Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Antifreeze for Winterization...

BBeakley

Not draining the block will allow that residual water to simply drain into the 'exhaust bin' and dillute the circulating A/F. Although, I agree in that it's probably not enough of a dillution to worry about. I plan to check the A/F left in the bin afterwards anyway, just to see what degree of protection I can expect in the block.

I am anal about winterization (read: I do a few buddies boats that sit relatively unprotected outside). I use the green automotive stuff at a 70/30 mixture. IMHO, the pink RV stuff provides no corrosive protection. Great for plastic plumbing, not for my engine.

I'm trying something new this year, something most marinas do when winterizing their floatila of I/O's.  After completing the usual tune up and fluid change, I plan to use a bildge pump and the Flush Pro to run antifreeze through the engine:

- drain block, manifolds etc. as usual

- place large plastic bin filled with some A/F under exhaust ports

- stick bildge pump in 'exhaust bin' with 10' garden hose that connects to Flush Pro

- power up the pump so A/F is being pushed up to the Flush Pro

- run engine for 10-15 minutes to let A/F circulate through all (including heater & shower), all the while re-collecting the recycled A/F in the 'exhaust bin'

- Bottle up the unused A/F for use during next season's winterizing ritual

Painless.  Atleast, it seems to be when I see it done at the local marina.  Yes, it will use alittle more A/F overall, but it's worth it for my peace of mind.

That is basically the same as what I do except I use the red stuff in a big bucket on the swim platform and use a spare bilge/fat sac pump to pump it directly into the flush pro. I flush for a while beforehand with water to get the temp up and then pump through enough antifreeze that dilution should not be a problem. One bonus is that it winterizes my heater at the same time as the engine.