Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010's...lets see them...

key

A customer can get any trailer they want. The trailer is more of a dealer add on than from the factory.

On both of my Bu's I had Prestige trailers. Which is now out of business. Recession hit alot of businesses for sure. Could it be where the boat is manufacturered? either TN or CA?

Edited by travlnmannn
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennekm

• Candlewood East

• Bobby Light

• ds53652

On both of my Bu's I had Prestige trailers. Which is now out of business. Recession hit alot of businesses for sure. Could it be where the boat is manufacturered? either TN or CA?

No Bu's are produced in CA anymore....all come from TN. Trailer is typically the dealers preference...they usually get all their trailers from one place unless a customer makes a one-off request. Boatmate is what I would say is the official Malibu trailer since your boat will be delivered from Malibu with one...the others are ordered and shipped directly to dealerships. From the dealerships I've spoken to, some use other brands because they think they are better trailers than Boatmate, others use different trailers because they are less expensive than Boatmate....and closer = less freight cost. In MI, Skiers Pier uses a local trailer company called Eagle which has nice trailers. I know a dealership in TN is using EZ loader trailers. Many out west use Extreme. My local dealerships use Boatmate. But trailers in general have got out of control price wise! I was looking at my build sheet and retail on my tandom-axle Boatmate trailer is over $8500! And I dropped the two-tone option that was another $500. I think I'm in the wrong business.

Here is an Eagle trailer that I thought was pretty sharp.

post-12485-127237599301_thumb.jpg

Edited by bennekm

My local dealership had a VLX just like this last year....they tinted the windows and put Monster Energy M's on the side windows, had the tower speakers and lights powdercoated green and tricked out the trailer. It was is a great looking boat!

post-12485-12723759256_thumb.jpg

No Bu's are produced in CA anymore....all come from TN.

Really?? When did that happen and why?? I cant believe that they closed the CA plant.

Really?? When did that happen and why?? I cant believe that they closed the CA plant.

The cost of production in CA, again unfriendly to business and the fact the west has been hammered by the recession, which we are no longer in, and most of the boat orders were coming from the SE all culminated into closing only the manufacturing process in CA.

The cost of production in CA, again unfriendly to business and the fact the west has been hammered by the recession, which we are no longer in, and most of the boat orders were coming from the SE all culminated into closing only the manufacturing process in CA.

:rofl: Says who?

Love that color combo (I think those the same scheme as mine :whistle:) !!!! Wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures.

thanks. Will get some more pics up soon. Been crappy weather since I picked it up so hoping for some good weather and water time this weekend.

Hijack:

I have to differ with you on the cost of production in CA. In days past operators in my industry would command $30-40 p/h. Now because of the high rate of immigration into CA the cost of production has been hampered drastically. Now operators are in the $25-30 range. It's unfortunate that immigrants come from their country and willing to work for small wages but their living arrangements are no different than how they are accustom. Nice trucks with 22s but unbearable living conditions by our standards. btw I would be profiled in that group that I speak of. So I have seen these conditions and believe I have some kind of right to criticize my own race. IMO...not looking to start anything :rockon:

End of Hijack:

Hijack:

I have to differ with you on the cost of production in CA. In days past operators in my industry would command $30-40 p/h. Now because of the high rate of immigration into CA the cost of production has been hampered drastically. Now operators are in the $25-30 range. It's unfortunate that immigrants come from their country and willing to work for small wages but their living arrangements are no different than how they are accustom. Nice trucks with 22s but unbearable living conditions by our standards. btw I would be profiled in that group that I speak of. So I have seen these conditions and believe I have some kind of right to criticize my own race. IMO...not looking to start anything :rockon:

End of Hijack:

I think Malibudude allude's to more than just the wages, it's the total cost of building boats (Operating)in an over regulated state that's bankrupt. The EPA and state agencies have hand cuffed boat manufacturers with VOC emissions standards that aren't friendly to the boat building business. It's not just the boating industry, the industry which I work has heavy operations in Cali as well and it's a freakin joke. I don't blame Malibu for moving the production operation to a more business friendly state.

My local dealership had a VLX just like this last year....they tinted the windows and put Monster Energy M's on the side windows, had the tower speakers and lights powdercoated green and tricked out the trailer. It was is a great looking boat!

Yes it was! I've been looking at that photo ever since and will be adding the tint shortly. Fancy wheels and tower speakers are in the plans for the next year or so. Even without those add-ons though, I love my new VLX. It's my third boat and the nicest by far! Looking forward to the summer!

I think Malibudude allude's to more than just the wages, it's the total cost of building boats (Operating)in an over regulated state that's bankrupt. The EPA and state agencies have hand cuffed boat manufacturers with VOC emissions standards that aren't friendly to the boat building business. It's not just the boating industry, the industry which I work has heavy operations in Cali as well and it's a freakin joke. I don't blame Malibu for moving the production operation to a more business friendly state.

Yes, good ol California. They make it soo difficult to conduct business there, that it's amazing that there are any companies left there. That's too bad that Bu's are no longer being built at their birthplace.

Yes it was! I've been looking at that photo ever since and will be adding the tint shortly. Fancy wheels and tower speakers are in the plans for the next year or so. Even without those add-ons though, I love my new VLX. It's my third boat and the nicest by far! Looking forward to the summer!

They even had green LED's lighting up the wheels and the interior. I was really close to ordering my LSV just like it, but didn't want to have the second boat in the area that looks like it. So many people liked it they actually ordered in a LSV for 2010 with the same colors....but put too much green on it in my opinion (And forgot to order it with Maliview....doh!). You can see a couple more pix at munsonski.com...they also have pix of the 2010 LSV...but they didn't trick that one out yet. They did a black and white VLX with red accents for the boat show this year. Nice job picking out colors...that is one sharp boat!

Edited by bennekm

You can see a couple more pix at munsonski.com...they also have pix of the 2010 LSV...but they didn't trick that one out yet.

Don't mean to hijack, but I just checked out that website. Maybe I'm out of the loop and haven't checked out 2010 boat prices, but $78.8k for a V-ride, $89k for a VTX, $96k for a VLX, and $98k for an LSV???? Those prices are insane! If these are legit, I need to kiss the repo god's for getting me my 3-year old VLX for way less than half of the cost of a new one. Sitting here in shock right now. I hope every one of those are typo's!

Anyways, for those of you with way too much money, keep posting these 2010's, they all look great!!!

Don't mean to hijack, but I just checked out that website. Maybe I'm out of the loop and haven't checked out 2010 boat prices, but $78.8k for a V-ride, $89k for a VTX, $96k for a VLX, and $98k for an LSV???? Those prices are insane! If these are legit, I need to kiss the repo god's for getting me my 3-year old VLX for way less than half of the cost of a new one. Sitting here in shock right now. I hope every one of those are typo's!

Anyways, for those of you with way too much money, keep posting these 2010's, they all look great!!!

I think some dealers post MSRP's, so they can then discount and tell you what a smokin' deal they are giving you.

Badger,

I figured that, but listing a price like that online seems like it would deter some potential buyers from even speaking with a salesman. Online research is huge with today's technology, and I can't see why a dealership would do that. Seems like it is worse than just listing a "Contact for price" comment. I prefer prices listed, as most do, but listing an MSRP that is astronomical would definitely make me think twice on whether or not I could afford the boat that I thought I could, regardless of their intent on dropping the actual sales price significantly.

I don't know, just seems like a bad idea in my eyes. It may work and may not deter anyone, guess I'll find out if I ever purchase a brand new boat. No time soon though...

Edited by boardnxtx

Take 15-20% off MSRP to get an estimate of actual dealer pricing. Still wayyyyyy too much!

I bought my boat from Munson. Good people there and I got a great price. I have to say that I found a boat just like mine, at another very well known dealer, but optioned out different. The boat I found was 2k more than mine. But mine had about 9k more in options. My salesman hooked me up with an extra set of tower speakers as well. :woot:

NDawg: Kick up that percentage a little bit. I got almost 27% off of MSRP :shocked:

Edit: Munson has a demo 2008 247 LSV going for 68k.

Edited by travlnmannn

I think you are correct in saying those prices will scare people away from talking to a dealer. It would me. I bought my boat last year and after doing a lot of research on Malibu I finally decided the v-ride was more for me (budget wise) so I went into the dealer to check them out more and discuss pricing. LUCKILY....The salesman there mentioned "I can get you into a new 23LSV for the same price as a V-Ride but it would have to be one on the floor". Oddly enough when I first walked into the showroom I drooled over the 23LSV that I ended up with but at the time I never considered it as an option because the MSRP price was like $85k.

IMO, they shouldn't even list prices until you go in. I never realized how well thought out these boats are and the high quality until I saw one in person by someone who could explain the features. Once they showed me all the features I knew at that moment I had to get a Malibu and I had to get one soon!

But with that said, with the great deal that I believe I got, the boat is probably worth about what I paid for it now on the used market in this economy.

But its also one of the best things I've purchased in the past 20 years.

I want to add that I got 41% off MSRP but i had to buy off the showroom floor. Keep that in mind shoppers.

Edited by InvisibleMask

Badger,

I figured that, but listing a price like that online seems like it would deter some potential buyers from even speaking with a salesman. Online research is huge with today's technology, and I can't see why a dealership would do that. Seems like it is worse than just listing a "Contact for price" comment. I prefer prices listed, as most do, but listing an MSRP that is astronomical would definitely make me think twice on whether or not I could afford the boat that I thought I could, regardless of their intent on dropping the actual sales price significantly.

I don't know, just seems like a bad idea in my eyes. It may work and may not deter anyone, guess I'll find out if I ever purchase a brand new boat. No time soon though...

I thought about that exact thing after I posted my response. I agree with you. For myself, I've probably gotten over the sticker shock and it doesn't bother me anymore to see those MSRPs. But for someone just coming into the inboard market, they might head right back to the Bayliner.