Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Malibu 247 Asking Price

jeffrey262

I will say sorry right up front,103 list somebody is smokin crack. There is not a boat in this grouping worth that$. I bought my 07 RXI for 26,400.00 brand new with trailer 340 monsoon loaded. Come on, your saying a top of the line bu is priced 78,000 higher( 07 verses 09) in this economy???

it kind of sounds like buying fine furniture. They sell it to you for a huge deal of 40% off . . . . but that is after they have marked it up 200%. Both parties feel like they got a deal.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffrey262

• Chia

• Bobby Light

• Ndawg12

I will say sorry right up front,103 list somebody is smokin crack. There is not a boat in this grouping worth that$. I bought my 07 RXI for 26,400.00 brand new with trailer 340 monsoon loaded. Come on, your saying a top of the line bu is priced 78,000 higher( 07 verses 09) in this economy???

I agree, the starting msrp was less than 80k, I think it's like 74,999. So what options are on this thing that add up to nearly 30K!!??

The options and prices are all listed above and they do bring the total to $100K+. Again, think furniture.

I think Mr. 37' can waltz in to the dealer, slap down a check for $68K and simply back up the Escalade.

You might want to go on a test ride with Rhino.... Wake surfing is the "BOMB"!! You will need a 247 for the best wake.

thanks! it is the bomb! and dont buy an x80 for surfing. the two motors create havoc on the wake and the speed can be difficult to control due to matching two throttles.

Jeff - you might want to take a look at a Mastercraft X80 if you're looking for crazy. Dual inboard, 28' monster: http://www.mastercraft.com/boats/overview/x80 Check out the vids on this page: http://www.mastercraft.com/boats/media/x80

Could be a good option, but if one of his desires is skiing, I'm gonna call "FAIL" on this beast. Heck, he can probably wakeboard and surf all day behind the 38'. Perhaps all he needs is a Response.

Wow! I can't believe all the positive information I am getting here. This is a great site. I just spoke to a Correct Craft dealer. He recently purchased a lot of boats from a dealer who went belly up. He has a 2008 Correct Craft 220 Fully Loaded for $47k. But....there is always a but on this kind of deal. The warranty becomes void. Let me explain the warranty. Right now if you purchase a boat and you have a warranty claim , all you have to do is bring it to the dealer -- no matter what is wrong, and they will take care of it for you. With this boat, you have to contact each manufacturer. Correct craft will take care of their boat, who ever makes the vortex engine will take care of their engine, and if the stereo goes out, you have to contact that mfg.....

So I ask, is this boat a good deal or a headache?

--jeff

If the dealer said it had a vortex engine I'd look into further. PCM, who makes correct craft's engines, make the excalibur and the ZR6 (now 409). In my experience, I have only had warranty items on my most recent new boat and they were all malibu related. So, if CC will stand behind their warranty, that sounds like a pretty good deal. Although there isn't much comparison between in and a 247.

I am confused.... are you buying the boat to look good on the lake or do you want the most functional boat for your kids water sports needs? If you want to drive a Cadillac on water get the 247. Sweet looking boat. If you want to provide a versatile wake for water sports and still look good then look into the Response Fxi. Less room, but you have your other boat for the large crews and cruising. Look back to my prev post if you haven't watched malibus video on the Fxi HERE.

Different strokes for everyone, but if the OP is looking at an almost 25 foot long boat, I don't think an fxi is his next best alternative. Heck a RLxi is bigger than that. I'd suggest xtis and all the vdrives before an fxi.

Jeff,

Where are you located? Are you wanting a brand new boat or would a used boat suffice? boattraderonline.com has a few nice 247's depending on where you are.

In the end, TEST DRIVE before you BUY! That may change your mind.

Here's a nice beast

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2010-Mal...47-LSV-95985675

Edited by areamike
Jeff,

Where are you located? Are you wanting a brand new boat or would a used boat suffice? boattraderonline.com has a few nice 247's depending on where you are.

Here's a nice beast

TRIPLE axle trailer?? These beasts weigh that much?

Jeff,

Here's a nice beast

TRIPLE axle trailer?? These beasts weigh that much?

I was thinking the same thing. That is a MONSTER! Shocking.gif

I agree, the starting msrp was less than 80k, I think it's like 74,999. So what options are on this thing that add up to nearly 30K!!??

Go back to my orginal post. I have a picture of the boat and a picture of the installed options. It is all spelled out.

--jeff

Jeff,

Here's a nice beast

I saw that boat on Boattrader and even contacted the dealer. Discount was 15%, so I passed. I Will purchase a used 247 with low hours. The problem I have encountered is the large number of hours on most of the boats. I was thinking if I can find a carry over model, I may be lucky to get a larger discount -- like 30+%. I spoke to a few people about recent purchased. The discounts they receivered were higher than 30%.

Edited by jeffrey262
I have an 06 247 with 8.1L loaded with almost every option that I have for sale. It has 300hours, and last year Malibu put in all new upholstery. I am only asking $53k right now. The boat was always stored indoors and covered.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=18935

You have a very nice boat. But it has too many hours on it. If I hear of someone looking for a boat like yours, I will send them your way.

If I may ask the OP, what do you consider low hours? Personally, I think 300 hours in a well-maintained wake boat has more life left than one with 100 hours that was not taken care of. I own a boat with more than 1200 hours and feel very confident in its reliability. If you can afford to buy new just to buy new, more power to you, but 300 hours is nothing, given that "average" is considered around 100 hours/year.

Go back to my orginal post. I have a picture of the boat and a picture of the installed options. It is all spelled out.

--jeff

Ah yes, I see it now. If you buy it you should call it Black Thunder, that would be awesome!!

If I may ask the OP, what do you consider low hours? Personally, I think 300 hours in a well-maintained wake boat has more life left than one with 100 hours that was not taken care of. I own a boat with more than 1200 hours and feel very confident in its reliability. If you can afford to buy new just to buy new, more power to you, but 300 hours is nothing, given that "average" is considered around 100 hours/year.

Cars/Trucks recommend an oil change around 3000 miles, in tow boats it is recommended around 50 hours. With that said 300 boat hours is like 18,00 miles on a car/truck.

Cars/Trucks recommend an oil change around 3000 miles, in tow boats it is recommended around 50 hours. With that said 300 boat hours is like 18,00 miles on a car/truck.

I agree, so the question for OP is, would he consider a used car with 18,000 miles. The answer to that question is different for everybody....but I know what mine would be. :)

I have an 06 247 with 8.1L loaded with almost every option that I have for sale. It has 300hours, and last year Malibu put in all new upholstery. I am only asking $53k right now. The boat was always stored indoors and covered.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=18935

You have a very nice boat. But it has too many hours on it. If I hear of someone looking for a boat like yours, I will send them your way.

How many hours a year do you plan on putting on this boat? If it's one of several you plan to own I would encourage you to honestly evaluate how many hours you will put on it. You can safely extrapolate that the average Malibu that is well maintained will easily get 1200 hours on a motor with no reliability problems (and that is a conservative estimate) so consider a used boat with 300 hours that has been meticulously maintained has 900 hours left in it. Assume the average avid water sports person puts 100 hours a year on it (considered well used and probably more than average) that's 9 years. Ask yourself how long you plan to own the boat. If it's more than 9 years then do the math on the price difference between well maintained used 1996 and a new 2009 over the extra 3 years and ask yourself if it's worth it. Just food for though.

Jeffrey, as usual a lot of opinions here. In my opinion, and many others here the 247 is the nicest looking boat, for sure the one you are looking at is sweet. Also, all you have to do is test drive all 3 of those and you will be buying the Malibu anyhow, so just go for it. If you or your son get into waterskiing (as opposed to WB/WS/surfing) then just go pick up a Response FXi and add it to the stable.

Jeff,

2009 Wakesetter 247 LSV 8.1 MPI

I own the exact same boat you are thinking of buying. IMHO it is the only malibu boat to own especially if you are going to have a few people that go out with you. I did owned a 2007 247 as well. I use it on a big lake in NH and I always have 4-6 or more people in the boat with me. Love the roominess of the 247. It handles like a 21 foot boat too. I back ithe baot nto my slip and never have a issue with the size. Inboad driver for 30+ years.

The fit and finish improvements/options on 2009 are worth it on the frontend and on the backend when you are going to sell it or upgrade the boat.

Maliview dash is just awesome to use. It is not the best waterski boat but I have barefooted behind it and slalom ski as well.

My kids wakeboard and tube behind it. I love the open layout and pleanty of room in the boat.

Suggestions to price out a 2010 same options and see what the difference would be as well.

2009 is already a year left over, so push the dealership to give you a deal.

30% discount is a very good discount on a malibu and there may be little to work down from here.

You can try to get the dealership to throw in free winterization, winter storage, wash, wax, for end of season and a couple of free oil changes.

Ask for all and you may be surprized what you might get !!!

Question: How is dealership's service department quality of service and friendliness? New boats WILL have some warrantee work and you will have to deal it at the dealership. IMO - service/warrantee quality is important part of the deal too.

However, It you do service your boats yourself, then buying a used boat may be a better decision. Stewarts boat is in beautiful shape.

If you want any specifics about my experience on the 247, feel free to PM me.

Dave touched on it and the advice is all over boating sites if you look for it but just to reiterate I would seriously take the Dealer into account in which brand you decide to buy. New boats often need some sort of trip or few to the dealership and a good dealer becomes worth their weight in gold.

Also, I thought Mastercraft's best wakeboard wake was the X-star not the X-45. A buddy has the X-45 but I hear it's wake isn't as good (haven't ridden personally so this is a question).

To answer your question for about hours, I'll tell you how many hours I have on my 2006 Formula: 100 hours. I purchased it new. I will not keep the ski/wake board boat for longer than 2 or 3 years. I spoke to a dealer today. He has a 2008 247, 400hp, fully loaded with the exception of the Maliview. He is asking $57. Never been in the water. Found another 2008 247 w/450hp fully loaded, $67K. So if I continue to look, I will find a great boat at a great price.

To answer your question for about hours, I'll tell you how many hours I have on my 2006 Formula: 100 hours. I purchased it new. I will not keep the ski/wake board boat for longer than 2 or 3 years. I spoke to a dealer today. He has a 2008 247, 400hp, fully loaded with the exception of the Maliview. He is asking $57. Never been in the water. Found another 2008 247 w/450hp fully loaded, $67K. So if I continue to look, I will find a great boat at a great price.

Not sure what your idea of a good deal is but if you have a number in your head why don't you just offer that price to a dealer. It sounds like you want it to bleed before you'll be happy. By the way these "toys" are meant to be enjoyed as well as admired.

I was actually asking what you consider low hours, not how many you had on your formula. If you only plan to keep the boat 2 or 3 years, 300 hours is nothing, but if you'd rather buy new that's your prerogative.

I don't understand why everyone is trying to convince this guy to buy a used boat. He obviously can afford to buy new, knows he wants new and isn't going to consider used. If I was in his position, I'd do the same thing! He's probably looking at the resale value, if he buys new or lets say used with under 100 hours, he's going to put less than 100 hours on it himself in the next 3 years, then sell it for a great price because it's still very low hours.