Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 LXI Dash spotting

Mark Chilcutt

To get it done right, new vinyl, I think it will be way more than $250. $100 to dye it? If the OP didn't use any harsh cleaners, then you're just putting a band-aid on the problem and it may continue to grow. Malibu is quick to say that an improper cleaner was used, I experienced that first hand. But the facts remain, he knew about it before the warranty expired it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue. I would be pissed at myself for not attending to it sooner.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Chilcutt

• davemac

• Ndawg12

• billb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's out of warranty...gotta agree with Malibu, I wouldn't fix it for free either. Good luck spending $50k+ on that new MC to fix something a vinyl guy could address for less than $100.

^^^what he said^^^

are you switching brands because of poor customer service or shoddy workmanship?

find an automotive interior repair man in your area and he will have you done for $100. We repair leather interiors all day long at our dealership. it is no big deal. dye it and move on with your life...or loose m oney on the boat when you sell and pay too much money for a MC.

just my opionion, not trying to be an arse.

:cry::cry::cry:

Dude,

Seriously...you are ready to dump your boat over this? You'll fit in well on the MC or CC websites...

Just had to chime in and say I have never used 303 on my boat. That stuff is just too expensive for me. I use the stuff you can pick up at Walmart that you use on your convertible top. 3 bucks. Works great and my vinyl does not have cancer.

Ya heat of the moment on jumping to Nautique. I was thinking this would cost 2K to have it fixed right. And yes i should have attacked it at first site but didnt think much of it as it was a small spec when first noticed. It really blew up last summer. Little upset that Malibu would call it a cleaner issue when i am so anal about caring for my toys and no other interior is showing any signs of this prob. Guess i should get some prices to fix it before going nautique. I think the windshield needs to be removed to get to all the damaged dash part which will not be cheap when it is all said and done. Thanks for the positive advise for all of you who feel my pain. Like i said i have a Acura Integra that is a 1993 with black dash that is perfect.

MC

Do you guys know how they "dye" vinyl/leather?...rattle can or spray gun. It is nothing but paint. If you remove a panel and the upholstery to have it "dyed", you might as well just replace the vinyl. Replacing the vinyl would be a $300 job at the most expensive place I know.

Edited by stroker-ace

Interesting that it is only on the Dark vinyl. Do you use the same vinyl/protectant/cleaner on all the Boats vinyl?

Ya areamike i use the 303 on the entire boats vinyl.

MC

removing the windsheild is a 5 min per side job...max. The first time I pulled them was to install new speakers. The job was sooooo easy, I now take my RLXi windsheilds off each year just for cleaning purposes. It's a simple process - remove a few screws, lift off the windsheilds, have the vinyl guy spray it, and replace and go skiing.

FWIW - both of the Malibu's I've owned have had vinyl repairs since they were new. I sold the first one after 6 seasons...it looked like the rest of the vinyl in the boat, and the buyer came from 2,000 miles away to purchase the boat. Same situtation after 4.5 yrs on my RLXi.

...recommended to use two people so as not to drop the windshield (as my Yoda told me they are ridiculously expensive to replace)

Edited by davemac

There's apprx 10-12 screws per side. Only one of them is thru bolted with a nut on the underside. Remove the rubber strip on the outside bottom edge of the windsheild to expose the screws. It really is an easy job.

I got great news today from Malibu!! Once again Malibu standing behind there product and keeping the consumer happy. They said if i remove the dash pieces and send them to Merced they will re cover everything at no charge. So in November when we finish skiing i will send them in for the work to be done. I am really excited for a new LXI in the spring of 2011.

Thanks everyone for your input.

MC

I have a 2006 LXI with 400hrs that spent its first 8 months at a private lake mostly covered when not in use. The rest of its life has been spent in my garage covered when not on the lake. I am way anal with maintaining this boat. It drives my wife nuts at times.

It has the black and gray dash combo interior that appears to have little burn spots that are growing. This is only happening to the black. I noticed one small spot on the piece that runs along the side windshield above the drivers arm rest in early 2009. Now these spots are showing up on all the black colored pieces on the dash (it seems to be spreading like cancer).

Has anyone else had this problem? If so did Malibu cover it after warranty? My local dealer said they could replace everything at retail cost (thanks alot)but no thanks a 4th season $42,000 boat with dash pieces that within a year will look like it has sat outside for 15 years in the sun!! I am currently waiting to here back from Malibu i sent them an e mail. I have a 1993 Acura with a black dash that is still perfect after 17 years. I hope malibu will take care of this issue.I will post photos if i can figure out how?

Thanks MC

for what its worth; and im sure you know, but "sunscreen" especially the spray stuff isnt good for vinyl. May bee some got on your boat and sat too long before it got cleaned off.

for what its worth; and im sure you know, but "sunscreen" especially the spray stuff isnt good for vinyl. May bee some got on your boat and sat too long before it got cleaned off.

It's funny you mentioned that. I almost said the same thing in this topic a while back.

It's funny you mentioned that. I almost said the same thing in this topic a while back.

ya we dont even let the spray stuff on the boat period, it sucks getting of glass too. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of Mark's pix for reference....

My dash is doing the same thing, on the very back of the dash where the window comes togather. I noticed it at the end of last summer and then forgot about it until I just started spring cleaning, I got call malibu and see what it would cost to have it skinned. my friends boat is also doing it (really bad) we both have 05 VLX's

removing the windsheild is a 5 min per side job...max. The first time I pulled them was to install new speakers. The job was sooooo easy, I now take my RLXi windsheilds off each year just for cleaning purposes.

You are so right. Just replaced the Infinity speakers in my RLXi with Polk DB651's today, couldn't believe how easy it was to remove the w/s. Took the opportunity to give the dash a really good cleaning while I was at it - amazing how much dirt gets in/around there. I'll be adding this to the annual maintenance list! :thumbup: