Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michigan boarder

Ya never know! Selling it outright makes a 6 or 8k upgrade a whole lot easier. I'm thinking SSLxi or RLxi. My wife is thinking "do it and you die". My boys are thinking "let's get a dune buggy!" (don't know who would plant that seedWhistling.gif ). My little girl is thinking "pony". I honestly have no idea who's going to win.

[/quot

I agree.sell every 3-4 years. private sale and you have a good chunk of change for a down payment :)

Congratulation man! I know the feeling as well. After college I was dumb and my former wife and I racked up all kinds of credit cards on stupid stuff (i.e. vacations, eating out, toys...) After ditching the wife, I started working my way out. I'm now married to a woman who hates debt. I slowly crawled out with her help of making me realize what was a want versus a need.

Unfortunately we're trying to move up to a more expensive house on the lake which will require a mortgage again. It definitely throws a wrench into the boat buying options. New, slightly used, really used, or a Bayliner for a while? My wife doesn't like to buy things used, as she feels most of the time you're buying somebody else's problem. I don't know which way we're going to end up.

Savor the feeling for a while. The longer you can hold on to it, the more difficult it becomes to take on more debt. Which is a good thing.

Edited by Badger

Savor the feeling for a while. The longer you can hold on to it, the more difficult it becomes to take on more debt. Which is a good thing.

:plus1:

Amen to that. Very well said.

I bought an old boat so that it could be paid for with cash. Unfortunately I keep dumping money on upgrades every year though! Your story of wanting a boat, buggy and pony remind me of a Dave Mathews song (Lyle Lovett original?) "And if I had a pony, I'd ride him on my boat"

Congratulation man! I know the feeling as well. After college I was dumb and my former wife and I racked up all kinds of credit cards on stupid stuff (i.e. vacations, eating out, toys...) After ditching the wife, I started working my way out. I'm now married to a woman who hates debt. I slowly crawled out with her help of making me realize what was a want versus a need.

Unfortunately we're trying to move up to a more expensive house on the lake which will require a mortgage again. It definitely throws a wrench into the boat buying options. New, slightly used, really used, or a Bayliner for a while? My wife doesn't like to buy things used, as she feels most of the time you're buying somebody else's problem. I don't know which way we're going to end up.

How about a Bayliner with a Tower?? :rofl: Just kidding or course (see pet peeves thread)

Edited by msuwaterski

We are on the Dave Ramsey plan as well. We should have our boat paid off in December if everything goes accordingly. Just finished paying off the car and the truck. It feels awesome!!!!!!!!

That's awesome! We are only on baby step number two, but it's been great for us. We should be knocking out the student loans this summer which will leave us with just one debt after that. Thankfully our first time home buyers tax credit helped us put a big dent in the student loans.

About $3000 to go and my 08 23LSV wakesetter is paid off! I can't wait for that day and hopefully its soon.

The sales/finance guy at the dealership told me nobody has been approved for a boat for 3 straight months until I came along. Imagine how frustrating that must be for a salesman that he basically sold a boat but the customer won't get approved & out the door they go, no sale, for 3 months.

Yes, I know that it's a '94, but it's now paid for in full, no liens. It runs & looks great and the next time I sit in the driver's seat it will feel that much better looking around at it knowing IT'S MINE!Yahoo.gifClap.gif

Just thought I'd share that.Thumbup.gif

Stick with the classic echelon. I paid for mine with cash and love not having a payment. Your boat is an inspiration to us other echelons out there.

When you spend less than you make you can never go in dept.

If your not familiar with Dave Ramsey I recommend his book The Total Money Makeover.

I agree with you to a point. There are certain things you have to borrow money for, like a home, unless you rent. A person may be debt free meaning no credit cards, car payment, boat payment, etc but yet they have a $300k loan on a home which adds up to a lot of debt. Thats about where I sit and I will love when I can finally say my home is paid for.

I agree with you to a point. There are certain things you have to borrow money for, like a home, unless you rent. A person may be debt free meaning no credit cards, car payment, boat payment, etc but yet they have a $300k loan on a home which adds up to a lot of debt. Thats about where I sit and I will love when I can finally say my home is paid for.

I agree completely. I'm not as strict about borrowing as Dave Ramsey and I too have a mortgage and one other small loan. The spending principle I mentioned is just a good way to live though. For example, I've needed to have my house painted for a couple of years now so I started putting money aside for it. It's going to run about 3k for the entire outside and I will be paying in cash. It's the same thing for car tires, house roof, ect. These are items you know that sometime in the future are going to be needed. When you save for them you don't have to borrow.

I'm not trying to get on a soap box as it looks like were both in agreement. I am very happy for martinarcher for paying off his boat. Things like that are a great feeling. I bet he even gets a bigger wake. :biggrin:

Edited by WakingMeHappy

When you spend less than you make you can never go in dept.

If your not familiar with Dave Ramsey I recommend his book The Total Money Makeover.

I would second that. It's a real eye opener and makes a lot of sense.