Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting the run around on new Malibu?

bennekm

It is possible, but you are speculating and it is a fact that the truth is being withheld from the customer. They (the dealer) haven't said Malibu doesn't have it scheduled (although that could be true) and they haven't said Malibu is having any problems sourcing, and they haven't said we can tell you on x date. So I have to go with the OP on this. Communication is in Malibu and the dealers control, even if other issues are not. That is just MHO.

I am speculating (not sure where I said that I wasn't?), just as everyone else in this thread is doing. I'm just trying to point out other possibilities to the situation. That's all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennekm

• Keeowee

• WakeGirl

• Ndawg12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a newbie here, but if it helps - I ordered my VLX in early Feb and my dealer just called to say it's getting delivered next week. This is actually a bit earlier than expected - I was told at the time of ordering to expect it late April/early May. Good luck.

Newbie here as well. Ordered a VTX 2nd week in feb and spray date was set for today. If it were me, I would go pick the most expensive thing out of the pro shop and say if you can't give me any info this is what its going to cost you.

Well, if Malibu suggested you work thru your dealership, then that is what I would do.

If you are not happy with the way things are going, you need to exercise the options you have.

--One option is to call the dealership in the morning and explain that if you do not have the answers you need by later in the day to consider

your order cancelled.

--Another option would be to wait and see and hope you get it by the time you need it.

--A middle option, and what you appear to be following now, is to make the calls, check with everyone you can to find out where in the process '

your boat is without going so far as to actually cancel or threaten to cancel the order.

good luck. From the other buyers posting to this topic it appears your situation is unique among new Malibu boat buyers.

IIRC Skipper Buds isn't a Malibu dealer in the traditional way you think of a Malibu dealer. I believe their boats all actually go through Tinus so I wouldn't be afraid to give them a holler if you get to the point of wanting to pull the plug on the deal. Not saying to go over Skipper Buds head right away, but if it gets to the point where you're frustrated with their response (or lack of it) let Tinus know.

In the end there's probably little to nothing any dealer could do for you given the reality of it - you're in line as everyone else has mentioned. But poor communication from Skipper Buds at this point certainly isn't a real encouraging sign of things to come. The good news is that you've got a great dealer in Tinus just down the road if things go to hell once you take delivery.

Mike

IIRC Skipper Buds isn't a Malibu dealer in the traditional way you think of a Malibu dealer. I believe their boats all actually go through Tinus so I wouldn't be afraid to give them a holler if you get to the point of wanting to pull the plug on the deal. Not saying to go over Skipper Buds head right away, but if it gets to the point where you're frustrated with their response (or lack of it) let Tinus know.

In the end there's probably little to nothing any dealer could do for you given the reality of it - you're in line as everyone else has mentioned. But poor communication from Skipper Buds at this point certainly isn't a real encouraging sign of things to come. The good news is that you've got a great dealer in Tinus just down the road if things go to hell once you take delivery.

Mike

I believe that was the case a year ago when they were starting out, but I don't think that's true any more.

From what I understand, Skipper Buds is now an independent Malibu dealer with no affiliation to Tinus. BICBW

Just to clarify...the dealership has been doing everything they possibly can to try to get this rectified...calling the rep at least 1-2x per week. They get the same answer...the order is in the system but it hasn't been scheduled. I was skeptical about this, that is why I contacted Malibu directly and got the same answer. Since this post, I was contacted by Adam at Malibu and was told that they would be able to indicate when my spray date is next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they come back with something that is in the next 4 weeks. I do not disagree with the fact that they might not know exactly how supplier delays impact the production schedule, however setting appropriate expectations from my perspective is necessary. Providing the answer of I don't know a month after someone has put money down (Especially as the season is rapidly approaching and you have fluke days that hit 80+ degrees) just isn't the right way to run a niche business that revolves around a few of us nut cases that are willing to spend 2-3x what we spend on our cars (that we use everyday) for a boat that in my case I probably only use 15-20x per year. So please, for any other people in my situation....be up front, indicate there are delays if that is the case, and communicate. A best guess is much better than I don't know. Buying a custom order new Malibu should be a great experience for the consumer. That has not been my experience to date. However, I know when it finally comes (Assuming I haven't missed any of my season), I will quickly forget about all of this.

Just to clarify...the dealership has been doing everything they possibly can to try to get this rectified...calling the rep at least 1-2x per week. They get the same answer...the order is in the system but it hasn't been scheduled. I was skeptical about this, that is why I contacted Malibu directly and got the same answer. Since this post, I was contacted by Adam at Malibu and was told that they would be able to indicate when my spray date is next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they come back with something that is in the next 4 weeks. I do not disagree with the fact that they might not know exactly how supplier delays impact the production schedule, however setting appropriate expectations from my perspective is necessary. Providing the answer of I don't know a month after someone has put money down (Especially as the season is rapidly approaching and you have fluke days that hit 80+ degrees) just isn't the right way to run a niche business that revolves around a few of us nut cases that are willing to spend 2-3x what we spend on our cars (that we use everyday) for a boat that in my case I probably only use 15-20x per year. So please, for any other people in my situation....be up front, indicate there are delays if that is the case, and communicate. A best guess is much better than I don't know. Buying a custom order new Malibu should be a great experience for the consumer. That has not been my experience to date. However, I know when it finally comes (Assuming I haven't missed any of my season), I will quickly forget about all of this.

Spend another $250 $300 and get a Dry Suit. I am skiing now and will quit in Nov. It makes a good season in Mi. :crazy:

Spend another $250 $300 and get a Dry Suit. I am skiing now and will quit in Nov. It makes a good season in Mi. :crazy:

:plus1: And a heater and a shower - does wonders to extend the season!

:plus1: And a heater and a shower - does wonders to extend the season!

I agree with getting a heater, but I'd save the money spent on a shower for gas and just install a ball valve on one of your manifold drain plugs with a 2ft hose extension and just fill up a cooler or bucket of hot water from the engine when you're out and soak your hands and feet in it before/after each run.

I'm cheap. :biggrin:

I'm totally with bennekm on this one. I can appreciate that Malibu may be struggling to get raw materials and or component parts - but c'mon. Really? I'm in WI as well, and he's not kidding - we have 14 - 16 weeks of weather and water that you can ski on. Let's say that in the first year, there's $6000 in boat payments, $8k - $10k in depreciation, and all of the setup issues. I'm not trying to debate that point - just sayin' it's probably not unreasonable to think there's $15,000 worth of cash just GONE in the first year of owning a brand new Malibu 23.

That's about $1,000 a weekend.

That's a lot to lose.

That's some really expensive patience.

Sure - it gets less over time. But I would not be the patient one either. If I was going in to the summer knowing that I was kissing goodbye, a thousand dollars a weekend on a new boat - I'd be on that boat and lovin' every second. There are other choices that can be made at this moment that may cost less and accomplish the same thing. If the boat isn't going to be scheduled for a month, and not done until a month after that...just say so. Right?

:plus1:

I agree with getting a heater, but I'd save the money spent on a shower for gas and just install a ball valve on one of your manifold drain plugs with a 2ft hose extension and just fill up a cooler or bucket of hot water from the engine when you're out and soak your hands and feet in it before/after each run.

I'm cheap. :biggrin:

So am I, got any pics of an install similar to this?

Not my boat, but this gives you an idea.

I think it is a dealer problem. I ordered my boat 3 weeks ago and it sprayed this week. I was at the plant yesterday to see it. I will have it next week. I ask if there were parts shortages and was told if there were it was not much at all. Only effecting one to two boats a week. They are working 5 days a week now. I would find a different dealer.

Another newbie here but my 2010 VLX is supposed to be sprayed last week of April and I am expecting delivery late May/early June. For the future I recommend putting date stipulations in your contract to give you an easy way out in case date not met plus it will keep your dealer on the manufacturer to get good consistent info to you.

I do not know this to be true, but I assume each dealer has production slots. To speculate further, I assume they can put showroom boats or custom ordered boats into those slots as needed. If your dealer is playing musical boats based on their needs, that would explain a lot........including why Malibu cannot give you a date. That is a whole lot of assumtions coming from a guy who could not possibly know for sure, but it makes sense.

This is personal opinion and has no basis more reliable than what I hear in the area. I don't know that Skipper Buds has the highest customer service standards. They may be a Malibu dealer because they're one of the few boat companies with any money right now...not because they adhere to a high standard of customer service.

Tinus on the other hand - he's got a Malibu on his lift in the north woods. He lives and breathes this stuff. Who knows. Maybe the dealer playing musical boats is a factor?

I do not know this to be true, but I assume each dealer has production slots. To speculate further, I assume they can put showroom boats or custom ordered boats into those slots as needed. If your dealer is playing musical boats based on their needs, that would explain a lot........including why Malibu cannot give you a date. That is a whole lot of assumtions coming from a guy who could not possibly know for sure, but it makes sense.

Ok...I'm beginning to be very frustrated!

As did the OP, I ordered my 23LSV in late Feb and was finally told today the spray date would be June 6th! I come here to look around and see that one poster is reporting an order date 3 weeks ago and a spray date this week!

I've just sent an email to my dealer for an explanation, but the question I have is...is it too early to be questioning my dealer? Why would it be beneficial for him to delay this...I don't see why the dealer wouldn't get this order in the lineup.

Each dealer has a set number and monthly allotment of build slots so two people could order a boat the same day, but one could have a slot that starts in two weeks and the other dealer two months. If another dealer cancels a boat Malibu will move a sold boat up and have it produced faster. I was also told the boats with snap in carpet are backordered a little because they have so many orders for that option and not enough molds.

Honestly, it's worth the wait. I'm on my second Malibu and i put 125 plus hours on my boat a year. Just got my second one in 2008 and i wouldn't ride behind anything else. With that said if u want a malibu fast it's just as good or better to buy a lightly used Malibu if you want it now. New boats are awesome in their own way, but most boats , EVEN malibus have bugs to be kinked out when their brand new. A boat thats a year old is ready to roll and has had the bugs kinked out. If u really want a Malibu now I'm just sayin a used boat in mint condition (interior) is def. Not a bad way to go

Each dealer has a set number and monthly allotment of build slots so two people could order a boat the same day, but one could have a slot that starts in two weeks and the other dealer two months. If another dealer cancels a boat Malibu will move a sold boat up and have it produced faster. I was also told the boats with snap in carpet are backordered a little because they have so many orders for that option and not enough molds.

I just got a response from my dealer and he indicated some of the same points already addressed in previous posts...mold mix, shop size and suppliers.

The promotion created a bigger order count than anticipated with projections around 1300 and orders reaching 1500.

He also said something I haven't seen here...the California plant is essentially shut down and Tenn is building the boats(about 7-8 a day).

We placed the order for our Axis in November and got it Feb 19. We ordered ours when at the same time the dealers were getting theirs built for the boat shows. The last I heard, Malibu was running 5 days a week compared to their normal 4 to push out more boats. I understand your frustration that the dealer can't get you an idea on the spray date, but its worth the wait. At least the order was accepted and they were able to see it. I heard they got slammed after the boat shows with tons of orders. Thats what I like to hear though, just means Malibu isnt going anywhere :rockon: . Also remember that all production is going through the Loudon Tn plant.

I just got a response from my dealer and he indicated some of the same points already addressed in previous posts...mold mix, shop size and suppliers.

The promotion created a bigger order count than anticipated with projections around 1300 and orders reaching 1500.

He also said something I haven't seen here...the California plant is essentially shut down and Tenn is building the boats(about 7-8 a day).

glad to hear things are getting worked out. about the TN plant doing all the boat building, it has been like that for awhile now, and was actually mentioned in post #10 of this topic.

enjoy your new boat when it arrives.

glad to hear things are getting worked out. about the TN plant doing all the boat building, it has been like that for awhile now, and was actually mentioned in post #10 of this topic.

enjoy your new boat when it arrives.

I missed that Tenn build point...thanks.

I am speculating (not sure where I said that I wasn't?), just as everyone else in this thread is doing. I'm just trying to point out other possibilities to the situation. That's all.

I guess the point I was trying to make was really in response to your comment "then it would be unfair to ask them to guess, don't you think". It is unfair to ask them to guess, because you rarely come out ahead when you give guesses to customers, but it isn't unfair to expect better communication. That is all I was really trying to say.