tells you, there is plenty of power to do everything you need plus more without any problems) you can't be too picky.

Test drives are the only way you will be able to make your decision with 100% confidence.

Otherwise I would suggest a 23 LSV because a little too big is always better than a little too small.

Yeah, I like LSV because of roomy but from my research on classfield all over USA, (apple compares with apple) LSV is about $10K more than VLX. I need to decide if $10K is really worth for 1 and 1/2 feet bigger.

Edited by Woodsprinter

You can always go to an older model if you need the space. I would honestly suggest figuring out what you need in terms of space and what you will be using the boat for most (wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, etc.) and then figure out how big of a boat you need and then figure out which boat you need. From there you need to figure out the money you want to spend. Only after that would I suggest looking to find that boat that fits all that criteria. Now if having a 23 foot boat is what you need, then you maybe able to save money by looking for an older model. If you determine 21.5 feet is enough, then you may be able to get a newer model.

Just make sure you know what you NEED and what you WANT, because you might not get what you WANT in terms of features or color, but you can't afford to give up what you NEED like size or a well maintained boat.

Yeah, I like LSV because of roomy but from my research on classfield all over USA, (apple compares with apple) LSV is about $10K more than VLX. I need to decide if $10K is really worth for 1 and 1/2 feet bigger.

I also don't know your previous experience with the VLX but you may be surprised at how much room there is in that boat. Go test drive and bring enough people along so you can get an idea of where people will sit and how much room you have left over, you should be able to tell whether or not it is going to be able to handle your normal crew with comfort or be too cramped. Everyone is different.

Edited by wakeboy

I also don't know your previous experience with the VLX but you may be surprised at how much room there is in that boat. Go test drive and bring enough people along so you can get an idea of where people will sit and how much room you have left over, you should be able to tell whether or not it is going to be able to handle your normal crew with comfort or be too cramped. Everyone is different.

I used to own 04 VLX without bow ballast.. I know 05-08VLX is little bigger than 04VLX. Thanks to rear tanks under sub floor. But I need bow ballast in next boat which means I will lose some storage in front therefore 05-08VLX storage with bow ballast will be same as 04 vlx without bow ballast, right?

I am assuming you don't have a house on the lake then and you will be spending pretty much all your time on the lake wih everyone in the boat. Am I correct?

I am assuming you don't have a house on the lake then and you will be spending pretty much all your time on the lake wih everyone in the boat. Am I correct?

No, My home has deeded dock (water access). Dock is about 1/2 mile away from my home.

No, My home has deeded dock (water access). Dock is about 1/2 mile away from my home.

Well I will say that with a dock and being a 1/2 mile away you probably do 1 of 2 things.

1. You either spend all day on the boat since the house is a 1/2 mile away and therefore you could probably use a boat that has a little more room.

or

2. You don't just stay on the boat all day because you can go back home for lunch and drinks (or whatever it is we all do) and therefore don't need the boat full all day long and may not need anything bigger than a VLX.

It really depends if you have more than 7 people on the boat regularly and you never leave the boat all day, it can become cramped. If you do leave the boat from time to time and/or don't regularly have more than 7 people on the boat, you will probably be fine with the size of a VLX.

It is a matter of what your average day on the lake is like. Also test drive, because some people don't need the extra size, but fall in love with the bigger boat anyways.

Edited by wakeboy