Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What you guys think of the Titan Series III Tower?

Defix9

No, I didn't know that. I have to warn you then, if someone asks me for an opinion about a Vride with an Illusion on it, I'll probably tell them one.

BTW, I have about an hour or two of first hand experience on a 2010 VLX with the new G3 tower on it. I rode behind the boat & inside it while others rode. And I am here to tell you that there is a BIG improvement in that design over Metcraft designs. Time will tell how much better it is. But at this time I would encourage potential Malibu owners to consider a G3 or older Titan design over any Metcraft product.

I think the new tower is better to, much more substantial in design. I just hate the mounting options for speakers on it though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Bill_AirJunky

• Bobby Light

• Malibudude

I think the new tower is better to, much more substantial in design. I just hate the mounting options for speakers on it though.

I hear you. But like any new design, it'll take the aftermarket a bit to catch up. I'm working with SkySki & my local dealer to get foil racks designed for the G3. I'm sure other companies will be doing the same... hopefully soon.

I know for a fact that Nvboarder has had bushing issues several times, and being at the dealer I've personally viewed two boats that had gelcoat issues… So while these are only three examples combined with what I know to have issues and combined with the fact many others have had the same issues and is know in all facets from dealers, Malibu Corp., and Metcraft and many who've given their experiences should lend very credible evidence that there is an issue.

My bushings to date are ok, but the pins keep backing out and are something I keep having to check, on my Titan I never had to worry about it.

Choose to believe there isn't an issue or not that's up to you but to say there isn't a well documented evidence is just blind to the truth.

If I ordered a new boat it'd have Titan but the G3 may have addressed the issues I have w/ the Metcraft product.

I know for a fact that Nvboarder has had bushing issues several times, and being at the dealer I've personally viewed two boats that had gelcoat issues… So while these are only three examples combined with what I know to have issues and combined with the fact many others have had the same issues and is know in all facets from dealers, Malibu Corp., and Metcraft and many who've given their experiences should lend very credible evidence that there is an issue.

My bushings to date are ok, but the pins keep backing out and are something I keep having to check, on my Titan I never had to worry about it.

Choose to believe there isn't an issue or not that's up to you but to say there isn't a well documented evidence is just blind to the truth.

If I ordered a new boat it'd have Titan but the G3 may have addressed the issues I have w/ the Metcraft product.

Hopefully this wasn't directed at me, I never said there were no issues but I did say not all towers have issues.

Same argument with the HH. Some had issues some didn't, thank god I got a good one.

Hopefully this wasn't directed at me, I never said there were no issues but I did say not all towers have issues.

Same argument with the HH. Some had issues some didn't, thank god I got a good one.

My comment wasn't directed at anyone specifically. I guess the best way to sum it up is performance consistancy is severly lacking.

With regards to the HH, exactly.

@Mike,

I don't think that many people really know. Titan as a company was split - the rack & accessories division was absorbed by Malibu, but the tower division was reportedly able to reorganize as an independent company. *I believe* that they're still around, but I don't think that they're an OEM tower anymore. I could be wrong on both of those points. Maybe Paul with Bake's or Mr. Smooth can answer that question more knowledgeably.

EDIT: here's the Titan Wake site:

Titan Wake Accessories, brought to you by Malibu Boats

The Malibu Collection:

http://malibu.titanwake.com/

And then there's the Nautique Collection, including towers:

http://nautique.titanwake.com/

Interesting news, Tracy. Sounds great for anyone needing a sturdy, reliable tower on any brand of boat. Thumbup.gif

I'm not that familiar with their accessories but I assume if Malibu wanted them that bad, they must be descent quality.

To Mike & the OP, sorry about the hijack. As much disagreement as we have on the subject, I hope there is some useful info here that will help with your boat project.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Dude,

How do you inspect your bushings? What do you look for? My illusion X tower is on a new to me 08 Malibu....I think the boat was primarily used for slalom prior to my ownership, so the tower had little use.

Dude,

How do you inspect your bushings? What do you look for? My illusion X tower is on a new to me 08 Malibu....I think the boat was primarily used for slalom prior to my ownership, so the tower had little use.

It will be very obvious when the bushings start to fail. The upper section of the tower will have some movement up & down due to the bushings getting hogged out. As your rider pulls on the tower, and your driving the boat over over waves, you will hear the tower knocking up & down. The pins can start to work their way out of their holes. And you will be able to see that the hole in the bushing is no longer round but sort of elongated into an egg shape.

The bushings can be replaced. Although I'm no familiar with how it's done as the dealers have always gone that under warranty.

Interesting news, Tracy. Sounds great for anyone needing a sturdy, reliable tower on any brand of boat. Thumbup.gif

I'm not that familiar with their accessories but I assume if Malibu wanted them that bad, they must be descent quality.

To Mike & the OP, sorry about the hijack. As much disagreement as we have on the subject, I hope there is some useful info here that will help with your boat project.

Titan's accessories are of excellent quality, on par with their towers. Their spinners are the only ones that I've played with that have actually made me consider paying an upcharge for.

And I don't think that this was a hijack. The OP was asking if he should trade out his Titan for an Illusion. The ensuing discussion brought up many points that he wasn't aware of prior to asking the question.

Interesting Faceplant. I have the T2 on my 05. I think your referring to the big knob at the top that joins the two main sections of the tower together. I only break down my tower a few times a year, but have not had any issues with the process or the knob itself. Maybe they fixed it in 2005? I'd be willing to bet you can buy this thing in the parts bin at the likes of any Ace Hardware.

Show up at the NorCal WOW & we'll bring at least one boat with T3 for a test.

And one last point, I've recently become aware that there are a handful of dealers who have been recommending Titan over Metcraft for some time. Apparently they had so many issues with the Metcraft towers that they decided on their own that they did not want to mess with them any more.

Yeah,the knob they WERE going to give me was el cheapo. I forgot, MINE came with an allen bolt in it!!! They had not come up with a decent grip bolt yet... (That's right!! I had forgotten about that..) Anyway, I made several in 15 min for about $2.50. I welded a piece of 1/4" round stock to the head of a 1/2" bolt creating a "Tee" then I painted it chrome -(Gasp!!! Paint, not chrome????) and added a nylon washer.

Edited by Faceplant409

Yeah,the knob they WERE going to give me was el cheapo. I forgot, MINE came with an allen bolt in it!!! They had not come up with a decent grip bolt yet... (That's right!! I had forgotten about that..) Anyway, I made several in 15 min for about $2.50. I welded a piece of 1/4" round stock to the head of a 1/2" bolt creating a "Tee" then I painted it chrome -(Gasp!!! Paint, not chrome????) and added a nylon washer.

So you're not going to accept Bill's challenge by coming to WOW and find out.... Tease2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

@Mike,

I don't think that many people really know. Titan as a company was split - the rack & accessories division was absorbed by Malibu, but the tower division was reportedly able to reorganize as an independent company. *I believe* that they're still around, but I don't think that they're an OEM tower anymore. I could be wrong on both of those points. Maybe Paul with Bake's or Mr. Smooth can answer that question more knowledgeably.

EDIT: here's the Titan Wake site:

Titan Wake Accessories, brought to you by Malibu Boats

The Malibu Collection:

http://malibu.titanwake.com/

And then there's the Nautique Collection, including towers:

http://nautique.titanwake.com/

I posted what I knew about Titan / Malibu / Star one here if you want to check it out: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24826-whats-up-with-titan/page__gopid__364688&

-Paul