Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skisix could not be more correct

martho

This is an outstanding point. I cannot and have not found a way to tell my body "hips up handle down" during wake crossing. I could repeat it to myself the whole pass, have it blasting on loudspeakers down the course, and still not do it. In the beginning of the season Schnitz had something on his site about what hips up really is- standing straight up and pushing your hips/pelvis forward. For a few passes, this felt like the best tip ever- I felt invincible across the wake- until a couple real bell-ringing OTFs after the second wake. Seemed like I was driving the tip into the water with falls that rivaled my old barefoot falls. So out with that one. Does anyone know how to mentally tell yourself to get the hips up? I heard someone say "punch the water with both fists" to get the handle down, etc... My brain and body will simply not cooperate together on this concept! I will not get past 15 off without it...

Yeah, lot's of people coach to "get hips up". I think that's a result of doing something, not something you can think about doing and then make it happen. That's the way I was coached for a long time. Don't worry about your hips being up, work on keeping your elbows into your vest and then you'll start to feel how that changes your center of pull. Just like in my write up, get your elbows into your vest and let your forearms drift to take up slack and compensate for different angles to the boat and the water. Once you get the hang of keeping your elbows into your vest start working on using your triceps and shoulders to "pull" down on the handle decreasing the distance between the handle and your hips and thighs. This "pulling down" will work to keep your hips from dropping your center of pull to the tail of the ski. That's the important thing.

As for the edge change thing and your OTF's, I don't know. Look at the pictures in my write up and notice what my legs are doing. You have to keep some bend in your legs to keep centered over the ski.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skisix@38

• martho

• NorCaliBu

• Rip6@36

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once I figure out what style of skiing I'm going to pursue I'll get focussed and blow through several line lengths. I need to settle the equipment issue, get a course and then get my wife a $250,000/yr job so I can ski every day and employ a hot nanny.

Can you make that happen before I come down for the clinic?

Let me help on the equipment- stay with the D3 and then at the end of the season move up to the carbonworx, get yourself some approach boots. And yeah, a course.

skisix - at the time mentioned I was also getting into 35 on the skinny stick. At that tournament I think I fell at 28 and ended up in 6th for my division, not age related. That is only one of the reasons that I liked INT, I got to ski half day and drive the other half. That is why the frustration, I wasn't always such a hack. If I can get some of the skills back, I will ski tournaments. Right now I just don't feel like I fit in.

GT - you are selling the wide ski way short. You didn't learn to fly in a fighter, did you? They give you tons of time to think and feel what is going on. The guy that talked me into trying it is Charles Mueller, Mens 2 National Champ, we watched him run 2 @ 43 30mph. He said he uses one at least once a week just to break it up and work on timing.

M3 Fan - tie your handle to a post or make a device like the Perfect Pull machine, work on dry land, get that muscle memory working in your favor.

HA, GT & Hoover! See, someone can ride those skis to shortlines Tongue.gif

Just joking, sort of.......

We didn't say you can't, we said we don't like it and will not! More power to anyone who can.

You don't go to tournaments so why not just have fun for the fun of skiing?

Now this is our point! I think GT is right there with me on this, You hook either of us up on the back of a boat and we are like sled dogs. There is no "takin it easy" or "just having fun". Fun to us is giving it everything and having a ski that can give us everything back. Granted, the ski has way more potential than our bodies have figured out, but some days come around where everything just works, and it feels awesome. As we continue to improve and work things out, we are already set up to accept it with a ski that can handle it. Remember, we are the guys without the course. Maybe, with regular access to one, I might want a ski change, but I doubt it will be a wide ski.. I've tasted what a top end ski can do for me in a course with some frequency(College ski team), and am not willing to drop back

You didn't learn to fly in a fighter, did you?

In the Air Force, we kinda did. T-37, T-38.Maybe that is what is wrong with us???

Cheers.gif

Yea I see your point. Without access to a course I don't think that I would bust out the wide ride either. The thing that is fun about it is shorting the rope and feeling like a super hero when you run it. The other part is you don't get nearly as tired so it is a good forth or fifth set ski.

Could someone explain what "hips up" actually means? I'm trying to visualize what you mean by that... Dontknow.gif

I guess it would be better said as "Hips Forward" Not getting bent over at the waist; letting you hips lag behind.

Cheers.gif

yeah, but if we added the total weight of all the different skis you've owned/demoed/ridden/mulled over this season, and divided by the price, how fat would that number be? Then if we threw in the weight of all the possible boot combinations you've considered, we're up to what...60 or 70 pounds? Biggrin.gif

I re-read skisix's article today just before I went out. (skiski says I can't gloat about the weather so let's just say it was the worst conditions ever in November. windy, cold, foggy.... Innocent.gif ).

I have been having lots of trouble with my edge change/preturn lately (weight back and squatting into the turn). I really focused on keeping those elbows in tight at the vest like skisix suggested - I noticed a huge difference when I did it right. By keeping the elbows in, the edge change was much smoother and the ski continued it's outward path. as i got tired and let the elbows out, i would ski flat out to the ball... Look forward to working on this some more.

Go ahead and gloat about the weather now. we pulled the course Sunday and there's ice on the lake now. I will have to live vicariously through you now.

I'm glad the tips helped!

I re-read skisix's article today just before I went out. (skiski says I can't gloat about the weather so let's just say it was the worst conditions ever in November. windy, cold, foggy.... Innocent.gif ).

I have been having lots of trouble with my edge change/preturn lately (weight back and squatting into the turn). I really focused on keeping those elbows in tight at the vest like skisix suggested - I noticed a huge difference when I did it right. By keeping the elbows in, the edge change was much smooth and the ski continued it's outward path. as i got tired and let the elbows out, i would ski flat out to the ball... Look forward to working on this some more.

In reading SS6's article I have to agree with the keeping the elbows in advice. I don't know old school vs. new school but when I was younger keep the elbows to the vest when crossing the wake was always a key thought and seems to still work well today.

The pond in the backyard froze last night. The lakes are still open and wont freeze for several weeks. I woke up this morning with the realization the season is coming to an end. If we get out a couple more times I will be happy. Then its 60 days of hoping for the water to thaw so we can get back out late Feb.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...

Ski Vest

Getting to much drag on my wakeboarding PFD to get up on slalom. Anybody been thru this and have a recommendation for a PFD with less drag. I'm currently using a Ronix neoprene.

Just now, BigE said:

Ski Vest

Getting to much drag on my wakeboarding PFD to get up on slalom. Anybody been thru this and have a recommendation for a PFD with less drag. I'm currently using a Ronix neoprene.

Radar makes some good ones, but there is no reason that a fishing jacket would stop you from getting up.

• Like 1