Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Polishing the Ski Pylon

The ski pylon on my '02 Response LX has some light scratches from my barefoot boom on it and I was thinking of polishing it. Has anyone done this to theirs? Any tips on products and methods you used would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

Gary

I have cleaned, shined and polished a lot of aircraft parts in my time, and it will take a lot of elbow grease or power tools.

First you must sand out all the scratches with progressively finer sandpaper; i.e. 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1400, 1600, and 2000. After you are certain you have all the scratches out move to the next finer grit paper. As you do this the metal will get brighter.

Second you must use a high quality metal polish i.e. mothers. As you polish the metal the mothers will turn black, pulling all the dirt out of the metal. Continue doing this until you are satisfied with the mirror finish.

Third, don’t scratch the newly polished metal or you’ll have to start from square one.