Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New ski

obski

If you get forward in turn to shut down some excess speed- you will get dumped OTF.  I think this is caused by the skiers they have involved in development, Wade, Drew, Chet.  All those guys have awesome technique and body position AT ALL TIMES.  Now, the upside is that if the skier is on that ride, doing things correctly, the HO will really perform.  I am not always on.

I'm finding that to be not quite as true on the newer models. On the CDX, it's definitely true. The S8 is less prone to dumping you OTF if you're on the front. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it is more responsive to skiing centered than the CDX I used to ride.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• obski

• HRemington

• skisix@38

• CarveItUp

I ski on the F1 how come you have not mentioned that ski at all?  Do you like it or have not used it?

If you were asking me, I have never riden it. I saw Terry winter ride it though 3 @41. That's the only time I've ever seen him ski though so I couldn't say that he does well on it. I've also never heard anyone, ever, give it a glowing review. My experience is that people say it's "ok". Usually skiers are excited about their ski so it makes me wonder. It's heavy.

Ok the older ones where heavier.. The new one is much lighter now. I really like mine and have done well on it now. So here is your first glowing review of it... ROFL.gif

My Carbonworx blank is 3.1 lbs, the D3 X5 is 4 lbs, the Goode 9700 is 3lbs.....

5-6lbs is still heavy. I'm glad you're doing well and having fun on it!

Ok the older ones where heavier.. The new one is much lighter now.  I really like mine and have done well on it now.  So here is your first glowing review of it...  ROFL.gif

The EP skiing style, the way it is best riden, is centered.  The HO's are by and large best riden on the tail.  Those two styles of turn are very different.  Your friend is used to the  centered style and should stay with it, unless he is want to change his style as well, in that case go with what's least expensive.

I think if you look around enough you'll find an X5 for that money or a custom 4 or a KD platinum.  Keep looking.

Hank,

Your friend will have a more difficult time converting to any HO product if he's used to the EP.  The EP has round bevels and so he should stick to Goode, D3, KD or Carbonworx. 

skisix, could you elaborate a bit more on this point...how would an HO tend to act with him? My main problem in moving him to any of the recommended skis will be price point, unless I get a 2002 or 2003 demo or blem. I looked at the D3 website, and there are some cheaper older demos, but then I'm not really sure what to go with...custom X 2, 4, tightline, etc. I'm afraid budget will make the X5 off limits. Is there another ski in the Triumph range that might work? I'd like to hold it to $400 with front boot and RTP.

Check this out for your buddy:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain...postid=SIA02571

Cheers.gif

skisix@38 Posted Today, 01:02 PM

5-6lbs is still heavy.

I'm going to really show my ignorance here, but how does the weight of a ski affect it's performance? My KD Platinum weighs over 190 lbs. with my feet in the bindings. Biggrin.gif

Difficult to imagine that a couple pounds less could make much difference.

I was looking at upgrading to the Vengeance before next season after Santa brings a OJ XMP prop. I have ridden a friends Vengeance. a couple of times and seemed smooth, than again I'm not a great skier. I now am wondering if that ski will fit the bill after reading comments on it. The burner is a very forgiving ski and great when it's rough but it's seems slow and harder to carve and slice than the Vengeance. Or should I just stick to big bertha and work on my skiing form...

.... should I just stick to big bertha and work on my skiing form...

A new ski won't correct bad form. It will make skiing more enjoyable once you correct your form but it won't do it for you. Stay on edge all the way through the second wake and don't stare at the wake as you approach it. Fingerwag.gif

.... should I just stick to big bertha and work on my skiing form...

A new ski won't correct bad form. It will make skiing more enjoyable once you correct your form but it won't do it for you. Stay on edge all the way through the second wake and don't stare at the wake as you approach it. Fingerwag.gif

Somehow I knew that, just trying to gain any edge (Pun intened) I can.

Its difficult to explain but, the lighter the ski the less resistence to a change in movement, like an edge change. The other benefit is that they are easier to keep out in front of you, or, said another way is that the skier will feel like it's easy to finish of the ball without having to work hard at not going OTF.

skisix@38 Posted Today, 01:02 PM

5-6lbs is still heavy.

I'm going to really show my ignorance here, but how does the weight of a ski affect it's performance? My KD Platinum weighs over 190 lbs. with my feet in the bindings. Biggrin.gif

Difficult to imagine that a couple pounds less could make much difference.

I was hoping to get some more time in to try out some more skis, but it looks like this will have to be a subject to pick up again in March. I have been simply too busy to get out on the water and it's getting that time to winterize the boat. I want to try some other skis, but it will be hard to beat the Triumph for my skill level (or lack there of).