Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ Fusion prop

Bawshogg

At this time I believe the only prop size avalible is the same as the 475.

I thought so too, but when I made my order for the group buy gentleman that took my order asked me If I wanted the one for the reduction drive,or 1:1? I was puzzled and told him I wanted the one for the reduction drive obviosly because I have a v-drive that runs a reduction ratio. He then proceded to tell me that they have two different Fusion models for that reason. I think Mr. OJ should let us know for sure. OH ERIC!

I believe the 475 is listed as a .090 cup and the Fusion is listed as .120 cup. Don't really know what that translates to, but that's what I read.

Edited by Bawshogg

Currently the 14.25 X 14.5 LC 4-blade is the only FUSION I have available. Cupping can be customized for a particular application. The standard cup in the FUSION is .110.

Currently the 14.25 X 14.5 LC 4-blade is the only FUSION I have available. Cupping can be customized for a particular application. The standard cup in the FUSION is .110.

We had a prop recuped and it seemed to vibrate a bit more taking off, is this typical for more cup? We only noticed it with weight and the wedge down, I'm assuming it has something to do with the extra thrust on the wedge? I ordered the fusion and don't think it has been shipped yet and don't want to loose all our speed, a MPH or two is ok. Obviously with more cup you loose a minuet amount of take off?

Top end speed down to about 40 mph...but doesn't matter to me at all. Just thought I'd mention it.

What was your speed before?

We had a prop recuped and it seemed to vibrate a bit more taking off, is this typical for more cup? We only noticed it with weight and the wedge down, I'm assuming it has something to do with the extra thrust on the wedge? I ordered the fusion and don't think it has been shipped yet and don't want to loose all our speed, a MPH or two is ok. Obviously with more cup you loose a minuet amount of take off?

You should not lose a lot of top end, 1-3 maybe. Depends on how much cup was added. Would have to see the prop.

Wierd. Don't know what that guy was talkin about then? I saw those cup size listings on Nettle props website. Maybe they are wrong? :dontknow:

What was your speed before?

About 42 MPH

Update:

So, I did get the prop on Friday (thanks Eric!)

Initial impressions -

From the drivers perspective: Hole shot is greatly improved.

At half throttle (for gradual starts), with full ballast and 5-6 people, the boat can actually get on plane.

Full throttle, boat gets on plane MUCH faster and pulls harder than before.

Top end speed down to about 40 mph...but doesn't matter to me at all. Just thought I'd mention it.

From the riders perspective -

Boat pulls MUCH harder. To the point, I had to adjust my start to compensate. The first couple times, I actually face-planted.

Overall, it's exactly what I was looking for. I was having issues getting on plane with a boat load of people and full ballasts. Although, I didn't have enough people to test a 'full' boatload (pun intended) of people. But, given the performance from the weekend, I don't see why I won't meet that requirement.

Sounds almost exactly the same as the Acme 1235 I run. My 23 LSV gets up nicely with full ballast (about 2235 lbs) wedge and 10+ people. Love it.

Sounds almost exactly the same as the Acme 1235 I run. My 23 LSV gets up nicely with full ballast (about 2235 lbs) wedge and 10+ people. Love it.

But about 2 bills cheaper! Got the prop today. Now I just need a boat to put it on. :biggrin:

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Looks like a propeller to me? :dontknow:

Edited by Bawshogg

Oddly enough...it looks exactly like mine :lol:

I just noticed you're in Vancouver. I'm in-town for work for a couple days. Too bad I'm not staying over the weekend, I'd totally come hang out.

What kind of work are you doing ? Vancouver Washington? Alot of peeps assume it's Canada.

Edited by Bawshogg

What kind of work are you doing ? Vancouver Washington? Alot of peeps assume it's Canada.

Yeah, I just realized you're in Wa....although, it is just across the border. I'm actually in Canadia.

I'm up here talking to a yoga wear mfg called lululemons on our PLM software....blah, blah, blah

Although, I am supposed to be out at Boeing later this month for some work....

Boeing Portland? Or Seattle? If you have a chance and we are out on the water, give me a shout. We'll see what we can do.

Just wanted to report back on couple more observations after this weekend.

Had a chance to surf with the new prop today. Getting up on plane was much...smoother...I think that's what I'm trying to say. With the old prop, the boat took a few minor adjustments to get up to surf speeds. With the new prop, it just goes without the need for tweaks.

Also, I've noticed the PP seems to hold speeds better now. Not sure if it's actually true, but it certainly seems that way

I still think this a terrific prop and worth every penny....esp, for the GB price

Oddly enough...it looks exactly like mine :lol:

We just got ours this week and it too looks just like yours :biggrin: We tried it out last nite and compared it to the 537 we currently have, over all I am pleased with it and will share the info below. I will however say I am a bit disappointed with the prop puller kit. Its very miner, but I was expecting the aluminum prop wrench I had seen in other OJ kits to come with the kit and not the cheesy adjustable wrench I had seen in the Acme kits, the new OJ kits now come with the adjustable wrench I guess, like I said, very miner complaint, but I hate adjustable wrenches! the prop, case and puller seem to be very nice.

Our 537 had been reworked, but by very competent prop people. We live on the coast of Maine where there are a ton of lobster boats and these guys do prop repair for a living, so it wasn't some fly by nite repair shop screwing our prop up, it has however been reworked a couple times. The Fusion did seem to be a bit smother at like 1600-1800 RPM, this is something I have always noticed with the 537, our 381 is a bit smother at that RPM too. With no weight in the boat its hard to really tell the difference between the two, we only had a little time thou last nite and am sure if you spent time with both you could tell! with weight in the boat you can notice a difference! Top speed is what really will confuse a few people Im sure, we only lost .5 MPH and LOST RPM with the Fusion! Typically going to a lower number pitch you would assume to over rev at top speed, but the 537 is only a 13.5 diameter and the Fusion is 14.25, our 537 is still slipping obviously and the Fusion is more efficient? Eric?

Below is what we came up with, two people in boat, 400lb total, wake/kneeboard ballast is two 400lb in rear, 380/400lb in ski locker, 360/380lb in bow bag, wedge down. Surf weight is, 400lb port rear, two 380/400lb bags under port side seats, bow bag full, ski locker full, wedge down. Boat 01 sunsetter VLX 325. Air temp was about 50-52, lake temp was the same. Pond is at sea level, ( literally, I think its actually 54ft on GPS ) water was very light chop with the 537 and almost flat with the Fusion. We have run the 537 enough to know the top speed was rite where it normally is, the Fusion speed may come up a bit in some chop. Speeds are from Stargazer Wake GPS, Tach has been checked with a Snap-on timing light with built in tach, and is accurate.

537 prop

empty 22MPH 2600RPM

empty 27.5MPH 3000RPM

empty 45.6MPH 5600RPM Rev limiter

weighted for wake/kneeboarding

22MPH 3000RPM About 5.7 sec. to get there.

weighted for surfing

10.8MPH 2550RPM

Fusion Prop

empty 22MPH 2400RPM

empty 27.8MPH 3000RPM

empty 45.1MPH 5400RPM

Weighted for Wake/kneeboarding

22MPH 2900RPM About 5.1 sec. to get there.

weighted for surfing

10.8MPH 2400RPM

Over all we think we are going to be happy with the Fusion prop. It looks as thou it is more efficient then the 537 and hopefully save us some gas. Maybe Eric can explain some of this a bit better? It seemed to hold speed better on the perfect pass, and could really tell the difference in the throttle when taking off without perfect pass and a full boat. Our 537 has been reworked but is suppose to be back to proper specs now. If some one has the same boat with this prop maybe they can confirm our speeds. I think the nice cool coast air and sea level helps our boat perform a bit better then some places also. We are going to play with it more this weekend! I know a better comparison of prop for prop would be the 1235 prop versus the Fusion, but alot of people are looking to upgrade from this 537 to the Fusion or 1235, I am assuming the 1235 has to be close to the Fusion. From little experience the Fusion I think is a nice upgrade!

Sorry for the long post, I know a few people had asked about this prop and we tried to help, hope it did for some.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. Finally got a chance to get out and give the Fusion a try. I can say that it fits my application well and does what Eric said it would. I have the ETX monsoon. I run around 3800 pounds of ballast for surfing plus people. It is avery smooth prop. No vibrations noted at any speed range. It easily pulled the load while surfing and allowed me to get up and on plane even with all the wieght in the boat. Before the Fusion, my 537 would max out at 9.5 mph with the same load at WOT. I also noticed that it was much easier and smoother when pulling my riders up. Top speed barely suffered. I lost maybe 4mph of top end speed. My boat unloaded with the 537 would do near 49mph. Now top speed was 45. All in all very pleased with this prop. Not the most agressive I have seen, but works perfect for my application. Good job on the recommendation Eric. Thank you. :thumbup:

Edited by Bawshogg

I'm very impressed with my new fusion! Put her on and hit the water last weekend. Boat rockets out of the hole! Family and I went out to anchor and chill (tried out the new box anchor as well) then surf. Unfortunately the wind picked up (2-2.5' swells) so no surfing or trying the boat out loaded up for surfing. But initial opinion is excellent. Noticably better hole shot, even my wife thought we got on plane quicker!

Looking forward to trying it out loaded.......

Koop

I have had the chance to put the OJ 475 14.25 x 14.50 0.90 cup up against the Fusion 14.25 x 14.50 0.90 cup prop for the last few weeks.

Both props are from OJ, both CNC and with the same dia, pitch and cup.

Both have the same great hole shot, smooth at all speeds, holds speeds with out a problem even in a turn, prevented less chin lock then others that I have had on the boat.

There are four things that I find different between the two. 475 and Fusion (I need to remember the right number for this prop :cry: )

1 Fusion has a smooth hand finish and the 475 you can see the finishing cuts of the CNC.

2 Price

3 475 has a thicker blade width making the Fusion the same width as competitors

4 Fusion gave me about 2-3 MPH more top end "IMO" because the Fusion being a little lighter causing less drag on the prop.

Bang for the buck the new Fusion style props are the way to go. Great job Team OJ :clap:

I will post up pics of both props later.

Just a quick update. Finally got a chance to get out and give the Fusion a try. I can say that it fits my application well and does what Eric said it would. I have the ETX monsoon. I run around 3800 pounds of ballast for surfing plus people. It is avery smooth prop. No vibrations noted at any speed range. It easily pulled the load while surfing and allowed me to get up and on plane even with all the wieght in the boat. Before the Fusion, my 537 would max out at 9.5 mph with the same load at WOT. I also noticed that it was much easier and smoother when pulling my riders up. Top speed barely suffered. I lost maybe 4mph of top end speed. My boat unloaded with the 537 would do near 49mph. Now top speed was 45. All in all very pleased with this prop. Not the most agressive I have seen, but works perfect for my application. Good job on the recommendation Eric. Thank you. :thumbup:

The 465 would give you all the aggressiveness you want ;)

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any other updates on this prop now that people have had it for some time.

I switched to the Fusion at the end of last year... right now i'm running factory 3 tank ballast... 750s in the rear and 1200lbs sac in the nose = 3600lbs of ballast. another 250lbs of lead in the rear and 250lbs in the nose under the seats for a total of 4100lbs plus the wedge. this is about the most the boat will do with 2 people in it and a rider... anymore than 2-3 people depending on placement and i have to start dumping ballast!

here's a pic with 3000lbs and 5 people with the wedge... it gets quite bit bigger with the other 1000lbsphoto.jpg