Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black Gel Coat

uski2it

After having a completely black boat for two years and a midnight blue boat (partially) before, I’m not of the opinion that it’s anymore of a pain to upkeep than any other color. Just because it’s black doesn’t mean the other colors don’t need the same upkeep as well and I find it actually easier to clean since you know where it is. On lakes at least the ones we frequent I haven’t found the black to an issue over other colors. Once done use vinegar to wipe it down after every use then apply a good carnauba wax once a month or more. I use 100% vinegar as the water my boat frequents has very hard water, and then re-wax, I’d do this no matter what color I had and yes every week I do this . During winter I’ll apply 3 coats of Starbrite boat polish and a coat of carnauba wax.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• martinarcher

• Bawshogg

• Kingfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't found the black hull on my Rlxi any worse to maintain than the white hulls I've had in the past. I definitely agree that a wipedown at the ramp and some Babes Boat Bright make life much easier.

Hey guys, I have called Boat Bling (the Hot Sauce company) and we should be able to get a group buy or group discount worked out shortly. I have turned it over to D-Goose to work his magic.

BTW...One of the Boat Bling owners is a Malibu owner!! :yahoo:

Awesome :thumbup:

They should call that stuff "Awesome Sauce"...

Edited by 06vlx
martinarcher

Simple chemistry - like dissolves like.

Dip a towel in the lake when you come off the water and wipe down then wipe with a dry towel.

Wax a couple times a year as general maintainence.

I make a habit of that as well to keep spotting down. I splash the bow, gunnels, and the sides of the boat as we pull out so it's all wet when I dry it off with the Absorber.

That homemade mix stinks! Especially on your hands if you have any sort of drive home from the ramp. Then it gets in your truck, on the wheel, ect. Yuck! I have had only black boats. More than half dozen black vehicles. Not trying to push anything, but that Lucas slick mist is fantastic on the boat. All my buddies with black boats are now sold on it also. Don't really like it on the truck, but on the gelcoat is is freakin amazing. If you haven't tried it, you need to just give it a try. I also abide by a good wipe don as soon as you get out of the water. Follwed by a quick wipe with the slickmist. Keeps the boat shinin' like new. Promise.

Easy...just drop in a few drops of imitation vanilla extract...makes it smell gooood! That's what I do.

I might have the ultimate test vehicle here. My boat is white, blue and black. None of it looks bad, but when you look close, really close, the black is the worst. Without a doubt. I know because I was just at the shop today trying to get the black to look like the rest of the boat :crazy: .

So ya, black will look a little worse over time, but it never really looks terrible, and if it is on an all black boat you'll probably not notice.

Sounds like I need in on that group buy or some slick 'em or whatever its called.

I might have the ultimate test vehicle here. My boat is white, blue and black. None of it looks bad, but when you look close, really close, the black is the worst. Without a doubt. I know because I was just at the shop today trying to get the black to look like the rest of the boat :crazy: .

So ya, black will look a little worse over time, but it never really looks terrible, and if it is on an all black boat you'll probably not notice.

Sounds like I need in on that group buy or some slick 'em or whatever its called.

Any darker gelcoat color looks like crap under fluorenscent lights.

Any darker gelcoat color looks like crap under fluorenscent lights.

Very fine scratches actually. Have to look close to see them......even from just a few feet can't even see them.

Back to boat color.

Dennis Prostar 197 has black underneath the waterline stripe and looks grat on the trailer and in the water.

IMOH the best looking boat on the water except for a Silver Edition Malibu Response LXI.

You might consider black under the water line.

I do not have a picture but here is a Maristar with a similar scheme.

poor example: http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=819184

also: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-MASTERCRAFT-Prostar-209-95883727

also: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-MasterCraft-X-45-96114339

These look much better in person. You get the black look yet you have the cool white surfaces to sit on under the hot sun.

Back to boat color.

Dennis Prostar 197 has black underneath the waterline stripe and looks grat on the trailer and in the water.

IMOH the best looking boat on the water except for a Silver Edition Malibu Response LXI.

You might consider black under the water line.

I do not have a picture but here is a Maristar with a similar scheme.

poor example: http://www.onlyinboa....aspx?ID=819184

also: http://www.boattrade...ar-209-95883727

also: http://www.boattrade...t-X-45-96114339

These look much better in person. You get the black look yet you have the cool white surfaces to sit on under the hot sun.

I wouldn't ever consider a hull but anything white. It just looks like crap over time, to each their own but I certainly wouldn't recommend it regardless how it looks new. I've got a 90% black boat, and yes fine scratches do show up when examined. While it does bug me that I know they are there during the daytime in the sun they really don't show and after just applying two coats of Starbrite polish and two coats of caravan wax it looks bad arse, even if I am slightly biased....:biggrin:

Very fine scratches actually. Have to look close to see them......even from just a few feet can't even see them.

Oh thought you were talking about that translucent milky color deep in the gelcoat. I've got that on the black on my boat to. It's was on the red and charcoal on the last boat. Only noticeable under shop lights.

Oh thought you were talking about that translucent milky color deep in the gelcoat. I've got that on the black on my boat to. It's was on the red and charcoal on the last boat. Only noticeable under shop lights.

I noticed the milky haze as well but assumed it was the lighting just like you said.

I like the looks of dark colored hull boats and I've had boats with dark areas on the hull and in the interior. Yes, the dark colored areas always showed wear and tear much more than did the white areas. However, that's not why I would pass on a dark colored hull: I would pass because of the heat the dark colored areas produce when in the sun. I had to put towels over the problematic areas so people wouldn't burn their elbows, hands, feet and/or back when coming in contact with the dark colored areas.

BTW, the boat in the avatar is not mine, it's a generic one I picked from this website. My VLX is all white.

Edited by MaddMaxx

Ive owned an ALL black boat before and it was a total PITA. Looked nice when it was all polished up, but was way too hot in the summer time to the touch.

Ive owned an ALL black boat before and it was a total PITA. Looked nice when it was all polished up, but was way too hot in the summer time to the touch.

I agree with the black being too hot in the sun. That's why I like the black hull but lighter colors for the topsides.

I agree with the black being too hot in the sun. That's why I like the black hull but lighter colors for the topsides.

That's what I was thinking. Usually when we're out anything darker than white gets very hot.

My boat has black on the deck accent which comes to a point on the front of the boat. Last summer it was a hot day, I wasn't really thinking, and I leaned over the front of the boat to unhook the anchor. I didn't have my shirt on and OH MAMA....my haireolas will probably never recover. That surface was so hot!

thats the same with an interior, what ever you do try not to get dark colors in the interior, in america u guys get hotter than us but still we sometimes forget that the seat is really hot and burnt your feet!

Edited by Nicvtx

Anybody see the black boat on the wakeworld forum (I think it was a nautique), Guy took a picture in the gel coat and it looked like he was taking the photo in a mirror? I can't seem to find the old thread, but it was an absolutely sick wax job!

I saw the pictures, the finish was phenomenal; it was like you said, a mirror finish.

Hey Koop I believe this is what you were referring to, I added the Posters comments as well

"I just posted it up on Wakeworld, but I use the Poorboys line of products. For my boat I use the Porter Cable 7424 with their Poorboys Polish with Carnuba for dark colors with a white polishing pad. Then I use the EX-P sealer on top of that. Last I use their Natty's Blue wax to finish it off. Then I use their Quick Detailer Plus to wipe the boat down immediately after we pull it out of the water. I think the picture speaks for itself."

Natique1.jpg

Edited by Kingfish

I saw the pictures, the finish was phenomenal; it was like you said, a mirror finish.

Hey Koop I believe this is what you were referring to, I added the Posters comments as well

"I just posted it up on Wakeworld, but I use the Poorboys line of products. For my boat I use the Porter Cable 7424 with their Poorboys Polish with Carnuba for dark colors with a white polishing pad. Then I use the EX-P sealer on top of that. Last I use their Natty's Blue wax to finish it off. Then I use their Quick Detailer Plus to wipe the boat down immediately after we pull it out of the water. I think the picture speaks for itself."

Natique1.jpg

That's the post I was reffering to. There was another pick with the owner in it that took me a second to realize he took the photo looking into the gel coat. Kingfish can you throw the link up to that post?

Thanks Koop

Hey Koop here is the other photo; PM sent. You have to admit it people that is one glossy looking finish

Nautique.jpg

Edited by Kingfish

daaaaumn that looks good. So he uses a polish with wax, a sealer then more wax. Clearly it works

Edited by Wakes

Hey Koop here is the other photo; PM sent. You have to admit it people that is one glossy looking finish

Nautique.jpg

Anyone can have a finish that looks like that. Couple things that are helping the look of the picture. It's outside in direct sunlight, and the picture is taken straight on.

With a little maintenance anyone's boat can look like that.