Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GoPro video camera

mcbean7

Stewart,

Sweet vids and thanks for posting. The first footage at 20m was really helpful. With the fisheye lens, I think being back 20m (60 feet, right?) will be too far to capture any useful footage since the rider will be too small. The main reason I wanted to get this camera is to capture wakeboarding footage for learning purposes. I'd like to see what the rider (mainly me) is doing correctly or incorrectly (knees straight or bent before hitting wake, holding an edge throughout or letting up, etc). In the kiteboarding clip, at 20m, I can barely make out the rider.

I wonder what the footage will be like if you mounted the cam on the wakeboard, between the bindings, pointing up at rider.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• areamike

• shawndoggy

• mcbean7

• TrickyNicky

I wonder what the footage will be like if you mounted the cam on the wakeboard, between the bindings, pointing up at rider.

I will make the educated guess of "cool, but..."

If you look at the snowboard vid that I did, it will look a lot like that, except that a wakeboard is far shorter than my snowboard (that was filmed on a 173cm board -- my avatar is a screen capture from the video) so it's unlikely you'd get your whole body in the shot. Secondly, you are going to have a lot of splash and spray so not sure it it would give you quite the quality you are looking for. That said, you could probably get a pretty decent view of torso-down.

It will be a really neat/interesting perspective shot, but I don't know if it will give you what you are looking for as a training aid. For instance, you won't really be able to see when your knees are bent in relation to the lip, because you are always looking backwards. By the time you see the lip in the video, you'll be in the air.

For what you want to do (review your own set), I'd put a 10 year old in the boat with a real hd handheld camera like a vixia hf100. They are way easy to operate and get extraordinarily clear video (especially if you have a blueray player that will play the files natively).

Edited by shawndoggy

Shawndoggy,

The more I think about this, the more I think you are right. I totally forgot about the splash factor too. I don't think this angle will give me any useful footage for learning. I don't really care to see 15 minutes of my shin, knees, thighs, and gut. :crazy:

Well, I think it's back to the drawing board. As of now, I'll probably go the HF100 handheld route.

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys.

Although, I think this cam would be fun to have mounted to a tube...not that we EVER go tubing! :whistle:

I have a nephew that is 4 this year. It would be cool to record his expressions on his first tubing session this season.

It's just you... :whistle:

Clear cache, reboot, etc. :unsure:

[/quote

Hmmm...I've tried rebooting. No good. I'm using Google Chrome browser. Do you know how to clear cache with this browser?

Hmmm...I've tried rebooting. No good. I'm using Google Chrome browser. Do you know how to clear cache with this browser?

Control Panel>>Add Remove Programs>>Uninstall Google Chrome

Install Firefox with IE Tab.

Perhaps you are missing a plugin. Can you view other youtube embedded videos here on the Crew website?

Edited by areamike

Mike,

Here's the strange part. I can view clips from Stewart's post, but not from yours. When I click on a link in Stewart's post, it opens a new window and I can view the clip. When I mouse over the clip in your post and click the play button, nothing happens.

Mike,

Here's the strange part. I can view clips from Stewart's post, but not from yours. When I click on a link in Stewart's post, it opens a new window and I can view the clip. When I mouse over the clip in your post and click the play button, nothing happens.

Are you able to view youtube videos I've posted in other topics?

Can you point me to one and I'll try. I can't remember if it was yours or not but I tried on another post and got the same results.

Edit: Mike, I think I found my problem. It's a Google Chrome issue. You are probably right...I'm missing a plug in or something. When I opened this site on Firefox, your video played just fine.

Edit: Problem solved. I downloaded a Google Chrome Video Downloader extension and it seemed to solve the problem. Thanks everyone!

Edited by mcbean7

Here are my first GoOro HD test vid's of November last year

the first week when the HD version came out

riding behind a BU

The Cam Is awesome as a helmet cam

the helmet view is SWEET!!! Looks like I'm going to be wearin a helmet this year while boarding. Shot thanks for posting the pics.

riding behind a BU

AWESOME!

I about threw up.

Get more video.

We'd love to see more.

I have the chest mount. I wonder if that would change the view much? Probably not. I'd say go for a mount on the nose of the Skychair thing either facing you and or in a forward view.. :rockon:

Good stuff!

Edited by areamike

riding behind a BU

You should be on a slalom on that water! Cool vids though.

That's right. My knowledge of them Skychair things is vast!

HEhe, actually, I was thinkin that the concept of "reading" was gettin by you. Go back and look at the video again.... maybe back up a little or get a little closer & see if it comes into focus better. :rofl:

• 1 month later...

So I finally got my faulty gopro HD replaced with one that works. Went skiing with the kids yesterday with the chesty on. The vid quality is very good. I'm definitely pleased with it. The interesting observation of the session? Wearing the chesty, you can actually hear my heart beating at points in the vid.

Edited by shawndoggy

So I finally got my faulty gopro HD replaced with one that works. Went skiing with the kids yesterday with the chesty on. The vid quality is very good. I'm definitely pleased with it. The interesting observation of the session? Wearing the chesty, you can actually hear my heart beating at points in the vid.

Awesome. No way I would ever snow ski. By they way, I noticed the same thing with my chest mount. You can sometimes hear your heart beat.

Awesome. No way I would ever snow ski. By they way, I noticed the same thing with my chest mount. You can sometimes hear your heart beat.

As a parent I get a little paranoid about the kids on the steeps like this... later in the day we saw a woman eject from her skis and totally "rag doll" down an adjacent chute for about 300 yards.

As a parent I get a little paranoid about the kids on the steeps like this... later in the day we saw a woman eject from her skis and totally "rag doll" down an adjacent chute for about 300 yards.

YIKES! :shocked:

And then there's the trees....WHAM!