Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu installed the wrong Illusion tower on my boat

darthXTi

Yes, they have different widths for different beams. But I don't think they are even remotely interchangeable. Hard to put a 95" wide tower on a boat that is 100" wide. Not impossible, but not likely.

the dealer is the one who figured it was the wrong tower, so we have to assume that is correct.

95" to 100" might be difficult but the 21 XTi is 98" and the 23 XTi is 100", i could see that happening. 1" a side over 8'.

Stuff happens, you deal with it and move on.

In '07, there weren't any models with a 95" beam. The closest 2 were 93.5" (OP's boat since it's a Ride) & 98". I can't see mixing up a tower meant for a boat that is almost 5 inches wider. I supposed it could happen, but that's a pretty big difference.

In '07, there weren't any models with a 95" beam. The closest 2 were 93.5" (OP's boat since it's a Ride) & 98". I can't see mixing up a tower meant for a boat that is almost 5 inches wider. I supposed it could happen, but that's a pretty big difference.

The response is 90" in '07 but did it ever have an illusion?

It was an option for the Response, but not a popular one because of its interference with the ski rope. I can't imagine how slim the likelihood of that happening would be. I doubt that they've ever had Illusion towers just sitting around at the factory (or any dealer) that were sized for that boat. That seems like it would be extremely improbable.

It was an option for the Response, but not a popular one because of its interference with the ski rope. I can't imagine how slim the likelihood of that happening would be. I doubt that they've ever had Illusion towers just sitting around at the factory (or any dealer) that were sized for that boat. That seems like it would be extremely improbable.

Not to mention the giant "tower stretcher" it would take to get it installed!! :crazy:

Not to mention the giant "tower stretcher" it would take to get it installed!! :crazy:

They keep that right next to the pipe stretcher and box of bubbles for the level right?

They keep that right next to the pipe stretcher and box of bubbles for the level right?

Hehe, hadn't heard that one before..... yep, I think you'll find muffler bearings & striped paint in that toolbox too.

Well the mystery continues. I'll let you all know how this turns out.

Edited by darthXTi
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke with my dealer, and Malibu did in fact put the wrong width tower on the boat. I should have the new tower installed within the next two or so weeks.

I spoke with my dealer, and Malibu did in fact put the wrong width tower on the boat. I should have the new tower installed within the next two or so weeks.

Ya gotta love it when a plan finely comes together.

They must of had a nice warm cup of stupid in the morning. Did they have to bust out the tower stretcher to get that thing installed on the boat, I'm sure it wasn't easy.

is there any chance that your dealer is blowing smoke here? If they are a new dealer, are you sure THEY know what there talking about?? Something smells a little fishy...?

Believe me...Malibu did their due dilligence on this. They wouldn't send out a brand new $3000 tower to install on my boat for no reason.

Believe me...Malibu did their due dilligence on this. They wouldn't send out a brand new $3000 tower to install on my boat for no reason.

So were they able to identify what tower was installed? Your talking about bending the tower like 4" - 6" to fit your boat.

Has anybody seen a response running an illusion x? I've never seen anything other than wakesetters.

Has anybody seen a response running an illusion x? I've never seen anything other than wakesetters.

I'm running an illusion x on my response, kicks a**! And they did have lots in the plant in Dec 08 my tower had a hair line crack, and a few small issues that needed to be repaired. Malibu picked up my boat hauled it back to the TN factory and repaired everything including replacing the tower.

Edited by Boat Rocks