Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LETS SEE YOUR RIGS!

josh_tn

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

The setup for our 7 day camping trip. Racks for the kayaks worked great.

IMG_3508.jpeg

Where are your journeys taking you?

Starting tomorrow over the next 12 days, I'll be heading to Barren River, KY > Lake Cumberland, KY > Gull Lake, MI > Torch Lake, MI > a pond in Indiana > Lake James, IN 

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

Starting tomorrow over the next 12 days, I'll be heading to Barren River, KY > Lake Cumberland, KY > Gull Lake, MI > Torch Lake, MI > a pond in Indiana > Lake James, IN 

We just did 3 days at North higgens state park, and 4 days at lake Otsego state park. It was our first true camping trip as a family and went pretty well. Our actually bed felt great last night though lol. You will love Gull and torch!

18 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

Don't be afraid to make a stop at Eagle Lake on your way up North.

• 1 month later...

My secondary tow rig. And the reason I’d never have a 150/1500 as a primary tow rig. It’s beyond me how people pull boats or RVs heavier than 7000 pounds with a half ton. 

IMG_9660.jpeg

IMG_9657.jpeg

2 hours ago, RyanB said:

My secondary tow rig. And the reason I’d never have a 150/1500 as a primary tow rig. It’s beyond me how people pull boats or RVs heavier than 7000 pounds with a half ton. 

IMG_9660.jpeg

IMG_9657.jpeg

I would replace your thermostat. Both your transmission and engine temperatures are high. The transmission is cooled via the engine coolant. It is a common failure point on the 4th gen Expeditions. The thermostat design was changed in the past couple of years. 

2 hours ago, RebesMalibu said:

I would replace your thermostat. Both your transmission and engine temperatures are high. The transmission is cooled via the engine coolant. It is a common failure point on the 4th gen Expeditions. The thermostat design was changed in the past couple of years. 

You have no idea how much I wish you were right. But the Ex has done this since new and the dealer told me that is just what happens pulling at the high elevations and long steep grades here in Colorado. 

The Yukon Denali I had before did the same thing. Two dealers and an independent transmission shop told me the same thing. 

What I believe the moral of the story is that if you are pulling the mountains in Colorado you are much better off with a HD. Which is what I usually use. 

3 hours ago, RebesMalibu said:

So I did a quick search and did find some info to what you mentioned. I’ll pick up a new thermostat (if it can go in my 2019) and give it a try. It can’t hurt. But my expectations are low. Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 2
On 8/20/2023 at 4:12 PM, RebesMalibu said:

I should probably start another post, but readers digest version is I spoke to a dealer today who confirmed I likely have a problem, but he thinks it’s more than the thermostat, but until I throw a code, I’m in “warranty purgatory “……

NorCalSurfer
On 8/20/2023 at 11:15 AM, RyanB said:

IMG_9660.jpeg

IMG_9657.jpeg

I went from 100’ elevation to 6,200’ elevation with a beginning outside temp of 98 degrees. The Ram 2500 temps didn’t budge. Granted I have a little baby Malibu in comparison but it’s great being over equipped. I have done it being under equipped and it’s stressful.

30 minutes ago, NorCalSurfer said:

I went from 100’ elevation to 6,200’ elevation with a beginning outside temp of 98 degrees. The Ram 2500 temps didn’t budge. Granted I have a little baby Malibu in comparison but it’s great being over equipped. I have done it being under equipped and it’s stressful.

My 3500 Cummins pulled my 12,000 pound 5th wheel over the same grades (faster than the Ex pulling the boat) and was at 167* tranny temp. My issue is I don’t want two HD trucks. 

NorCalSurfer
1 minute ago, RyanB said:

My 3500 Cummins pulled my 12,000 pound 5th wheel over the same grades (faster than the Ex pulling the boat) and was at 167* tranny temp. My issue is I don’t want two HD trucks. 

Totally get it. This trip started with me solo and the wife came up with the kid  and dog a few days later so we had two rigs. If we were all going together we would have all been in the Denali. It probably would have been ok being I have a 21’ boat.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

The tech is kindof bonkers, isn't it?

Make sure you get the trailer brake module update done when it goes for first service.

Ugg, what is the update for?  

2 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Ugg, what is the update for?  

The genius engineers at GM never bothered testing the 2024 electrical architecture towing a trailer that has a battery charger on board (i.e. solar panels).  If the truck detects voltage from the trailer higher than what the truck is pushing, it disables the trailer brakes for... reasons???  The fix is to replace it with the 2023 module or disable your solar panels until you get the fix.  Infuriating.

10 hours ago, UWSkier said:

The genius engineers at GM never bothered testing the 2024 electrical architecture towing a trailer that has a battery charger on board (i.e. solar panels).  If the truck detects voltage from the trailer higher than what the truck is pushing, it disables the trailer brakes for... reasons???  The fix is to replace it with the 2023 module or disable your solar panels until you get the fix.  Infuriating.

Seems like a diode would be the easy fix.

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Kind of odd that the trailer didn't have one to begin with.  Any trailer with a backup battery should not be feeding that voltage back into the truck

That's how all RVs are wired.  They build these things as cheaply as possible.  Can't possibly include a $4 diode.

I finally drank the koolaid in this thread (and others) and upgraded to a super duty.   Have to admit, it sure is nice pulling with a HD truck compared to a half-ton.  It's night and day if you have any payload in the vehicle in particular.  I'll post up a pic when I get a chance. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, UWSkier said:

We'll see what happens when I plug in the fiver.  Fingers crossed.  I had "handshake" issues between the 2020 and my fiver I just traded when I first got the 2020 and learned some EOH controllers are more compatible with GM electronics than others when the brakes didn't work at first and when it was throwing error codes.  I replaced something on the trailer side and it worked great afterward but I can't say I remember exactly what I did.

The systems these days are getting more and more complicated on both sides of the chain.  I kinda look at it a bit the HDMI cords and home theater.   All the newish tech is pretty awesome when it all works, bit it's tough to get all these (many times) standardless electronics made by different companies to talk to each other without some kinks to work out.  So I agree it is a little frustrating.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 3 weeks later...