Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LETS SEE YOUR RIGS!

josh_tn

1 minute ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Question for you all - think a vehicle that has a towing capacity of 7,700 pounds is ok to pull a new Malibu 21 VLX?

Your help is appreciated...

For the most part, my 1500 Denali pulled my VLX great, I’m sure you will be ok.  The only issue I ever ran across was the high tranny temps on climbs.  On the flats it was good.  

"Once you've owned a Chevy for so many years, a Ford just feels uncomfortable in the interior". This is me also, I hate change! I looked at one 5.3 Denali and passed as I knew I wanted the 6.2 but the 5.3 is rare. Oddly enough my last 2 vehicles, 2012 Tahoe w/ 5.3 @ 88,000 miles the flex plate went out in it and my 2015 Sierra Denali, 6.2L w 8 speed @ 25,000 miles the torque converter went out in it. The 8 speed trans has issues it seems from reading on line. I don't think pulling the boat was the issue and I drive like old people so it isn't abuse. Both were taken care of by the dealer, 0 dollars and a one afternoon swap for both so long as they keep taking care of me I will stay with them. I never had an issue towing with the 5.3 with any of my boats, but I am not pulling over the Grapevine either.

Edited by wdr
2 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Question for you all - think a vehicle that has a towing capacity of 7,700 pounds is ok to pull a new Malibu 21 VLX?

Your help is appreciated...

Probably but don't tell anyone that you aren't using a WDH or an eco boost.  Are you using a canyon or a colorado?

Don’t hate the player but my wife wants to keep a 7 seater vehicle in the family. I want a truck but a 7 seater suits our family a bit better right now. So looking at the Audi Q7...

4 minutes ago, JeffK said:

It looked a little small to me just from a cursory glance at it. 

Depends on if you have the trailer package.  Trailer package typically gets the bigger cooler.

1 minute ago, wdr said:

"Once you've owned a Chevy for so many years, a Ford just feels uncomfortable in the interior". This is me also, I hate change! I looked at one 5.3 Denali and passed as I knew I wanted the 6.2 but the 5.3 is rare. Oddly enough my last 2 vehicles, 2012 Tahoe w/ 5.3 @ 88,000 miles the flex plate went out in it and my 2015 Sierra Denali, 6.2L w 8 speed @ 25,000 miles the torque converter went out in it. The 8 speed trans has issues it seems from reading on line. I don't think pulling the boat was the issue and I drive like old people so it isn't abuse. Both were taken care of by the dealer, 0 dollars and a one afternoon swap for both so long as they keep taking care of me I will stay with them. I never had an issue with the 5.3 in any of my boats, but I am not pulling over the Grapevine either.

This is my first Ford, always been a GM guy as well.  The GM HD trucks are coming up on a refresh towards the end of next year, so I didn’t want to buy something that would be old in a year.  If this upgrade came next year, I would likely have just bought another GM.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SCMike said:

The trans temp on mine went all the way up to 225 on my way to Tahoe pulling my 21vlx.  This past weekend, it hit about 210 on a short hill pulling the 23lsv.  That was one of the other reasons I justified the upgrade.  

This is where a stick shift shines.

ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, JeffK said:

It looked a little small to me just from a cursory glance at it. 

I guess you probably had the 8 speed and I still have the 6 speed, so apples to oranges comparison lol...

@SCMike I'm not surprised at those temps going up to Tahoe. I'd have to double check with a few of my contacts, but I don't think those are high per say. Either way, sick upgrade to the 250! They are very nice.

2 minutes ago, SCMike said:

This is my first Ford, always been a GM guy as well.  The GM HD trucks are coming up on a refresh towards the end of next year, so I didn’t want to buy something that would be old in a year.  If this upgrade came next year, I would likely have just bought another GM.

Really?  Crud...  I looked but didn't see anything conclusive. 

ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Well they hid the new 1500's really well - but I would be shocked if new 2500's didn't follow the new 1500's.

9 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I guess you probably had the 8 speed and I still have the 6 speed, so apples to oranges comparison lol...

@SCMike I'm not surprised at those temps going up to Tahoe. I'd have to double check with a few of my contacts, but I don't think those are high per say. Either way, sick upgrade to the 250! They are very nice.

My avy used to go up to 218 or so until I added a transmission cooler. Only allowed that temp for a few short trips.  After the install the temp sits at 180 (even when I had to tow my dad's G23).  

The 2019 GMs would make me move over there on looks alone, I am sure opinions will vary. I was reading they are moving to a carbon fiber multi-piece, multi-function beds as well. Easier to fix or replace parts and pieces as opposed to the whole bed was the selling point.

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

My avy used to go up to 218 or so until I added a transmission cooler. Only allowed that temp for a few short trips.  After the install the temp sits at 180 (even when I had to tow my dad's G23).  

Same with my truck, which is why I was wondering on the trans cooler. I have no idea what is included in the Denali package though. I'd assume it is included but :dontknow: 

35 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Yep.  The 2019s are a complete redesign for the 1500s.  Those will be available towards the fall. The 2500/3500s will be redesigned as a 2020 and be available the later part of 2019. 

http://www.gmc.com/trucks/2019-sierra-1500-pickup-truck?ppc=GOOGLE_700000001295282_71700000032077991_58700003831034683_p30543368769&gclid=CjwKCAjwzoDXBRBbEiwAGZRIeL76MF80MglXqrSJU45uikeht_pWBGuADFnJL38BXKlTcX_57md8FxoCqigQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

19 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Same with my truck, which is why I was wondering on the trans cooler. I have no idea what is included in the Denali package though. I'd assume it is included but :dontknow: 

My Denali had a trans cooler.  It was part of the tow package. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, SCMike said:

For the most part, my 1500 Denali pulled my VLX great, I’m sure you will be ok.  The only issue I ever ran across was the high tranny temps on climbs.  On the flats it was good.  

Thanks @SCMike - what was your Denali rated for, tow wise? And yes, the Q7 we're looking at has the tow package on it (so I assume bigger cooler, etc.).

Cheers.

27 minutes ago, wdr said:

The 2019 GMs would make me move over there on looks alone, I am sure opinions will vary. I was reading they are moving to a carbon fiber multi-piece, multi-function beds as well. Easier to fix or replace parts and pieces as opposed to the whole bed was the selling point.

I love the new redesigned sierra, it looks so good.  I just could not wait for the HDs to come out. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Thanks @SCMike - what was your Denali rated for, tow wise? And yes, the Q7 we're looking at has the tow package on it (so I assume bigger cooler, etc.).

Cheers.

9200lbs 

9200 is a lot better than 7,700! Will I be screwed with 7,700 pounds - we don't tow a lot...just here and there for storage or a hop into a local lake.

My 2012 5.3 Tahoe towed my LSV for 3 years with no problems, pulling or braking. But, I only tow 3/4 mile to the ramp and only have a 50 foot elevation change @ 388ft ASL. I have made longer interstate trips here locally with full confidence in the vehicle.

47 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Yep.  The 2019s are a complete redesign for the 1500s.  Those will be available towards the fall. The 2500/3500s will be redesigned as a 2020 and be available the later part of 2019. 

http://www.gmc.com/trucks/2019-sierra-1500-pickup-truck?ppc=GOOGLE_700000001295282_71700000032077991_58700003831034683_p30543368769&gclid=CjwKCAjwzoDXBRBbEiwAGZRIeL76MF80MglXqrSJU45uikeht_pWBGuADFnJL38BXKlTcX_57md8FxoCqigQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Other than the cool tailgate, I don't see all that much different on the exterior/interior. It has a lot of buttons, bunches of them on the dash. I typically buy vehicles where most of those are blanks anyway...

1 hour ago, SCMike said:

I hope they don't adopt the body on frame approach of the tahoes/yukons/suburbans.  I noticed the air buffeting issue in 3 of the newer style yukons.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

It definitely had a tow package, but the trany cooler looked a little puny.